Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ivan Toney

Comments

• Options
    One thing that i don't get with this or any footballer that bets (maybe @bobmunro could shed some light).

Toney made over 200 bets in a 4 year period. I'm going to assume (but might be wrong) that the account wasn't in his own name as that'd be too obvious. So how does something like this get found out? Would it have been the amount he was betting (as a footballer probably a lot), the type of bets etc that raised suspicions? 

Would it have actually been spotted early but he was losing money so the bookie kept quiet, but then he started winning and they didn't like it so outed him? 
  • Options
    Maybe he was betting on the horses.
    Anybody know if he made any money from his gambling?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Maybe now is the chance for the man to get help.

https://responsiblegambling.bet365.com/contact-us
    Hardly needs help. 232 bets in 4 years is only slightly more than 1 bet per week.

I'd say he's guilty of being an idiot more than being a gambling addict. 
  • Options
    Doesn’t that depend on the amount he gambles?
    I wonder if the investigation includes something like online Poker or Roulette.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Why would it? He has been found guilty of betting on football, which is prohibited by all the football authorities. What he does in terms of bets on other types of event is entirely his business.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    seth plum said:
    Why would it? He has been found guilty of betting on football, which is prohibited by all the football authorities. What he does in terms of bets on other types of event is entirely his business.
    Thank you for this information.
    I imagine he won vast sums of money through gambling.
  • Options
    One thing that i don't get with this or any footballer that bets (maybe @bobmunro could shed some light).

Toney made over 200 bets in a 4 year period. I'm going to assume (but might be wrong) that the account wasn't in his own name as that'd be too obvious. So how does something like this get found out? Would it have been the amount he was betting (as a footballer probably a lot), the type of bets etc that raised suspicions? 

Would it have actually been spotted early but he was losing money so the bookie kept quiet, but then he started winning and they didn't like it so outed him? 
    Or one of his mates is a grass...
  • Options
    Are footballers allowed to bet on football abroad? 
  • Options
    Toney's headline grabbing punishment way out of step with FA, EPL & EFL craven subservience to the toxic parasitic gambling industry.
    Toney's punishment probably fair enough even just for the level of stupidity displayed.
    All advertising, sponsorship and publicity for gambling products and brands has to end.  If that cuts chunks out of football's budgets, so be it, it's blood money pure and simple. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Are footballers allowed to bet on football abroad? 
    They are not permitted to bet on any football match taking place anywhere in the world.
  • Options
    What if you’re a registered Sunday League footballer?
    Or referee?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Or referee?
    Step 5 and Below

The betting rules are different for those Participants involved solely with a club at Step 5 of the National League System and below and for any Match Official, referee, coach or referee assessor, operating at Level 4 or below.

No Participant can bet on a match or competition in which they are involved that season, or which they can influence, or any other football-related matter concerning the league that they play in.

Participants are also prohibited from using or passing inside information for betting.

These are the only Participants who will not be subject to the worldwide ban.

All here: https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/policies/betting-rules

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    seth plum said:
    Or referee?
    Step 5 and Below

The betting rules are different for those Participants involved solely with a club at Step 5 of the National League System and below and for any Match Official, referee, coach or referee assessor, operating at Level 4 or below.

No Participant can bet on a match or competition in which they are involved that season, or which they can influence, or any other football-related matter concerning the league that they play in.

Participants are also prohibited from using or passing inside information for betting.

All here: https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/policies/betting-rules

Thank you for this information.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    seth plum said:
    Or referee?
    Step 5 and Below

That's even more bizarre really. So a player at Erith & Belvedere (step 5) would've been able to have a bet this season, but because they won the league and will now be step 4 it means next season he won't be allowed to. What's the difference? Why is step 5 ok but 4 is forbidden?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    seth plum said:
    Or referee?
    Step 5 and Below

That's even more bizarre really. So a player at Erith & Belvedere (step 5) would've been able to have a bet this season, but because they won the league and will now be step 4 it means next season he won't be allowed to. What's the difference? Why is step 5 ok but 4 is forbidden?
    I'd assume the higher up the pyramid they are, the more chance they'd have of knowing league players who could influence games (as far fetched as that sounds)
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    seth plum said:
    Or referee?
    Step 5 and Below

