Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Plymouth Argyle vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 18th December 2021 @ 3pm | Match Preview

Plymouth Argyle vs Charlton Athletic
Saturday 18th December 2021 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Craig Hicks

Introduction
Cmon lets be honest, who in their wildest dreams expected such a strong start to Johnnie Jackson's tenure as Manager, even if he is just the caretaker? - As per usual on CharltonLife there were strong arguments for his departure, as well for his appointment to be announced on a Full-Time basis, yet I think we've all been rendered speechless by the form we find ourselves in. This Saturday we hopefully travel to the South West; Plymouth Argyle lie in wait.

The Opposition
Name: Plymouth Argyle (6th) | Manager: Steven Schumacher
Ground: Home Park
Previous Meeting: Charlton Athletic 2-0 Plymouth Argyle

It was only a few weeks ago when the Pilgrims made the trip up the A303 looking to continue their fine start to the season. Plymouth had suffered just the one defeat all season, yet that run of form came crashing down in SE7, our opponents that day werent just unlucky, they were outperformed in display which has become oh so familiar under the current Addicks regime.

There have only been four Leagues games since that encounter, yet Plymouth to be blunt have gone and done a Sunderland - Their form which has been so strong this season has plummeted, with further defeats coming against Wycombe, Wigan and Sunderland, whilst their solitary point came a week ago with Plymouth drawing 1-1 at Milton Keynes.

Of course it hasnt helped by the fact that Ryan Lowe has departed for Preston North End - The highly rated Manager has done wonders in the lower echilons of the EFL with both Bury and Plymouth, so its certainly no surprise to see him taking the next step on his Managerial career - In his place is Steven Schumacher, having been promoted from Assistant it looks like our opponents are following the current model set out at the Valley.

Fears of another stuffing will be rife in Plymouth after our performance in April - Steven may quickly find out that life in the fast lane is a completely different ball game with so many other Assistants failing where others have succeeded... He certainly wont want to let the family down.

Charlton Team News
Finally a bit of good news and it is that Ryan Inniss will be returning to U23 action on Monday evening - The giant Centre-Back has struggled with injury since moving up from Surrey, and will be looking to make another comeback at what is a hectic time in a fixture list that could yet end in further disarray.

Elsewhere and Jonathan Leko deputised for Dialling Jaiyesimi last weekend. The latter simply rested for the clash with Cambridge United, and made a late appearance from the bench so Johnnie could well decide on switching the two around again - Otherwise you would expect the squad to remain as is, unless of course there are any secret injuries, no reason to change a winning team right?

MacGillivray
Clare - Pearce - Famewo
Dobson
Jaiyesimi - Gilbey - Lee - Purrington
Washington - Stockley

Substitutes Bench: Henderson - Souare - Elerewe - Watson - Kirk - Davison - Leko

Prediction
The Addicks will certainly look to go into the last games of 2021 on a high note - Performances have gone through the roof of late and see no reason why that wont continue this coming weekend - Plymouth at present occupy the last remaining Play-Off spot, should we want to extend our season in May, then already these are the games we need to be winning, else the points difference will never disappear.

Merry Christmas everyone!!

Comments

• Options
    Nice one @ForeverAddickted

(game will probably be cancelled now by the morning!)
  • Options
    Nice one @ForeverAddickted

(game will probably be cancelled now by the morning!)
    Better not be...only game within less than 4hours journey!
  • Options
    Thanks FA, enjoy your writing
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    One of my all time favorites Garry Nelson in the hot seat with Curbs and Scott for this one, should be good, looking forward to some good memories and banter there, should be a good game and see us doing the double.. B)
  • Options
    Looking forward to this one. Proper season defining 6 pointer. 
  • Options
    Great preview mate, really looking forward going down for this one and I think the team are too.

Keep up the good work and have a great Christmas yourself.

We come back with all 3 points and sit just 5 points off Plymouth but still 8 off top 6 with Wednesday beating Stanley. We move up to 10th.

It’s the games over Christmas and New Year that will change the look of the table, if games go ahead.

