Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Desmond Tutu RIP

A truly inspirational man who achieved so much. RIP

Comments

• He fought many battles on different issues, but by far the greatest was helping to bring down apartheid.
    RIP Sir.
  • He fought many battles on different issues, but by far the greatest was helping to bring down apartheid.
    RIP Sir.
     Very true. And a close second was once being Paul Mortimer's kit sponsor.

RIP
  • Went to hear him speak once in Aldgate - he was so inspiring to listen to and such a positive man. A  great loss.
  • Great man. Sad loss.
  • One of those people whose niceness, for want of a better word, shone through every time. There was a good man as well as a great man. Some can tick one off but fewer both. R.I.P.
    RIP Sir.

RIP
    Wait, what? 
  • Legend of a man. Gave his name to a degree & a scoreline. 

RIP.
  • RIP to a man of peace who grew up in a country at war with its own people 
  • Great man. Fought apartheid, and he was an inspiration.
  • Sponsored links:

• A great man of courage and principle with a real sense of fun and mischievousness. 
  • helped to bring about world wide changes .. a man of love & peace .. R I P
  • The Oval Tandoori in Kennington used to have a list of people that recommended the place. It always amused me that near the bottom of the list was Archbishop Desmond Tutu! One of his lesser achievements, I'd say.

RIP
  • edited December 2021
    seth plum said:
    He also said ‘There comes a point where we have to stop pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why people are falling in’.
    Seems a perfect statement in relation to the poor desperate folk making dangerous channel crossings on flimsy rubber dinghys.
    We know why they are coming. What we need to be able to do is more easily distinguish between the varying reasons (and desperations for that matter) for it - but for a different thread
  • seth plum said:
    He also said ‘There comes a point where we have to stop pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why people are falling in’.
    Seems a perfect statement in relation to the poor desperate folk making dangerous channel crossings on flimsy rubber dinghys.
    We know why they are coming. What we need to be able to do is more easily distinguish between the varying reasons for it - but for a different thread
    Yes a different thread. To my thinking it was water that created the link, a river and the sea.
  • seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    We know why they are coming. What we need to be able to do is more easily distinguish between the varying reasons for it - but for a different thread
    Yes a different thread. To my thinking it was water that created the link, a river and the sea.
    Yeah, not like you to politicise a discussion
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Seriously?
    Holyjo list quotes but they’re not ‘political’. Like number 4.
    I mention one quote, and liken it to a humanitarian crisis and it is ‘political’?

• The world needs good men more than ever, and he was the best of us - a good man in every sense of that simple but overused word.

RIP
  • We are certainly all the poorer for losing a man like him. 
    RIP Sir.

RIP
    What year was he Mort's kit sponsor?

And could some programme/yearbook collector post a photo of the entry?
    Thanks

• RIP
    it wasn’t until earlier this year that I found out his first parish was in lewisham and he used to live in grove park. 
    I wonder where he got his newspaper.
    But was he Palace or Millwall?

A good and wise man indeed.
    Africa needs more in his image. 
    Rest in Peace.
  • seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Seriously?
    Holyjo list quotes but they’re not ‘political’. Like number 4.
    I mention one quote, and liken it to a humanitarian crisis and it is ‘political’?

Yes
  • His son Trevor Tutu was in the year above me at Colfes
  • I'm in no way religious, just the opposite, but whatever his motivations he was definitely a force for good and worthy of the many plaudits he has received.

RIP. 
  • A force for good. RIP