Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chuks Aneke - speculation re 2023/24 season (p60)

Comments

• Options
    Kap10 said:
    If his headline weekly wage is £8000 a week it is unlikely that he will be picking that amount up while he is injured. Player wages are made up of a basic, appearance fee, win bonuses, and others such as goals scored, league position. Yes it's a hefty wack but could be half the figure bandied about.
    that's alright then....phew, he's only picking up £4k a week for sitting on his arse ;)
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Even if he was fit all of the time, 400k a year is stealing a living for who he is and what he does 

8k a week to play league one football.  His wages are an example of why football, us and so many other clubs are screwed 

Even if the actual figure is slightly lower, 6 or 5k a week say, it’s ridiculous 

He's not stealing a living, I think that term is a bit unfair.  Have a look at who sanctioned the signing and point fingers in their direction, it had to be one of the worst signings in our history.
    And thats the 64000 dollar question that we still don't know the answer to.

Who exactly sanctioned the signing?
  • Options
    The fact is, nobody is going to take him off our hands so we might as well try to sort out his issues even if it is unlikely we will. There are no other options.
    That’s not strictly true. There are very real costs with having an employee and especially if that employee is unable to carry out the duties of that role. Yes being a paid employee and professional sportsman are different to the normal job market but Chuks is a drain on resources. 
    That’s an interesting point and I’m guessing by saying he is a drain on our resources you are talking about the treatment and rehab work he gets from the club?

Would this not be something he is fully entitled to and part of his employment with the club? When he was signed on that three year contract they would have had the opportunity to conduct a medical and also have some significant history of his medical problems. If the latest injuries are due from previous problems the club should have known the risk and if they are new problems then Aneke could not have known about them beforehand any more that the club could.

As far as I am aware all his injuries have happened at work, unlike for instance Darren Bent who injured himself at home making a sandwich. I can’t recall a game where Aneke didn’t put the effort in when on the pitch (until getting injured) and I don’t think that can be said about all the strikers who have played for us in the last few years.

And when people say he is taking up a squad place, he doesn’t have to, if he is not likely to be fit between now and January we don’t need to include him in the numbers. It’s clearly a frustrating situation for all concerned, but in my view the blame lies at the clubs door. They could have not signed him and Birmingham would have been paying his wages.
    are you including his warm ups? He did not put effort into them at half time at the games i watched. Did you include the game when he got subbed off after being a substitute himself? That has to be slightly embarrassing for all involved.

You can talk about the obligation the club has to him, but doesn't he have an obligation to the club and the people that pay to see him? If i was paid more than my peers to maintain a certain level of professionalism I think I would make some sort of effort to be in decent condition - we have seen in real time his attitude towards being ready to play - a couple of half hearted kick ups. His injuries have happened at work; but if i was at work and i wasn't taking safety precautions seriously and managed to hurt myself i'd get the sack at some stage

wish I had filmed what I saw at half time on a few occasions because it's indefensible. Watching people running and stretching all around him while he strolled around was the most infuriating thing i've seen in years
    I haven’t witnessed this. But I really struggle to imagine that he would openly, as you imply, take the piss in front of not just his team mates but the Valley crowd. Not to mention the management. It also doesnt fit with his approach when on the field. He didnt hide, put himself about, and the last injury happened when he was chasing down hard a long ball that many strikers would have given up on.

The more common-sense view of it is that he was following medical orders with those warm-ups.
    I believe it was the Brighton game where he came on for less than 5 mins before going down like he was shot & had to go off.

I distinctly remember seeing him "warm up" at half time with the other subs. Sitting in the East they did their warm up in front of us & I remember remarking to my son that I hope Chuks does a proper one before he comes on because he was putting little effort into the one a HT. He was barely stretching & it was so half hearted. I know it was cold that night & he probably wanted to be elsewhere but I can only comment on what I saw. No idea if all of his other "warm ups" were this lethargic but it was no surprise to me when he pulled up after less than 5 mins on the pitch. 

I think it is more physiological than physical now with him & he probably needs to step away from the game for a while.

