Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent Cricket 2022

Comments

• Interesting team selection - Denly is the batsman omitted but Robinson is down to open and Billings to keep and bat at 6. Trying to work out, though, why, when we've won the toss, we've elected to field. Time will tell.
  • Down for the morning session on a beautiful day- let's have some wickets!
  • Pitch looks flat. Interesting decision to bowl
  • 37/2 now though
  • The great news is that Milnes has struck twice - traps Scott LBW and has Bracey caught behind. The not so good news is that the overseas, Duffy, hasn't had the greatest of starts with 4-0-26-0.

37-2
  • Milnes with another, 46-3
  • Two decisions vindicated - one to bowl today and the other to drop Milnes for the last CC match and allow him a break. Prior to today his bowling figures were 4-482. Today he has 3-17.
  • Don’t know why Robinson isn’t keeping .  I assume Billings thinks that’s his way into the England side but I’m concerned that we are messing around with Ollie 
  • edited June 2022
    wmcf123 said:
    Don’t know why Robinson isn’t keeping .  I assume Billings thinks that’s his way into the England side but I’m concerned that we are messing around with Ollie 
    Billings is captain and boss. Has always been thus. And Billings will still hope that, should Foakes get injured, he is next in line. Given the choice though, I'm sure that Robinson would rather open right now and not keep than bat at 6 and keep simply because his opportunities to show what he can do in a prominent batting position have been so limited. I heard a rumour yesterday that one particular county is very keen on taking him at the end of the season - this might be pure speculation but giving him a run in the top three might be the difference between him staying and going.
  • 114-3 off 27 overs at lunch
  • Sponsored links:

• How many games are there in the T20 - are we playing all teams twice ? 
  • Two decisions vindicated - one to bowl today and the other to drop Milnes for the last CC match and allow him a break. Prior to today his bowling figures were 4-482. Today he has 3-17.
    One of those decisions might have been wrong after all

149-3
  • MrOneLung said:
    How many games are there in the T20 - are we playing all teams twice ? 
    Nope - same as previous years, we play 14 in total so miss out on playing against two counties twice. The ECB couldn't find the room in the calendar to fit the other two fixtures in but managed to find over a month for their own comp!

We have 6 to go and Klaassen will be away with the Netherlands for the first two of them.
  • wmcf123 said:
    Don’t know why Robinson isn’t keeping .  I assume Billings thinks that’s his way into the England side but I’m concerned that we are messing around with Ollie 
    Billings is captain and boss. Has always been thus. And Billings will still hope that, should Foakes get injured, he is next in line. Given the choice though, I'm sure that Robinson would rather open right now and not keep than bat at 6 and keep simply because his opportunities to show what he can do in a prominent batting position have been so limited. I heard a rumour yesterday that one particular county is very keen on taking him at the end of the season - this might be pure speculation but giving him a run in the top three might be the difference between him staying and going.
    Interesting, given that rumour, that Kent have chosen today to give Robinson his County Cap. Well done Ollie!
  • Is Ollie Robinson out of contract at the end of this season ? Not entirely sure how it works in cricket regarding players in contract or not ! Really hope he doesn’t leave, one of my favourite players and a delight to watch bat 
  • Is Ollie Robinson out of contract at the end of this season ? Not entirely sure how it works in cricket regarding players in contract or not ! Really hope he doesn’t leave, one of my favourite players and a delight to watch bat 
    Robinson has one year left of his three year contract after this season I believe. But these contracts tend to have "exit clauses" for the benefit of the player if certain criteria hasn't been met in the preceding year. Kent certainly won't want to lose him and have rewarded by giving him the CC captaincy and now his Cap. But, he will have international aspirations and must see with a bit of envy someone like Bracey who he is playing against today and who has been keeping for Gloucs and batting at 3 for the last two or three seasons - and been given the opportunity to play for England already. 

• At last. A wicket. To Stewart.

184-4
  • Robinson is only 23, so has plenty of time to establish himself in county cricket. Ryan Davies thought the grass was greener elsewhere, and that ended up badly for him
  • Robinson is only 23, so has plenty of time to establish himself in county cricket. Ryan Davies thought the grass was greener elsewhere, and that ended up badly for him
    Davies was only 18 and five years younger when he left Kent and he did so on the back of promises made by Somerset - unfortunately, his off the field issues were, undoubtedly, contributory to his lack of success and his retirement from. Robinson doesn't have the same issues.

If Billings isn't in the England set up and doesn't go to the IPL, how does Robinson get the gloves AND bat in the top 5 at Kent? I have no doubt that he would only move if both were promised to him but I'm sure there will be a few willing to do that. Last season Nasser was talking about Robinson being in the England side when Bracey got the gig but he won't be talking about him doing so if he doesn't even keep at county level.
  • Duffy gets his first wicket for us.

258-5
  • Sponsored links:

• Phillips finally gone for 125, hurrah!
  • Phillips finally gone for 125, hurrah!
    Yet another Kiwi
  • What time do these games tend to finish? Thinking of going down after work tomorrow.
  • edited June 2022
    Gloucs have 2 brothers batting at the moment. Cricket does seem to have more batting brothers than football
  • /moutuakilla said:
    What time do these games tend to finish? Thinking of going down after work tomorrow.
    The day usually ends between 6.00-6.30pm
  • 383-7 at close. Gloucestershire's day!
  • 391-8

4th wicket for Milnes
  • 435-9

Duffy with a 3rd wicket