Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Meat Loaf - RIP

Comments

• Wow. Legend. RIP. 
  • RIP. Loved the Bat Out of Hell album. Still have it somewhere!
  • RIP big man.
  • Picked up Bat Out of Hell on vinyl from Rat Records in Camberwell for £2 in 2015. Best 2 quid I've ever spent.
  • I wasn’t a fan of his music.
    Our sister brought home Bat out of Hell when I was 7.
    But as I grew up he kept popping up on TV shows or in films & I really started to like him.
    Anything for love came out & cemented the fact his music for me was just not my thing.
    But I really liked him.

RIP Meatloaf, thank you for the entertainment ♥️
  • Listened to the Bat out of Hell album driving in this morning as a mark of respect for the big man. One of the great albums to drive (too fast) to.  

RIP Sir.
  • R.I.P. big man!

Great singer! Some truly classic & memorable songs.

I enjoyed his Fight Club performance too!

"His name is Robert Paulsen!"
  • Stefco said:
    R.I.P. big man!

Great singer! Some truly classic & memorable songs.

I enjoyed his Fight Club performance too!

"His name is Robert Paulsen!"
    i heard on the radio earlier that he appeared in 60 odd films!
  • Saw him live no less than 5 times.
    One of the truly great entertainers. 
    RIP big man.
  • Sponsored links:

• Totally over-the-top and all the better for it.  Bat Out of Hell is a truly classic album.
  • RIP Marvin, greatest Rock Opera singer ever!

''There were nights when the wind was so cold That my body froze in bed if I just listened to it right outside the window There were days when the sun was so cruel That all the tears turned to dust and I just knew my eyes were drying up forever I finished crying in the instant that you left And I can't remember where or when or how And I banished every memory you and I have ever made But when you touch me like this (touch me like this) And you hold me like that (hold me like that) I just have to admit that it's all coming back to me When I touch you like this (touch you like this) And I hold you like that (hold you like that) It's so hard to believe but it's all coming back to me now It's all coming back It's all coming back to me now''

It's all coming back It's all coming back to me now,  superb as were many other tracks!
  • Such a shame. Another part of the soundtrack to our lives gone. Timeless music. RIP big man. 
  • Sad news, RIP Meat Loaf. Less than a year after Jim Steinman passed away, what a combination they were

• RIP Meatloaf
    Really sad news hearing this and was part of my growing up years listening to his music and has brought back many memories,have Two Out Of Three Ain’t Bad playing now.
    Managed to see him perform live four times and was by far the best concerts I have been too
  • edited January 2022
    Great performer and music. Big man, big loss.
    RIP
  • From the the moment I first heard "You took the words" on the radio, way back in the 70's, I was blown away. 
    No album has influenced me in the way Bat out of Hell did. Saw him at Wembley, got the Album in Blood red vinyl somewhere.
    Felt like I knew him, he was such a good, down to earth man by all accounts.
    Really gutted at this news, but was kind of expecting it as he's been in poor health for a long time. A word too for the brilliant Jim Steinman, a genius songwriter and producer. 
    What a combination they were!
    RIP Big man
  • As others have said big loss to the world of Rock And Roll. Iconic voice. 

Him and Steinman were match made in heaven. His voice seemed to awaken the words made by Jim in such a way that it became rude if you didn't have the speakers up to 11. I remember years ago in The Marquis near Charring x they had Bat out of hell on. Place was packed but I asked if it could be played louder, so they did, before you knew it at least half the pub was singing along. 
  • cafctom said:
    RIP Meat Loaf.

Always been a massive fan of the rock ballad, and he is pretty much as good as it gets.
    You took the words right out of my mouth

RIP Meat
  • His name was Robert Paulson.
  • Sponsored links:

• RIP and what a shame.

I have a copy of bat out of hell LP that has "not for resale" stamped all over it from the seventies before it came out on general release.

My uncle was a public relations officer who did some promo work with him in London before it came out. Not sure if it is worth anything these days. I was told not to play it to anyone else or make copies of it.
  • Really sad about this one.  One of my favourites
  • One of the greats. R.I.P.
  • Carter said:
    Anyone who says they didn't like Meatloaf was a little bit dead inside, what a performer and voice 

It struck me today he never clarified what the 'that' was he wouldn't do for love. Not to my mind anyway which is a bit cool that it remains a mystery for my own rancid mind to pour over 

Rest in peace big fella 

"Jim Steinman, who I worked with and had great success with, wrote the song," he recalled. "When we were recording it, Jim brings up the thing - he says, 'People aren't gonna know what that is.' I said, 'Of course they are. How can they not know?' He goes, 'They're not gonna.'"

So what is "that"? "It's the line before every chorus," explained Loaf. "There's nine of them, I think. The problem lies because Jimmy likes to write, so you forget what the line was before you get to 'I won't do that.'" (Some of the things the song says he won't do: forget the way you feel right now; forgive himself if you don't go all the way tonight; do it better than he does it with you, so long; and stop dreaming of you every night of his life.)

Of course, this isn't the first time "Anything for Love" has been explained - Meat did it with a blackboard and a pointer during his VH1 Storytellers performance of the song - but Wentworth pressed for a few more examples of things he might or might not do for love, including going vegan, recording a song with Justin Bieber or taking a bullet.

One thing he probably wouldn't do? Give up P.F. Chang's lettuce wraps, which he revealed are his post-gig treat of choice.

• Carter said:
    Anyone who says they didn't like Meatloaf was a little bit dead inside, what a performer and voice 

It struck me today he never clarified what the 'that' was he wouldn't do for love. Not to my mind anyway which is a bit cool that it remains a mystery for my own rancid mind to pour over 

Rest in peace big fella 
    Got to be anal, can't be anything else surely?
  • Carter said:

Rest in peace big fella 
    Got to be anal, can't be anything else surely?
    More like get married.
  • His music wasn't my cup of tea, but by all accounts he was a great fella.

RIP.
  • Bought Bat out of Hell in 1978 and it remains my favourite album. Saw Meat Loaf a few times including in Sheffield in 1993. Before the show a string quartet were on stage gently playing a few of the hits. Just as I was thinking ‘this is not how you enjoy this music’ a huge motor bike roar sounded behind the curtain, the lights went down, the curtain raised, and the BOOH intro blew the quartet away. Brilliant start to a brilliant show. 

His family said today that he was incomparable, and I think that’s right.