Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent Cricket 2022

Comments

• Clearly nothing untoward with Stevens as he has now bowled 7 overs
  • 19-2 Milnes yorks Villas and now has figures of 5-2-14-2. Competition for those potential two fast bowling spots between Milnes, Podmore, Quinn and Gilchrist is going to be immense.

Stevens just bowled three overs and went for just a single. Hope that this short spell was pre-planned and that Stevens wasn't feeling anything.
    I would have thought Milnes would be an automatic choice (bar injury or loss of form). 
  • 19-2 Milnes yorks Villas and now has figures of 5-2-14-2. Competition for those potential two fast bowling spots between Milnes, Podmore, Quinn and Gilchrist is going to be immense.

Stevens just bowled three overs and went for just a single. Hope that this short spell was pre-planned and that Stevens wasn't feeling anything.
    I would have thought Milnes would be an automatic choice (bar injury or loss of form). 
    I wouldn't disagree which is why I had him in my team. But, if things are wafer thin and two of the others are bowling out of their skin, then he might not be picked. The beauty of the situation is that with Stevens and Bird as automatics plus Linde (assuming he arrives in time) then we do have those four for two places and that's without Stewart.
  • Stevens is back! Salt is out playing a one day shot for 58 off 58 which causes some merriment for both batsman and bowler. Stevens now has figures of 11-4-29-1

138-4 off 35

I wouldn't disagree which is why I had him in my team. But, if things are wafer thin and two of the others are bowling out of their skin, then he might not be picked. The beauty of the situation is that with Stevens and Bird as automatics plus Linde (assuming he arrives in time) then we do have those four for two places and that's without Stewart.
    Wouldnt be so sure - Stevo's powers have to wane at some point. I have a feeling this might be the season his body lets him down. he will still play his part but i doubt by the end of the season he will be an automatic pick.
  • Stevens is back! Salt is out playing a one day shot for 58 off 58 which causes some merriment for both batsman and bowler. Stevens now has figures of 11-4-29-1

138-4 off 35

I imagine Lancs signed Salt more for their white ball teams...

Wouldnt be so sure - Stevo's powers have to wane at some point. I have a feeling this might be the season his body lets him down. he will still play his part but i doubt by the end of the season he will be an automatic pick.
    Agreed. But unless Stevens, himself, is prepared to admit to issues, I can't see him not starting the season which would only leave two bowling spots. Plus, of course, he could argue that last season's 650 runs at 43.33 should be enough to get him in the England side as a batsman.  
  • although to be fair 493 of those runs came in a 12 over spell one afternoon
  • Stevens brings up 53 off 58 with a 4
  • Difficult to get one's head around these warm up games. Lancs declared on 169-4 off 45 overs. Kent are batting and are 89-1 off 20 overs.

Muyeye was out for a duck and his opening partner, DBD, is on 36* (60). In at number 3 (for those that are old enough to remember, that does rather make me sound like Alan Freeman with the famous Pick of the Pops chart countdown - come on we all used to tape them, didn't we?) is none other than Stevens - currently on 53 off just 58 balls.

Anyone mention Stevens for England?
  • Sponsored links:

•  Stevens is out for 84 off 85 balls

158-2 off 30.2

DBD 68* (95)
  • 172-2 off 37 at close

DBD 75* (113)
    Leaning 6* (22)
  • edited March 2022
    19-2 Milnes yorks Villas and now has figures of 5-2-14-2. Competition for those potential two fast bowling spots between Milnes, Podmore, Quinn and Gilchrist is going to be immense.

Steve read this and gone out to prove me wrong
  • I assume they played that format due to weather concerns, to give both teams a chance to bat and bowl
  • I assume they played that format due to weather concerns, to give both teams a chance to bat and bowl

That was, indeed, the case and shortly after Leaning was out for 7 play was abandoned.
  • Crawley will be playing next week against Essex.
  • Do we reckon both linde and bird will be here for the first game ? Will be interesting to see how we shape the side up with both of them in it. 
    wmcf123 said:
    Do we reckon both linde and bird will be here for the first game ? Will be interesting to see how we shape the side up with both of them in it. 
    Wonder if Linde might be having visa issues ?  I have no insider information to base that on.   

Can’t quite see why Cox wouldn’t open in 4 day cricket - always looks safer than DBD to me .  
    Both Linde and Bird have been playing in the last week domestic cricket in South Africa and Australia respectively. Not sure when either fly in but assume that both will be available for our first game.

