Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mile long queues outside the ground before Kick Off

13»

Comments

• Saw huge queues in Harvey Gardens so walked around to the Sam Bartram entrance. 

No queues at all there, just walked straight in.

My guess is that no season tickets meant a lot more messing about scanning phones and printed tickets rather than the usual tapping in.

But direct all complaints to tony.keohane@cafc.co.uk
    Started queuing at twenty to, got in at quarter past, not sure what the problem was but there certainly was a problem. Nice to see Mr Keohane wander past about ten minutes after kickoff, so he clearly was aware firsthand of the problem. Once in our seats lost count of how many stewards, prevented people, families from sitting in the empty seats in the NW quadrant, but special mention to the two stewards who blocked the view of the goal for most of the second half. 
    Think if there was a plan it needs reviewing 

• the ques mainly because people have problems scanning e tickets on their mobile phones, people taking 4 or 5 attempts before getting through the turnstile slows things up, Even I took two attempts.
  • Joesdad said:
    Saw huge queues in Harvey Gardens so walked around to the Sam Bartram entrance. 

My guess is that no season tickets meant a lot more messing about scanning phones and printed tickets rather than the usual tapping in.

Started queuing at twenty to, got in at quarter past, not sure what the problem was but there certainly was a problem. Nice to see Mr Keohane wander past about ten minutes after kickoff, so he clearly was aware firsthand of the problem. Once in our seats lost count of how many stewards, prevented people, families from sitting in the empty seats in the NW quadrant, but special mention to the two stewards who blocked the view of the goal for most of the second half. 

Stop moaning you sound like me 🤣🤣
  • Joesdad said:

Aware of the problem and giving a flying **** are different issues. 
    There are people drawing a salary for minimum efficiency and we’re not talking about their efforts on the green bit. 
  • As it was a cup game, everyone had to use the bar code on the ticket, where as a normal game season ticket holders could just tap in.
    Can’t see that making too much difference to be fair .
    It definitely did. I had a mobile ticket for the first time (normally I print at home) and I could not get the fucking thing to work. 

Tapping my season ticket reliably takes less than 1 second rather than 3 minutes.
  • edited January 2022
    Lucky we didn't draw a genuinely big club and attract a 25k crowd
  • Lucky we didn't draw a genuinely big club and attract a 25k crowd

There’s still the potential of a papa johns pizza semi-final to test the gate functionality further and it will be an evening game as well so most fans will be turning a little later and all trying to scan their mobile phones or pieces of paper printed at home
  • Automatic turnstiles capable of reading phones and printed codes?

VerschlimmbesserungVery useful German word to know!
  • As it was a cup game, everyone had to use the bar code on the ticket, where as a normal game season ticket holders could just tap in.
    Can’t see that making too much difference to be fair .
    It definitely did. I had a mobile ticket for the first time (normally I print at home) and I could not get the fucking thing to work. 

Tapping my season ticket reliably takes less than 1 second rather than 3 minutes.
    we also had issues with mobile ticket - season ticket is a breeze
  • T_C_E said:
    Joesdad said:

There are people drawing a salary for minimum efficiency and we’re not talking about their efforts on the green bit. 
    This is what annoyed me. The police wanted us all to move over so they could get their vans up the road and were antagonistic, the stewards did naff all other than one who said we should have got there earlier and somebody from the club - middle aged, grey short hair, thick set in a long blue club jacket walked up and down a few times and ignored everybody - when he did engage with a group behind me,  he said you should have stayed at home - i wonder if that was our mate TK? I've  got photos but having trouble with my phone atm. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Google the Pilbury Doughboy. ;)

• What a waste of time the Covid pass check is. I showed mine but the bloke barely looked at it . It could have been a barcode for tinned peas as far as he cared . 
    We all had to show the Covid pass to gain entry to crossbars before the game - but popped in for a quick pint after and just walked straight in. As with turnstile before kick off just a 'tick the box' exercise. However the Covid checks did not hold up entry at the turnstiles. Answer for big games could be to forgo the last pint and get there 15 minutes earlier?
  • The scanners in the covered end were useless and seemed to take people multiple attempts to get their barcodes on phones scanned. Took 10 times as long as it should have done 
    The East Stand entrance had barcode readers at right angles to the person presenting the ticket. There was a person in the turnstile to help. The scanner wpointless as it was easier for him to present the ticket to the scanner. 
    Modern technology in an old bin of a turnstile. The North Stand where I go normally is far easier.
    Few corrections here to your stands mate. 
    The East is the Alan Curbishley stand and the north the Covered End. Otherwise all good .. 
  • T_C_E said:
    Google the Pilbury Doughboy. ;)

Exactly, or think short fat albino panda. 
  • DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    I turned up at about 1.56 and missed about three minutes. It was a bit of a shambles due to conflicting queues for different areas but I don’t think it was terrible.