On his day he was invaluable. Sadly that is not him any longer. 
    Stretching muscles before they’re fully warmed practically guarantees damage
    As professional athletes with professional coaching they’ll know that
    On a cold night his warm up would’ve required plenty of time and would look gentle to begin with 
    If he took it seriously he’d need to build up his activity steadily to full working temperature 
    Maybe the serious muscle injury was bad luck? His calves have been mentioned repeatedly in his lengthy recent absences 
    if You believe in luck Chuks has had more bad than anyone else in this squad 
    I have no expectation we’ll see him contribute in Charlton red (or whatever colour the away kits are)
    one in a sizeable portfolio of Skintgaard stupidity 
  • Options
    Kap10 said:
    If his headline weekly wage is £8000 a week it is unlikely that he will be picking that amount up while he is injured. Player wages are made up of a basic, appearance fee, win bonuses, and others such as goals scored, league position. Yes it's a hefty wack but could be half the figure bandied about.
    Some even have a starting fee instead of the standard appearance fee. I would expect Aneke's contract to have a lot of add ons. 
  • Options
    Yeah but he's X Y Z 
  • Options
    This thread isn't really proving to be of any value.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    This thread isn't really proving to be of any value.
    A bit like Chuks 
  • Options
    The fact is, nobody is going to take him off our hands so we might as well try to sort out his issues even if it is unlikely we will. There are no other options.
    That’s not strictly true. There are very real costs with having an employee and especially if that employee is unable to carry out the duties of that role. Yes being a paid employee and professional sportsman are different to the normal job market but Chuks is a drain on resources. 
    That’s an interesting point and I’m guessing by saying he is a drain on our resources you are talking about the treatment and rehab work he gets from the club?

Would this not be something he is fully entitled to and part of his employment with the club? When he was signed on that three year contract they would have had the opportunity to conduct a medical and also have some significant history of his medical problems. If the latest injuries are due from previous problems the club should have known the risk and if they are new problems then Aneke could not have known about them beforehand any more that the club could.

As far as I am aware all his injuries have happened at work, unlike for instance Darren Bent who injured himself at home making a sandwich. I can’t recall a game where Aneke didn’t put the effort in when on the pitch (until getting injured) and I don’t think that can be said about all the strikers who have played for us in the last few years.

And when people say he is taking up a squad place, he doesn’t have to, if he is not likely to be fit between now and January we don’t need to include him in the numbers. It’s clearly a frustrating situation for all concerned, but in my view the blame lies at the clubs door. They could have not signed him and Birmingham would have been paying his wages.
    are you including his warm ups? He did not put effort into them at half time at the games i watched. Did you include the game when he got subbed off after being a substitute himself? That has to be slightly embarrassing for all involved.

You can talk about the obligation the club has to him, but doesn't he have an obligation to the club and the people that pay to see him? If i was paid more than my peers to maintain a certain level of professionalism I think I would make some sort of effort to be in decent condition - we have seen in real time his attitude towards being ready to play - a couple of half hearted kick ups. His injuries have happened at work; but if i was at work and i wasn't taking safety precautions seriously and managed to hurt myself i'd get the sack at some stage

wish I had filmed what I saw at half time on a few occasions because it's indefensible. Watching people running and stretching all around him while he strolled around was the most infuriating thing i've seen in years
    I haven’t witnessed this. But I really struggle to imagine that he would openly, as you imply, take the piss in front of not just his team mates but the Valley crowd. Not to mention the management. It also doesnt fit with his approach when on the field. He didnt hide, put himself about, and the last injury happened when he was chasing down hard a long ball that many strikers would have given up on.

The more common-sense view of it is that he was following medical orders with those warm-ups.
    I can only comment on what I saw on 3 or 4 occasions at half time, and I know I am not the only one who noticed it at the time because it was discussed at least by the people around me. Worth pointing out this was at half time when half the stadium were not in their seats necessarily, the players and manager and majority of coaching staff were in the dressing room. Maybe you're right that it's under medical orders I'd never really considered that. I guess that comes down to poor communication on injuries and recovery from the club (which is a drum I have banged on here for a long time) 

I get that it might not be a high priority for the club what with all that has been going on in the last year, but it almost feels like perhaps some kind of proper update - maybe a little video package with interviews with the player, the manager and the medical team (again, something a little outside the box) would go a long way to re-assuring people. I don't think any fan actually has a problem with Chuks as a person - in fact I know that there is not a fan among us that doesn't wasn't the best for him. I think he is brilliant.

