Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mile long queues outside the ground before Kick Off

Comments

• What didn’t help yesterday was the queue for the Curbs stand was so long, that you had to walk past it and then funnel your way back up to join the queue for the north upper. 
  • I dunno how it takes some people so long to work it out - it's like they've never got on a train or tube in their life!
  • What didn’t help yesterday was the queue for the Curbs stand was so long, that you had to walk past it and then funnel your way back up to join the queue for the north upper. 
    Would have been even worse if the Family stand was open as well. 
  • Was only about 2 minutes late for Kick Off as had kids football matches beforehand.

Went in through the Bartram Gate for the ACS. I was only person there.
    It did take them a couple of minutes it seemed though to scan the three tickets on my phone using their handheld scanner.
    They didn’t ask for my Covid Pass.
  • DOUCHER said:
    scanned my ticket in 1 second 
    Me too
  • Mile long queues.... past the west stand, along Harvey gardens, up Charlton lane, through the village and towards blackheath.  

I would have gone home
  • Keohane probably quite relieved we’re out the FA Cup.  
  • I think I might be right in saying there is something of a quirk in that online tickets when printed don't scan (or is it vice versa) and whilst its in the 'small print' of the email advise you get when purchasing probably not what you instinctively think will happen with a QR code.

Perhaps too many people come undone with that.
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    this wasn't about how slow the ticket scanning was, this was about the fact there was no leadership from the club in being able to either delay the kick off or authorise the opening of the gates so that 2000 + fans could get in and see the match  
    Can't open the gates as that would result in chaos and they have a duty of care to ensure there's not too many people in one stand (maybe watch the recent ITV drama Anne if you don't understand what can happen in this situation)

And can't delay the game just because loads of people turn up 5 mins before kickoff trying to get in when the club specifically say "turn up early to ensure smooth passage into the ground"

I get not everyone can turn up at 1.15 on a Sunday for a 2pm kickoff, but at the end of the day no-one is going to delay a game for that, unless it's something like a major car crash on the A2 has buggered most of the fans getting in, or there being a huge issue with the trains, and even then they would probably only consider delaying the game if it affected the officials, players or emergency staff
    It wasn't 5 minutes before the game - i got in the queue at 20 mins to ko and the 100 yard queue moved about 10 yards in 20 minutes - there were about 20 people behind me and about 300 in front of me - the other queues were just as slow - it wasn't right and some leadership and common sense was required - the gates could and should have been opened - people would not have been in those queues without tickets and there was nobody else around other than people in those queues. There were probably 50 stewards and police standing around doing f all. 
    Would have been even worse if the Family stand was open as well. 
    That area is poorly designed as you have one scrum leading to 3 completely separate entrances, a slight slope and parked cars in front of the badge

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4873358,0.0375841,3a,39.2y,176.67h,85.88t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sVjTL3qailauq85BnYOXpBw!2e0!6shttps://streetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com/v1/thumbnail?panoid=VjTL3qailauq85BnYOXpBw&cb_client=search.revgeo_and_fetch.gps&w=96&h=64&yaw=326.071&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en-GB
  • Was in the queue at 1.35 and got to my seat just as we were kicking off.

Had a group of 4 in front of me who were taking in their first Charlton match, and faffed with tickets getting in. I'd imagine the volume of day trippers who came yesterday added to the congestion, if they're all unfamiliar with how the tickets work. Add that to the fact no one was able to 'tap and go' with their ST, it probably all adds up.
  • I joined the queue for the east stand about 2.30 and moved about 10ft in 10 mins. Became apparent very quickly that I wasn't making kick off so I walked up to the east stand gate, told the steward my ticket wouldn't scan and the numpty just let me in without looking at the ticket or asking for a Covid Pass. As I was walking towards the gate I saw a number of other people enter via the same gate.
  • edited January 2022
    I turned up at about 1.56 and missed about three minutes. It was a bit of a shambles due to conflicting queues for different areas but I don’t think it was terrible.