Who are all these people who should be taking charge? The club struggled to get stewards because of other games taking place at the same time and underestimated the crowd. It doesn’t have the staff and those it does have (Mick Everett apart) don’t take responsibility for managing the crowd. They wouldn’t contribute much if they did.
    well there was a bloke walking about with a club jackett on who was making wise cracks like 'you should have stayed at home' as we stood there knowing we were going to be missing a big chunk of the game - you must have gone in via a different entrance coz i could see the east stand queue was still long at that time - maybe somebody could have e directed them to whateve entrance you got in via. That would have been a start although it wouldn't have helped the north upper queues - it was a piss poor effort from the club   
    I went through the Harvey Gardens turnstiles to the AC stand and it took under five minutes.

When I turned up the queues were very confusing. It seemed initially the AC queue was doglegged back up HG towards Charlton Lane, but that turned out not to be the case. I then got on the right hand side of the queue facing the turnstiles, which invariably moves quicker it gives access to more turnstiles, whereas the left hand side has more limited access. You can’t queue for the right-hand turnstiles.

There were lots of people outside at that point but it seemed to clear quite quickly, as there weren’t many coming in much later than 2.05.
    well, you were lucky you weren't tying to get into the north upper 
    Think that’s just maths - number of stiles versus people needing access. With hindsight the club should probably have opened the whole ground, which may have eased some of the congestion, but you still have to find the staff.
    no, there was something very wrong - the queue was hardly moving - nothing to do with maths 
    Not usually one to complain but the queue(s) for the north upper were a joke. It would have been more efficient to have human turnstile operators, which should never happen in a digital age.  

Not sure what the club can do but I don’t remember it ever being as bad as this season. 
  • DOUCHER said:
    T_C_E said:
    Joesdad said:

This is what annoyed me. The police wanted us all to move over so they could get their vans up the road and were antagonistic, the stewards did naff all other than one who said we should have got there earlier and somebody from the club - middle aged, grey short hair, thick set in a long blue club jacket walked up and down a few times and ignored everybody - when he did engage with a group behind me,  he said you should have stayed at home - i wonder if that was our mate TK? I've  got photos but having trouble with my phone atm. 
    I’ve had a similar experience with the stewards. My girlfriend couldn’t get into the Accrington game because the turnstile scanned her ticket but wouldn’t unlock - this had happened to a few other fans who were now missing the first half.

There were zero contingencies in place, they just told her they didn’t know what to do. I asked if their manager knew what to do, they said they can’t get hold of him because he’s busy. Just a bit of a shambles really. 
  • I can’t believe somebody working for the club, would be advising the very people who pay their wages to stay at home, can’t be true?
  • What a waste of time the Covid pass check is. I showed mine but the bloke barely looked at it . It could have been a barcode for tinned peas as far as he cared . 
    I'm not saying who but someone who'd had COVID and their own pass hadn't kicked in again yet had their wife's pass downloaded as a pdf then the name edited to their own.
    I'm not saying who but someone who'd had COVID and their own pass hadn't kicked in again yet had their wife's pass downloaded as a pdf then the name edited to their own.
    This is a function of the requirement being unrealistic, though. It’s not practical to scrutinise 13,000 Covid credentials to the extent necessary to identify fraud. 

This to me makes enormous sense
    My season ticket doesn't allow tapping in. Bar code reading is just as fast.
  • Sponsored links:

• Crusty54 said:
    As it was a cup game, everyone had to use the bar code on the ticket, where as a normal game season ticket holders could just tap in.
    This to me makes enormous sense
    My season ticket doesn't allow tapping in. Bar code reading is just as fast.
    Nor does mine & the CAFC video shows the correct way is to hold the bar code under the scanner (I'm not telling anyone what to do).
  • After a few more performances like tonight, the queues will at least become a bit quicker
  • After a few more performances like tonight, the queues will at least become a bit quicker
    My sentiments exactly, queues at the turnstiles problem solved……. Won’t be happening again this season.
  • Queues to get in?

I think we will be solving this problem by virtue of being shit.

Your honour, I submit evidence
    CAFC 2  v CAFC 1
  • Looking at the title of this thread I am wondering where the queue stretched back to, if it started at the Covered End would it reach as far as The Rose of Denmark ?
  • Floyd road at 1.42