It's the mystery and secrecy of it all that drives me crazy - similar things are happening with Leaburn right now - he got injured a week ago and all we have are rumours and speculation about what the injury even is.

It's like the club are just scared to tell us.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    SDAddick said:
    One guy on a forum says he didn't see Chuks warm up properly and now it's matter of "he isn't professional and doesn't take care of himself."

There are rocks softer than those quads.

Bowyer said it a couple of years ago, it has to do with his biological makeup. He's a huge dude and he's top heavy, and as a result it puts a lot of strain on his lower half. I remember what a doctor was once reported to have said about Jonathan Woodgate: he just doesn't have a body made for football. 

You can complain about Chuks "stealing a living" or whatever, but he didn't sign himself to a contract. And if he was scoring 40 goals per season, the club wouldn't have to raise his wages. There are risks in signing players on both sides. The risks for Chuks, who'd spent the previous what, three season with us, should have been well known to the club. On his day, he's one of the best forwards in League One. He doesn't play much. Someone at the club felt him not playing was worth the risk of him potentially being one of the best forwards in the league. They lost that bet. Take it up with them.
    The information you seek is in this thread.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Kap10 said:
    that's alright then....phew, he's only picking up £4k a week for sitting on his arse ;)
    I thin youll find its lying on the treatment table and you might as well get the facts right when you are making wild claims!
  • Options

I can only comment on what I saw on 3 or 4 occasions at half time, and I know I am not the only one who noticed it at the time because it was discussed at least by the people around me. Worth pointing out this was at half time when half the stadium were not in their seats necessarily, the players and manager and majority of coaching staff were in the dressing room. Maybe you're right that it's under medical orders I'd never really considered that. I guess that comes down to poor communication on injuries and recovery from the club (which is a drum I have banged on here for a long time) 

I get that it might not be a high priority for the club what with all that has been going on in the last year, but it almost feels like perhaps some kind of proper update - maybe a little video package with interviews with the player, the manager and the medical team (again, something a little outside the box) would go a long way to re-assuring people. I don't think any fan actually has a problem with Chuks as a person - in fact I know that there is not a fan among us that doesn't wasn't the best for him. I think he is brilliant.

It's the mystery and secrecy of it all that drives me crazy - similar things are happening with Leaburn right now - he got injured a week ago and all we have are rumours and speculation about what the injury even is.

I can’t believe for a second that a club that employs analysts, sports scientists, fitness coaches and any number of other backroom staff, would leave a player with an injury history of Aneke to just get on with his own warmup. I think his preparation for matches and training sessions will be prescribed by the medical staff and may well take place in the changing room with a physio stretching off certain muscle groups for him rather than him doing stretches himself on the side of the pitch. It would be negligent in the extreme to not monitor and input into how he prepares for games.

It’s easy for fans to form opinions on what they see without taking into account what goes on behind the scenes. What you will notice is that the subs that warm up / have a kick about at half time generally aren’t those that come on immediately after half time. I understand your want for more information about injuries and frustration when the club are hesitant to give that. In some cases I think you are right and that it comes down to poor communication, but I can think of at least two other reasons why they might be a bit more circumspect. Firstly they might not want to give the opposition an advantage in preparing for a game by publishing details of players fitness which might let them know on their likely availability. Secondly and I think this probably happens far less, but there is not an automatic right to know details about peoples medical complaints.

The situation with Aneke is frustrating for all of us and no doubt also him, the club, his teammates and the manager. Anyone who has ever had any lengthy period of injury will know that recovery is often not straight forward and injuries can sometimes occur in other parts of the body due to being overused in compensation or under used as a result of immobilisation of the area.