Who are all these people who should be taking charge? The club struggled to get stewards because of other games taking place at the same time and underestimated the crowd. It doesn’t have the staff and those it does have (Mick Everett apart) don’t take responsibility for managing the crowd. They wouldn’t contribute much if they did.
  • I turned up at about 1.56 and missed about three minutes. It was a bit of a shambles due to conflicting queues for different areas but I don’t think it was terrible.

Who are all these people who should be taking charge? The club struggled to get stewards because of other games taking place at the same time and underestimated the crowd. It doesn’t have the staff and those it does have (Mick Everett apart) don’t take responsibility for managing the crowd. They wouldn’t contribute much if they did.
    well there was a bloke walking about with a club jackett on who was making wise cracks like 'you should have stayed at home' as we stood there knowing we were going to be missing a big chunk of the game - you must have gone in via a different entrance coz i could see the east stand queue was still long at that time - maybe somebody could have e directed them to whateve entrance you got in via. That would have been a start although it wouldn't have helped the north upper queues - it was a piss poor effort from the club   
  • edited January 2022
    DOUCHER said:
    I turned up at about 1.56 and missed about three minutes. It was a bit of a shambles due to conflicting queues for different areas but I don’t think it was terrible.

well there was a bloke walking about with a club jackett on who was making wise cracks like 'you should have stayed at home' as we stood there knowing we were going to be missing a big chunk of the game - you must have gone in via a different entrance coz i could see the east stand queue was still long at that time - maybe somebody could have e directed them to whateve entrance you got in via. That would have been a start although it wouldn't have helped the north upper queues - it was a piss poor effort from the club   
    I went through the Harvey Gardens turnstiles to the AC stand and it took about five minutes. I was still selling the Voice by the shop at 1.55 and I was in the stand with three and a bit minutes played because I always look at the clock as I enter the stand. Perhaps we didn’t kick off spot on 2pm?

When I turned up the queues were very confusing. It seemed initially the AC queue was doglegged back up HG towards Charlton Lane, but that turned out not to be the case. I then got on the right hand side of the queue facing the turnstiles, which invariably moves quicker because it gives access to more turnstiles, whereas the left hand side has more limited access. You can’t queue for the very right-hand turnstiles.

There were lots of people outside at that point but it seemed to clear quite quickly, as there weren’t many coming in much later than 2.05. I don’t think there is a realistic claim that it was ever unsafe, which is the point at which the police should get involved.
  • DOUCHER said:

I went through the Harvey Gardens turnstiles to the AC stand and it took under five minutes.

When I turned up the queues were very confusing. It seemed initially the AC queue was doglegged back up HG towards Charlton Lane, but that turned out not to be the case. I then got on the right hand side of the queue facing the turnstiles, which invariably moves quicker it gives access to more turnstiles, whereas the left hand side has more limited access. You can’t queue for the right-hand turnstiles.

There were lots of people outside at that point but it seemed to clear quite quickly, as there weren’t many coming in much later than 2.05.
    well, you were lucky you weren't tying to get into the north upper 
  • The turnstiles kept going slow on the West Stand, taking ages to reset, or it seemed from a semi technical person like the connection between the scanner and the computer with the database on to confirm the ticket was painfully slow and not working at any pace. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I sailed into lower Covered End at 1.30, in terms of Covid pass - my difficulty was that I scanned my ticket, the light went green, but the turnstile wouldn’t rotate - scanned again, and the light went red - cue a slightly robust conversation with a steward, who didn’t hav3 a clue, before they just opened the gate and let me in

I did note the huge queues for the West Stand though
  • edited January 2022
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

I went through the Harvey Gardens turnstiles to the AC stand and it took under five minutes.

When I turned up the queues were very confusing. It seemed initially the AC queue was doglegged back up HG towards Charlton Lane, but that turned out not to be the case. I then got on the right hand side of the queue facing the turnstiles, which invariably moves quicker it gives access to more turnstiles, whereas the left hand side has more limited access. You can’t queue for the right-hand turnstiles.

