Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

An update ahead of the visit of Fleetwood Town this weekend

Comments

• Options
    This is probably what the original offer should have been in the first place, two non-ST holders paying half price each effectively, the only issue is that it's the ST holder again who has to take the time to purchase the ticket, pay the money, arrange for their friend to pay it back etc feels like we're just an extension of the ticket office at this point.

The club would have been far better making this one of it's incentives when selling season tickets, "Every season ticket holder can get 1 free ticket for a friend for each game" or something like that, at least that way people buying a season ticket knew what they were getting and fewer people would be feeling ripped off.
  • Options
    If this offer is driven by Sandgaard's wish to have a "full Valley" then it is wrong as the only way to have a full Valley is to have the team playing attractive football against other teams at least playing football and not hoofball which means the Championship, the occasional special offer can help but it must be backed up on the pitch.
    Exactly…. As a non season ticket holder I pick and chooses which games to attend. The input to that decision is the quality of performance being offered on the pitch, not the price of admission. I will happily pay full ticket price to watch a successful entertaining team. However, I will not turn up on a freebie to watch the shit that’s been on offer recently. 

Maybe non Charlton fans would come along on the freebie as perhaps a neutral
    would care less about how poor Charlton are performing. However, showing them an inept poor side with no defending ability, no scoring ability and no cohesion, is unlikely to produce a new fan. If anything Thomas could be recruiting new fans for our opponents……. 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    If TS wants to see The Valley attendances really improve , make next season's season tickets cheaper. £200 covered end , Curbs & west £300-400. Matchday adults £20 , kids £5.
    If he wants to see attendances improve, get us promoted, simple as. 

We will always be hamstrung in League One, no amount of promotions would fill The Valley in this league. 

Apart from the run in the EFL Trophy, the season is over, theres very little at stake in the league games to get people excited to go to a game, free or not. Unless things get worse and relegation threatens of course...
  • Options
    10 seasons ago the average attendance was 17402. That for a side that won a league title with over 100 points.

Only the die hards and those who want to pay £11.50 to watch a mid table league one game v Fleetwood on a cold Saturday January afternoon will attend. 
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    This would have been a good offer to have done for the Plymouth game, get season ticket holders to bring other people at half price.  Instead now the offer is seen as an increase as 3 previous games were free.

Does not feel like a joined up thinking policy at present. 
    There is no joined up thinking policy as he does not have the right people at the club advising him.
    Bring in someone like Varney or Kavanagh and start looking like we know what we are doing. 
    I don't care how fucking hard his son can kick a football we are an embarrassment of a club.
    What’s embarrassing is the over reaction from fans on here and on Twitter - You included 
    Oh do shut up.
    I agree fans on Twitter that become personal and abusive  are an embarrassment. 
    But this is not Twitter it's Charlton life and it's a forum for sharing our opinions. 
    Most on here think Sandgaard is doing a great job. 
    Some of us don't. 
    Get used to it.
    So this is where people take 2+2 and come to 5.

I don’t know anyone who thinks Sandgaard is doing a ‘great job’. I do though know many many people who probably think the abuse and stick he is getting from a very socially media vocal few is well OTT. But we are just repeating the same argument on multiple threads now. 

If you view is that we are an embarrassment of a club simply because we are in the third tier, then I also think that is OTT. You surprise me with that one mate 
    It's not just that we are in the third tier though Dan.
    Fuck me I've been supporting this club home and away for over 55 years. 
    I've seen us play at over 80 grounds. 
    I've seen plenty of  promotions and relegations. 
    But the things Sandgaard says and does just doesn't sit well with me. 

I really hope I have got him all wrong and he does a great job as our owner. 
    Time will tell I guess. 
    In the meantime I won't comment on him anymore as it seems to anger people that I have a different opinion of him.
    Good luck with that 😂
  • Options
    If TS wants to see The Valley attendances really improve , make next season's season tickets cheaper. £200 covered end , Curbs & west £300-400. Matchday adults £20 , kids £5.
    Cheaper matchday tickets may help. I doubt that reducing season tickets across the board would do much - it would mean even more people buying and not attending every game, probably. As the limited take up of free tickets shows, it’s not all about price.
    What would be your best guess of our average attendance, in league 1,if all the tickets were free for every game?