On the plus side the same type of contract which means we can’t just terminate Aneke’s employment at the club is also what stops for instance Miles Leaburn handing in his notice and playing for Aston Villa next month. Another comforting thought is that if the takeover ever happens it is likely that TS will be the one that absorbs the cost of Aneke’s contract, as surely when doing  due diligence and coming to a value of assets and liabilities of the playing squad Aneke’s contract with his injury record will surely sit as a liability and the total valuation should reflect that.

• Options
    Didn’t @sage share something about our approach to physiotherapy a few pages back?  Something along the lines of it’s not been that great over the years and there are a few holes we need to plug re:sports science?

I can’t remember how far back but I recall something referencing it.  

I know we’ve been badly run the last few years, but I thought this sort of thing should be bread and butter in modern day football 

whether or not it would help Aneke, I don’t know.  It seems to me, the club are just doing what they can within their means to get him fit, as I am sure he is as well, and hoping for the best.

The question I have, is, should Aneke being doing more?  Should he be paying out of his own pocket?  This is looking like his last big pay day.  He’s got 2 more years on good money and he may have saved a wedge and got a plan for post 2025.  If he hasn’t, then if I were him, I’d be spending money on specialists 
  • Options
    edited July 2023

I can’t believe for a second that a club that employs analysts, sports scientists, fitness coaches and any number of other backroom staff, would leave a player with an injury history of Aneke to just get on with his own warmup. I think his preparation for matches and training sessions will be prescribed by the medical staff and may well take place in the changing room with a physio stretching off certain muscle groups for him rather than him doing stretches himself on the side of the pitch. It would be negligent in the extreme to not monitor and input into how he prepares for games.

It’s easy for fans to form opinions on what they see without taking into account what goes on behind the scenes. What you will notice is that the subs that warm up / have a kick about at half time generally aren’t those that come on immediately after half time. I understand your want for more information about injuries and frustration when the club are hesitant to give that. In some cases I think you are right and that it comes down to poor communication, but I can think of at least two other reasons why they might be a bit more circumspect. Firstly they might not want to give the opposition an advantage in preparing for a game by publishing details of players fitness which might let them know on their likely availability. Secondly and I think this probably happens far less, but there is not an automatic right to know details about peoples medical complaints.

The situation with Aneke is frustrating for all of us and no doubt also him, the club, his teammates and the manager. Anyone who has ever had any lengthy period of injury will know that recovery is often not straight forward and injuries can sometimes occur in other parts of the body due to being overused in compensation or under used as a result of immobilisation of the area.

On the plus side the same type of contract which means we can’t just terminate Aneke’s employment at the club is also what stops for instance Miles Leaburn handing in his notice and playing for Aston Villa next month. Another comforting thought is that if the takeover ever happens it is likely that TS will be the one that absorbs the cost of Aneke’s contract, as surely when doing  due diligence and coming to a value of assets and liabilities of the playing squad Aneke’s contract with his injury record will surely sit as a liability and the total valuation should reflect that.

This is a fantastic post but you lost me here because if the cost cutting measures are to believed last year - are we actually employing these people? Like, do we have any evidence of this? If we have been cutting back on other staff which is well documented for years how can we as fans have any confidence that the sports scientists etc you speak of haven't also had their budget decimated? 

Second bit in bold - yes it would be negligent, but haven't we been run negligently for at last 6/7 years at this point? Arguably longer.

I don't need to know every in and out of his medical history, or any players for that matter - but is it so hard or intrusive to give a few updates? The timeline of Chuks injury was - gets injured end of Feb - Holden says "probably out for the season" then nothing for 4 months until pre-season when they come back and Holden says "he has another injury" unrelated to the previous one mind you - no time scales, no road to recovery - like with all our injuries it's just - "oh yeah by the way he is still injured" 

What competitive advantage are we giving people in pre-season by not elaborating on Leaburn's injury? Are we hoping to not give Aberdeen the rub for their friendly in a few weeks? 

If Chuks was in a position in January/February where he couldn't train properly because he was still in recovery, he was strictly told medically not to over exert in warm ups as people saw at half times and yet we STILL put him out there to go and risk injury again how is that helpful to us or the player? Isn't that negligent? Did we put him on the pitch against medical advice? You can't have it both ways. 