Plymouth Argyle 0-2 Charlton Athletic
    Stockley
    Lee
  • Options
    3rd and final one where Jackos inspirational dressing room chat after the plymouth home victory mentioned we’ll beat Morecambe and Shrewsbury and then we’ll go to plymouth and do them …or something like that in the Twitter video  … was scared that would bite us in the arse and it duly did … no victory at plymouth and the Comms team learn a harsh lesson that some stuff is best left in the changing room .
  • Options
    Great preview - loving the optimism flooding through your report.
  • Options
    Don't worry, the Christmas period previews are being prepared by Golfie so you have a 'compare and contrast' ...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have you not read the majority of my Football posts ;) 
  • Options
    How is Stockley not banned for his 5th yellow last week?
  • Options
    C_Dubz said:
    How is Stockley not banned for his 5th yellow last week?
    Past the deadline I believe … now 10
  • Options
    I remember we beat Plymouth 0-6 roughly 7/8 years ago.

Jackson scored a brace?
  • Options
    1-1 draw here 

unless Jacko gets the full time gig today then the bounce carries us through 1-2
  • Options
    Happy Christmas FA  as always great preview, 2-1 Charlton
  • Options
    I'm normally very positive on these threads but I'm having a Golfie moment with this one. Plymouth will be really up for this I think after we beat them the other week and started their recent decline in form, no doubt they will be looking to turn their recent run of results around and where better to do that than against the team that started it. Hoping our run continues but I can see this being a draw at best
  • Options
    I shouldn't underestimate Argyle.

They were flying until we wrecked their unbeaten run. Following that they've had really tough fixtures playing only top 6 teams: Wycombe, Wigan, MK Dons, Sunderland.

Their manager has left to pursue higher ambitions and the assistant manager has been given the hot seat.

The Green Army will get behind their team.

They were top for a long period for good reason.
    We will need to be at our best to get a result.

• Options
    The first goal in this encounter will be vital. If we get it, Plymouth might capitulate. If they score first it will instill belief and give them the iniative to go hard for the win.  Revenge for their surprise/shock defeat at The Valley ending their unbeaten run, must be paramount in their minds.
    Hoping they will struggle for that "new manager" bounce and we continue with ours and come away with another priceless three points. 2-0 again. 
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    I remember we beat Plymouth 0-6 roughly 7/8 years ago.

And last year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes, good preview FA (paticularly unde the circumstances and hope the safe house in eastbourne provides some respite). I don't think this one is going to be easy and reckon plymouth may have regrouped a bit this week. A draw most likely. 
  • Options
    I think Purrington may be struggling and that Soare will play instead. That severely weakens us so I'll be happy to get a point.

Happy Xmas all!
  • Options
    New manager bounce. 2-0 Charlton 
  • Options
    Soare seems to good at delivery but is a liability. 
  • Options
    Referee at Home Park is due to be one Craig Hicks, who reffed at The Valley for the Wigan game.  We impartial arbiters rated his performance 5 and a bit out of 10.  As Stockers alludes to in his recent SLP interview, the Addicks will need to be smart and not give these substandard nuisances opportunities to louse up these fixtures with their egos and sketchy grasp of the game.
    Argyle will be a tough prospect and the first goal will be crucial.  Even our injury depleted squad has enough to beat anybody in this division but Plymouth were top for a reason and they've been luckier thus far with injuries.
    While I'm at it, let's all be respectful and sensible of the ghastly presence of Covid, give each other plenty of space and accept that we'll need loads of time to get in, around and out of the ground.  By their actions will the bellends among us reveal themselves.  Don't be a bellend.
  • Options
    League One Table - Football - BBC Sport

Plymouth in relegation form, we're in near promotion form

Plymouth Argyle 0 v CAFC 1
  • Options
    League One Table - Football - BBC Sport

Plymouth in relegation form, we're in near promotion form

Plymouth Argyle 0 v CAFC 1
    It might seem like relegation form, but what about the context of all 4 games without a win being against the top 6 sides?

It's not like they drew at Morecambe and lost to Shrewsbury.

• Options
    If we beat Plymouth.... we'll possibly be just 5 points from the playoffs 😁