My gut instinct would be that we would struggle for over 10k most games unless we were winning every week. 
  • Options
    I start to get the impression that some people on here have not done the grocery shopping for 30 years or so. 

Or maybe Thomas and his team didnt realise that the punters won’t get it unless there was a huge banner above the announcement saying “Buy One, Get One Free!!!!!”

of course if they find Buy One get One Free on a six pack of Stella in Morrisons  they won’t be complaining like this, I suspect. 🤣 
    It’s not “buy one get one free”, though, is it? It’s buy a second one you can’t use yourself and get a third free. 
    Well you could look at it that way, but what we are talking about is a 50% discount on a second item, just like the six-pack of Stella. OK the saving does not go directly and automatically to the season ticket holder, bit of course if the ST holder is bothered about that the solution is easy enough.

I say to my brother, (who is not an ST holder)  let's go to this one let me get the tickets and we can take our nephew, but you both give me some wedge to spread the cost a bit. Pretty much the same end utility as if we bought 12 cans of Stella because we would share them between us. (not that such an offer would be made in the supermarket, nor would I touch it with bargepole if it was)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cheaper matchday tickets may help. I doubt that reducing season tickets across the board would do much - it would mean even more people buying and not attending every game, probably. As the limited take up of free tickets shows, it’s not all about price.
    What would be your best guess of our average attendance, in league 1,if all the tickets were free for every game?

My gut instinct would be that we would struggle for over 10k most games unless we were winning every week. 
    I agree it would probably be under 15k over the season. You've only got to look at the midweek games, where we have got down to less than 7k. That is large numbers of people who have paid not coming, for a variety of reasons. And even if tickets are free, travel isn't for most people.
  • Options
    Other than the bewildering nature of having so many offers, that news story on the website reeks of micromanagement, doesn't it? I'm sure the ticket office staff have more useful things to do than manually transfer my seat to some random person if I can't make a match.
  • Options
    Won't go this Saturday as a bus replacement service means a six hour round trip, however, had that not been an issue I would have got a couple of mates to accompany me and it would have made a better day out. Perhaps some people don't like the offer as it is difficult for them to find two friends!
  • Options
    Clarky said:
    Won't go this Saturday as a bus replacement service means a six hour round trip, however, had that not been an issue I would have got a couple of mates to accompany me and it would have made a better day out. Perhaps some people don't like the offer as it is difficult for them to find two friends!

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    I don't have a problem with this - its putting a bit of onus on season ticket holders to actually contact people rather than just printing the tickets off and worrying about who's gonna use them later - same people moaning about the previous give away now moaning about this. We - the season ticket holders - are the club, in my opinion and if we can't be arsed or don't think we should have to - help fill the ground, then why should the owner keep digging his hand in his pocket? Neither of us have to, but maybe its something we can actually do to help the club rather than just critcising and waiting for an up turn - every little helps !!!        
    And how many of the 9000 season ticket holders will be season ticket holders next season if performances on the pitch dont improve?
    And for me and I can speak for a couple of others it's not even about the results, I just want to see a bit of battle in the team.
    We can throw as many free tickets at this as we want.
    But imo if the performance in the pitch dont improve we will be lucky to have 6000 season ticket holders next season.
    And let's not forget we are average about a 1000 a game for the away games.
    Be lucky to average 600 next season.

• Options
    clb74 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    I don't have a problem with this - its putting a bit of onus on season ticket holders to actually contact people rather than just printing the tickets off and worrying about who's gonna use them later - same people moaning about the previous give away now moaning about this. We - the season ticket holders - are the club, in my opinion and if we can't be arsed or don't think we should have to - help fill the ground, then why should the owner keep digging his hand in his pocket? Neither of us have to, but maybe its something we can actually do to help the club rather than just critcising and waiting for an up turn - every little helps !!!        
    And how many of the 9000 season ticket holders will be season ticket holders next season if performances on the pitch dont improve?
    And for me and I can speak for a couple of others it's not even about the results, I just want to see a bit of battle in the team.
    But imo if the performance in the pitch dont improve we will be lucky to have 6000 season ticket holders next season.