I'd assume the higher up the pyramid they are, the more chance they'd have of knowing league players who could influence games (as far fetched as that sounds)
    Don't think its far fetched at all. Look at Toney who has played everywhere from League 2 to the premier league. Chances are he played with players on the way down who are in non-league now.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Toney and all PFA members will have been warned countless number of times of the consequences. We are not talking about one or two slips. There were 232 betting breaches!!!
    Sadly for him, history tells us that his greatest comeuppance from what looks like a gambling addiction is probably post-retirement bankruptcy. It’s a bloody curse for these wealthy ex-Premiership footballer that we’ve seen too many times. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    meldrew66 said:
    Toney and all PFA members will have been warned countless number of times of the consequences. We are not talking about one or two slips. There were 232 betting breaches!!!
    Sadly for him, history tells us that his greatest comeuppance from what looks like a gambling addiction is probably post-retirement bankruptcy. It’s a bloody curse for these wealthy ex-Premiership footballer that we’ve seen too many times. 
    It’s an ill wind and all that.
    Ex rich footballers will impoverish themselves and like as not drag their families into destitution, but the up side is it enriches gambling companies who generously provide the money draining service.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    John Terry was banned for four matches for racism.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    meldrew66 said:
    It’s an ill wind and all that.
    Ex rich footballers will impoverish themselves and like as not drag their families into destitution, but the up side is it enriches gambling companies who generously provide the money draining service.

So the problem with ex rich footballers who impoverish themselves and their families is entirely due to gambling? What's your evidence for that, Seth? That may well be the reason for some, but it is not the norm.

The real issue is giving an 18 year old a £10,000 a week contract, increasing to multiples of that as they develop and are sold on who has had, more than likely, a very poor education and spends the money on big houses and fast cars, not having a reasoned thought as to what he will do when his fairly short career ends and leaves him with 40 odd years of retirement when his income drops from tens of thousands a week to pretty much zero. Nowhere near enough is done with footballers in terms of financial education and planning for that long retirement.

There are many ex-footballers who are very savvy with their money and invest wisely to provide a very good standard of living for themselves and their families post career. But there are some that don't. I know both types.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Yes.
    Didn’t the great Clive Mendonca exercise his freedom of choice and lose it all, yet Robbie Fowler put his money into property and got rich?
    I imagine solicitors and estate agents benefit from the Fowler savvy, and gambling companies benefitted from the freedom of choice exercised by Mendonca.
    Did I say entirely?
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    seth plum said:
    Yes.
    Didn’t the great Clive Mendonca exercise his freedom of choice and lose it all, yet Robbie Fowler put his money into property and got rich?
    I imagine solicitors and estate agents benefit from the Fowler savvy, and gambling companies benefitted from the freedom of choice exercised by Mendonca.
    Did I say entirely?
    You said: Ex rich footballers will impoverish themselves and like as not drag their families into destitution but the up side is it enriches gambling companies who generously provide the money draining service.

You didn't say:  Some Ex rich footballers may impoverish themselves by gambling and like as not drag their families into destitution but the up side is it enriches gambling companies who generously provide the money draining service.

You are a linguist and know exactly what you are saying. I am a linguist and can smell it a mile off.

I stand by my claim that the main issue with ex-footballers getting into financial difficulty is a lack of financial literacy.

• Options
    I apologise for not modifying what I said with the use of the word ‘some’.
    Just as I didn’t say impoverishment was entirely down to the gambling companies.
  • Options
    Male footballers have £6420 paid into their pension pot annually by the PFA
    Obviously they can contribute more themselves
  • Options
    I read that a number of PL clubs are wanting ti sign him for an amount that Brentford could not refuse. So they are probally looking to the future without him anyway.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Yes.
    Did I say entirely?
    Good comparison. I’m sure Mendonca and Fowler were on the same sort of salary.
  • Options
    Brentford 'happy' to keep him .. is that on full pay til January ? .. England career done I should think .. foolish young man