I get the impression that the reason that we signed Compton was, as well as him being left handed, to open the batting from the start of the season. I've said before how Cox's average drops to mid 20s once you take out that massive partnership with Leaning and I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a feeling that Cox is a bit too loose to open. In fact, I would go on to say that I think Robinson is a better opener both from a technical and temperament perspective. However, as he has the gloves, that won't happen. DBD dropped down the order after seasons of not kicking on as a red ball opener but might still be the reserve opener if and when Crawley isn't available. And I also think that DBD might get the number 5 spot ahead of Cox for that reason.

Assuming that Linde and Bird arrive, that Crawley is available and that Stevens is fit, I could see this now being our starting XI for the first game:

Crawley
    Compton
    Denly 
    Leaning (C)
    DBD
    Robinson (WK)
    Linde
    Stevens
    Milnes
    Podmore/Gilchrist/Quinn
    Bird 

Looks like Crawley, Linde and Bird will be available for selection so wouldn't be surprised if the team isn't as per above - only change I could see is DBD opening (he did so alongside Compton in the warm up games) instead of Compton with Cox coming in at 5 but I still believe that the management like that left handed option at the top.
  • Sponsored links:

• What happened with that Ryan Patel rumour?
  • What happened with that Ryan Patel rumour?
    Any news @000__Jaaaaay__000?
  • edited April 2022
    Apparently he’s been hitting runs in his last few games which has made Surrey think twice of the decision to let him leave, not entirely sure how many he has hit but it’s touch and go at the minute 
  • The Bird has landed!!!!

• Do we reckon both linde and bird will be here for the first game ? Will be interesting to see how we shape the side up with both of them in it. 
    wmcf123 said:
    Do we reckon both linde and bird will be here for the first game ? Will be interesting to see how we shape the side up with both of them in it. 
    Wonder if Linde might be having visa issues ?  I have no insider information to base that on.   

Can’t quite see why Cox wouldn’t open in 4 day cricket - always looks safer than DBD to me .  
    Both Linde and Bird have been playing in the last week domestic cricket in South Africa and Australia respectively. Not sure when either fly in but assume that both will be available for our first game.

I get the impression that the reason that we signed Compton was, as well as him being left handed, to open the batting from the start of the season. I've said before how Cox's average drops to mid 20s once you take out that massive partnership with Leaning and I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a feeling that Cox is a bit too loose to open. In fact, I would go on to say that I think Robinson is a better opener both from a technical and temperament perspective. However, as he has the gloves, that won't happen. DBD dropped down the order after seasons of not kicking on as a red ball opener but might still be the reserve opener if and when Crawley isn't available. And I also think that DBD might get the number 5 spot ahead of Cox for that reason.

Assuming that Linde and Bird arrive, that Crawley is available and that Stevens is fit, I could see this now being our starting XI for the first game:

Crawley
    Compton
    Denly 
    Leaning (C)
    DBD
    Robinson (WK)
    Linde
    Stevens
    Milnes
    Podmore/Gilchrist/Quinn
    Bird 

Looks like Crawley, Linde and Bird will be available for selection so wouldn't be surprised if the team isn't as per above - only change I could see is DBD opening (he did so alongside Compton in the warm up games) instead of Compton with Cox coming in at 5 but I still believe that the management like that left handed option at the top.
    This interview suggests that Compton will be opening with Crawley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18eJbg2urIU
    wmcf123 said:

Crawley
    Compton
    Denly 
    Leaning (C)
    DBD
    Robinson (WK)
    Linde
    Stevens
    Milnes
    Podmore/Gilchrist/Quinn
    Bird 

This interview suggests that Compton will be opening with Crawley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18eJbg2urIU
    Nah, that's Jaydon Stockley  ;)
  • Crawley not now available for the game starting tomorrow as he has only just returned from the Windies but will be playing next week against Lancs. Linde only arrived on Monday and he will play next week too. Leaning is injured too. Biggest surprise is perhaps the captain - Ollie Robinson. I assume that he will be keeping too (and not Cox) which makes it an even bigger call given that the likes of Denly, Stevens and last year's skipper and the current white ball captain, DBD, will, presumably, be in the side. Podmore hasn't even made the 13.

Squad:

• Slightly bizarre that after 2 years of a completely separate competition, we revert back to the CC divisions based on the 2019 finishing positions

Good for us as we are still in Div 1, not so good for Notts, back in Div 2 despite coming 3rd last season!
  • Odds for the title

Essex 7/2
    Lancashire 9/2
    Warks 6/1
    Somerset 13/2
    Yorkshire 7/1
    Hampshire 7/1
    Surrey 8/1
    Kent 14/1
    Gloucestershire 16/1

• I availed myself of the 16/1 originally available given our numerous bowling options. Disappointed that (in addition to Billings) Crawley, Leaning and Linde are all be unavailable for what will be one of the toughest games of the season. That said, should rain intervene nationwide we could, potentially, be in no worse a position with those returning next week.