I don’t disagree but there’s not a lot we can do about that but you can bring a couple of mates on Saturday for half price - I’ll be a season ticket holder next year regardless coz it’s what I do - doesn’t mean I’m happy about the team and I accept sone aren’t as committed but I’ll do what little bit I can to help 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    DOUCHER said:
    clb74 said:
    DOUCHER said:

I don’t disagree but there’s not a lot we can do about that but you can bring a couple of mates on Saturday for half price - I’ll be a season ticket holder next year regardless coz it’s what I do - doesn’t mean I’m happy about the team and I accept sone aren’t as committed but I’ll do what little bit I can to help 
    Committed?
    You've said yourself you get a nosebleed if you watch the team outside of London.

• Options
    clb74 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    clb74 said:
    DOUCHER said:

Committed?
    You've said yourself you get a nosebleed if you watch the team outside of London.

Who’s rattled your cage ? We’re talking about filling the valley you plum 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    DOUCHER said:

No we won't sell 9000 season tickets next season as it stands.  But season tickets, and attendances in general aren't as elastic as most people think.

Most people, if they hold a season ticket or not, quite frankly either go or they don't.  If your in the go category you might not fancy it because it's too cold, weather's bad, you feel a bit iffy, your mates not going etc and it is easier to find those reasons for a mid table league 1 clash against Morcambe on a Tuesday night.

If your in the don't go category you need a reason to go, even you have bought a season ticket out of loyalty or false hope or habit.  New manager, 3 wins on the spin, attractive opposition.

There are very, very few people IMO that don't go at all because it is too expensive.  Cheap tickets, of any sort, give don't goers a reason to go to specific games, possibly at the expense of a game they might have gone to over wise. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Really don’t understand this offer, why have they made the offer, that a season ticket holder can buy two tickets and one will be free. My son and myself do not have seasons anymore, we pick and choose. Now this offer may well have appealed, and I could ring up and get two tickets for the price of one. 

However, I now have to bother a season ticket holding mate, to put himself out to do me a favour and order tickets, pay for them, and arrange to get them to me. There is no benefit in this offer to the season ticket holder themselves.

That’s bloody ridiculous, and based on recent performances, I will not be choosing this game. Though with ability to just ring up and sort for myself, I likely would have. Paying half the price to watch a poor halfway up the table team, would seem about fair.
    If he / she is a mate surely what is in it for them is helping out a friend?  Why would there have to be anything more in it than that.  Frankly if you asked on here I would bet you would get more than one stranger offering to do it for you.  Cause a lot of people are just decent.
  • Options
    I can only assume that the pandemic has created an alternate universe where none of you lot are getting any & as such have become a bunch of moany old winge bags.

Its the only explanation for the constant moaning (of the wrong kind 🙄)
    Are you "getting" plenty then?
    :smile:
  • Options
    It's our fifth #FillTheValley attempt at the weekend. The result is that using the free tickets and buying singles on the day can now be cheaper than buying a season ticket in Zones 1,2 & 3 of the ground. 

• Options
    What are we moaning about now?
  • Options
    After a nearly 16 hour round trip to Cheltenham last weekend to watch a load of dross I really couldn’t be bothered to put people I know through watching Fleetwood, what ever the offer was, it’s just cruel!
  • Options
    We’ve turned into the most moany bunch of fans on the planet . 
    Even I can’t stop moaning but only about the moaners ! 
  • Options
    It's our fifth #FillTheValley attempt at the weekend. The result is that using the free tickets and buying singles on the day can now be cheaper than buying a season ticket in Zones 1,2 & 3 of the ground. 

Good work that 👍
  • Options

I sit in the AC stand block D which costs over £500. It is certainly something I will take into consideration come renewal in April.
  • Options
    What are we moaning about now?
    About the buy one, you get one free deal