Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent Cricket 2022

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Still an absolute joke - four CC games in April and three in September. That's half the fixtures in those two months with the first game starting on 7th April. And we wonder why we don't have people watching cricket in the freezing cold, why we don't produce Test batsmen or spinners.  

The Royal London will compete with The Hundred once again - we will almost certainly lose Billings, DBD, Cox, Blake, Denly, Milnes, Klaassen, Qais Ahmad plus possibly Linde, Blake and Leaning. That is, potentially, a whole team. We are in a stronger position, squad wise, than last year but it will only take a couple of injuries and we will be scouring the local leagues for players. It does make the competition second rate - I wonder how Royal London feel about that. Equally, with the World Cup next year, how to prospective middle order batsmen stake a claim? Based on the half a dozen balls they hit in T20 at the end of an innings I assume.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    60 Kent players who have played Test cricket for England - I've seen 25 of them do so (TV if not live)
    26 for me. I'm guessing Alan Brown is the difference between us.
    I'd completely forgotten him, but I must have seen him. 26 for me.
  • Options
    Disappointing that there are no games at Tunbridge Wells

One sensible change is that the T20 Blast final is in July, instead of being way after the group games had been played, in September
  • Options
    7th april. Christ
  • Options
    7th april. Christ
    The really good news is that there will be "warm up" games before that - last year's first one started on 25th March!!!
  • Options
    Still an absolute joke - four CC games in April and three in September. That's half the fixtures in those two months with the first game starting on 7th April. And we wonder why we don't have people watching cricket in the freezing cold, why we don't produce Test batsmen or spinners.  

The Royal London will compete with The Hundred once again - we will almost certainly lose Billings, DBD, Cox, Blake, Denly, Milnes, Klaassen, Qais Ahmad plus possibly Linde, Blake and Leaning. That is, potentially, a whole team. We are in a stronger position, squad wise, than last year but it will only take a couple of injuries and we will be scouring the local leagues for players. It does make the competition second rate - I wonder how Royal London feel about that. Equally, with the World Cup next year, how to prospective middle order batsmen stake a claim? Based on the half a dozen balls they hit in T20 at the end of an innings I assume.
    Agreed, it's bizarre that England go all out to win the 50 over World Cup, then immediately downgrade the only domestic 50 over competition into a Papa Johns/JPT type competition.

• Options
    Not only batsmen. Adam Riley was ruined by England for instance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2022
    I see Kent are playing a 4 day match versus Sri Lanka’s Development XI starting on the 6th May.

Will we take pity on them and leave Stevo out  :D

https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/news/kent-to-face-sri-lanka-development-xi-at-the-spitfire-ground/
  • Options
    Nice one Sam. Probably a present to himself to cheer himself up after missing out on the Windies.
  • Options
    Henry scored 58 not out coming in at 11 and shared a 10th wicket partnership of 94 with Blundell. That was Henry's 2nd Test 50 and his 7th First Class half century. He averages 22.61 in Tests - more than some of the players who have been batting at 1-5 for England recently.

NZ made 482 in reply to SA's 95. Henry then took another wicket in SA's 2nd innings and SA were 4-3 at one point but recovered to 34-3 at close. 

With 8-36 in the match to date and 58 not out with the bat, you won't be able to get a bet on who will be MOM!
    Edited for you
  • Options
    Thinking of getting a season ticket/membership this year as my old man doesn't go to Charlton anymore and this is just down the road. Anyone else got one and think it's worth it?
  • Options
    Henry finished for the SA 2nd innings with figures of 11-4-32-2 to make 26-11-55-9 in the match.

SA mustered just 111 to go with their 95 in the 1st innings meaning that they lost by an innings and 276 runs. It really doesn't get much worse than that! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bird played for Tasmania against NSW in the Sheffield Shield this week. His match figures were 35.5-16-81-5. Repeating that form every game for us will do just fine.
  • Options
    So, in the absence of Billings,  depending on the form of those that aren't fixtures, I would think that our side for the opening CC match will look something like this:

Crawley
    Cox/Compton
    Denly
    Leaning
    Bell-Drummond
    Robinson
    Linde
    Stevens
    Podmore/Gilchrist/Quinn/Stewart
    Milnes
    Bird
  • Options

💥 
  • Options
    A bit of a transformation in squads from this time last year too - we had just 19 registered players with no Billings and there were serious injury doubts about the three that ended up being released. We have 25 contracted players to date:

Bats
    Joe Denly
    Zac Crawley
    Daniel Bell-Drummond
    Jack Leaning
    Heino Kuhn
    Alex Blake (white ball only)
    Tawanda Muyeye
    Ben Compton

Bats/Keepers
    Sam Billings
    Ollie Robinson
    Jordan Cox

Seamers
    Darren Stevens
    Matt Milnes
    Harry Podmore
    Grant Stewart
    Tim Groenewald
    Nathan Gilchrist
    Fred Klaassen
    Matt Quinn
    Jaskaran Singh
    Matt Henry (second half of CC season)
    Jackson Bird (first six CC matches)

Spinners
    Imran Qayyum
    Hamidullah Qadri
    Marcus O'Riordan 
    Qais Ahmad 
    (T20 only)
    James Logan
    George Linde

Despite that 25, I suspect that, given that a dozen or so of them will be involved at some point in the Mickey Mouse effort, we will still need to sign players on short term contracts for the Royal London

• Options
    Bird's a decent signing. I thought he looked when I saw him a few years ago.
  • Options
    Choosing my seats for the blast matches

Recommended stands to sit in?

Got a couple of matches already in the Wooley upper tier.
  • Options
    I assume Joe Denly is ok and raring to go? Weren't there rumours last year about him having issues, and maybe retiring?
  • Options
    I assume Joe Denly is ok and raring to go? Weren't there rumours last year about him having issues, and maybe retiring?
    He's posting a lot on Instagram and there are no indications that he isn't up for it. That said, there is more competition for places and he will want to demonstrate better form than last year.
  • Options

We are now invited to purchase our seats for the home Blast games as a priority category following tickets purchased last season.

However, I find it difficult to look so far ahead & due to the fact we've never had a problem purchasing on a match by match basis, I'm assuming there shouldn't be any issues doing the same this time. It's not as though we sit in one of the priority areas or stands. 

Thoughts, please .  
  • Options

We are now invited to purchase our seats for the home Blast games as a priority category following tickets purchased last season.

However, I find it difficult to look so far ahead & due to the fact we've never had a problem purchasing on a match by match basis, I'm assuming there shouldn't be any issues doing the same this time. It's not as though we sit in one of the priority areas or stands. 

Thoughts, please .  
    Ditto

I struggle to get to Canterbury anyway, let alone deciding 4 months early! The stands at Canterbury are rubbish anyway, I prefer to sit outside near the Les Ames bar