I agree it is frustrating all around. 
  • Options
    I don't get it. If I am long term sick, after I've used up my personal leave allowance, annual leave etc. with my employer, if there isn't any leave entitlement left I don't get paid. I then leverage income protection insurance if the need arises. Why is it different for footballers?
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    I don't get it. If I am long term sick, after I've used up my personal leave allowance, annual leave etc. with my employer, if there isn't any leave entitlement left I don't get paid. I then leverage income protection insurance if the need arises. Why is it different for footballers?
    no, you don't get it, do you

• Options
    edited July 2023

Sorry Chuks, didn't realise you were on here.  ;)
  • Options
    And Leaburn now officially out for a number of weeks. And so it begins……….
  • Options
    And Leaburn now officially out for a number of weeks. And so it begins……….
    Compounds the frustration that Aneke can’t play 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2023

Sorry Chuks, didn't realise you were on here.  ;)
    how many times... your job ain't the same as a professional footballers...

does this really need to be explained to you? ffs? should it be spelled out in syllables so you understand that? lol 
  • Options
    Should just pay up his contract - can't see the injury problem ever being sorted. We can't rely on him.
  • Options
    Should just pay up his contract - can't see the injury problem ever being sorted. We can't rely on him.
    I agree with this. Easy to say mind you as it’s not our money, but Chuks is taking up an awful lot of medical and rehab team resource and his presence in the squad is taking up a place. It’s not his fault that some idiot gave him such a long contract so he’d be perfectly entitled to have his contract paid up. As I say, not my money, but I’d like the distraction to be over and Chuks to have the misery ended for him. A payoff to enable him to take stock and decide what to do next and some ongoing support by way of mentoring/counselling if that’s required. The ongoing. pantomime is doing neither Chuks nor Charlton any good. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I still wish he was fit enough to play over a sustained period because he is good at football.
    I wish my dong was ten inches longer cos I used to be good at sex. But I take your point. 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Even if he was fit all of the time, 400k a year is stealing a living for who he is and what he does 

8k a week to play league one football.  His wages are an example of why football, us and so many other clubs are screwed 

Even if the actual figure is slightly lower, 6 or 5k a week say, it’s ridiculous 

He's not stealing a living, I think that term is a bit unfair.  Have a look at who sanctioned the signing and point fingers in their direction, it had to be one of the worst signings in our history.
    And thats the 64000 dollar question that we still don't know the answer to.

Who exactly sanctioned the signing?

It was the length of the contract that was crazy as the first time around he was successful with the goal every 100 minutes and in his last full season was in the 18 man squad for 36 out of 46 matches.

One year contract with a year's option with the caveat of being fit for a decent number of matches in the first year should've been the best contract on offer.

Many potential problems are picked up at medicals and the fact that Chuks passed the medical tells you that no one issue meant he failed. It's well known that Aneke struggles with his mind and he doesn't have confidence in his muscle toned body.
    Other than his first match back when he played 98 minutes he has struggled with a myriad of injuries and now it's just sad for him and the staff at Sparrows lane.

A complex case as no insurance can be claimed unless they go with the original issue from 4 years ago. 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    I do get to hear about certain academy players and their medicals with Pro clubs.
    One 17 year old lad had to wait an extra 3 months to be signed by a Premier club after he had taken an antibiotic and it showed up in the blood test. The club said to the lad and especially the agent you know that any medication taken should be informed to the club.
    He nearly signed for a Championship club but eventually the Premier club were happy with his next medical and 12 weeks later he has now signed.
    A Scout from a League 2 club watched him early last season and initially praised his reading of the game and then changed his mind and said he's too casual after a goal was conceded ! The lad is a ball playing defender. 

Man City must have more stringent medicals than most as one 18 year old failed a medical again because of a blood test and City wanted the player and agent to arrange a program that might help and come back in a few months.
    When a lesser Premier team two weeks later showed interest he passed their medical and signed. 

Back to Chuks Aneke and Charlton knew of past issues so they took a big gamble and it has failed.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I still wish he was fit enough to play over a sustained period because he is good at football.
    I wish my dong was ten inches longer cos I used to be good at sex. But I take your point. 
    Out of all examples to use....
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!