There were lots of people outside at that point but it seemed to clear quite quickly, as there weren’t many coming in much later than 2.05.
    Think the difference is just maths - number of stiles versus people needing access. With hindsight the club should probably have opened the whole ground, which may have eased some of the congestion, but you still have to find the staff.
  • DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

Think that’s just maths - number of stiles versus people needing access. With hindsight the club should probably have opened the whole ground, which may have eased some of the congestion, but you still have to find the staff.
    no, there was something very wrong - the queue was hardly moving - nothing to do with maths 
  • shirty5 said:
    What a waste of time the Covid pass check is. I showed mine but the bloke barely looked at it . It could have been a barcode for tinned peas as far as he cared . 
    It’s a tick box exercise 
    Seeing a few comments around relating to the checking of Covid Passes.

To clarify, spot checks are allowed and it doesn't mean the event organisers are just playing lip service; where the event satisfies certain criteria, has an assessment in place and has prior agreement from their local authority.

The club have a responsibility to ensure the agreement in place is met properly and I'd expect LB Greenwich to be making checks on the checking going on too.

There is an NHS app available to help with checking the QR codes but I assume, given the profile of match day staff, this wasn't in operation as it requires downloading to the staff members phone.
  • shirty5 said:
    What a waste of time the Covid pass check is. I showed mine but the bloke barely looked at it . It could have been a barcode for tinned peas as far as he cared . 
    It’s a tick box exercise 
    Seeing a few comments around relating to the checking of Covid Passes.

To clarify, spot checks are allowed and it doesn't mean the event organisers are just playing lip service; where the event satisfies certain criteria, has an assessment in place and has prior agreement from their local authority.

The club have a responsibility to ensure the agreement in place is met properly and I'd expect LB Greenwich to be making checks on the checking going on too.

There is an NHS app available to help with checking the QR codes but I assume, given the profile of match day staff, this wasn't in operation as it requires downloading to the staff members phone.
    By way of context I'd note that I have been to several west End theatre shows over the December & Christmas period and the check on COVID passes at all the different theatres has been cursory only.

I don't think CAFC are unique in what they are doing at all.
  • Unless staff are asked to scan everybody's QR codes or check the name and DOB on the covid pass matches to some form of identity on you I'm not sure what else staff can do.
  • I sailed into lower Covered End at 1.30, in terms of Covid pass - my difficulty was that I scanned my ticket, the light went green, but the turnstile wouldn’t rotate - scanned again, and the light went red - cue a slightly robust conversation with a steward, who didn’t hav3 a clue, before they just opened the gate and let me in

I did note the huge queues for the West Stand though
    Similar happened to me earlier in the season. The furthest turnstile in, in the lower Covered End on the left side is broken a bit I think. Person In front tapped, then it immediately said the present ticket sign, rather than wait like it normally does on others, so I tapped while the person in front hadn't finished going in. Turnstile locked and when I tapped again it said this ticket has already been used, so was let through the gate by a steward. Might be the same thing? 
  • I joined the queue for the east stand about 2.30 and moved about 10ft in 10 mins. Became apparent very quickly that I wasn't making kick off so I walked up to the east stand gate, told the steward my ticket wouldn't scan and the numpty just let me in without looking at the ticket or asking for a Covid Pass. As I was walking towards the gate I saw a number of other people enter via the same gate.
    If you joined the queue at 2.30 no wonder you missed the kickoff! 🙄

Fat fingers strike again. Clearly I meant 1.30.
  • Saw huge queues in Harvey Gardens so walked around to the Sam Bartram entrance. 

No queues at all there, just walked straight in.

My guess is that no season tickets meant a lot more messing about scanning phones and printed tickets rather than the usual tapping in.

But direct all complaints to tony.keohane@cafc.co.uk
    Did the same, walked around to the top and got straight in. Only hold-up was a confused Norwich fan who'd got through the turnstile. Rather than taking him through to the away end - and there were enough of them for one to have taken him there - the stewards were struggling to give him directions to Valley Grove...