Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Plymouth Argyle | Saturday 20th November 2021

Comments

• edited November 2021
    Thoroughly deserved.

Thoroughly entertaining.

Great performances all round.

What's not to like?
  • Gutted I missed today, but didn't want to take the chance with the sickness bug. But roll on Morecombe Tuesday. 
  • edited November 2021
    First home league game I've missed for a long time...typical.  Sounds fantastic!  Watched BT Sports Football show and saw the goals announced...was still exciting.  Darren Ambrose on there said he thought Jacko and Euell had done an amazing turnaround and desertved the job(s).  Enjoyed the (short) highlights: https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/12473911/charlton-2-0-plymouth
  • Sponsored links:

• Great win! Great performance! DJ, Lee and Famewo were my stand out players. Special mention for Gilbey as well.....what an engine he has....some athlete. 
  • I wouldn't be surprised if we met these again in the play offs. They look solid and set up to beat a lot of teams in this League but lack our quality. Of course our quality wasn't evident until Jackson took over but this was a test which we passed with flying colours.
  • One good thing, good job there is no VAR in this league otherwise DJ would have conceded a handball penalty in the first half. Lucky it was at our end not theirs 
  • edited November 2021
    Loving the sour grapes on the Plymouth forum claiming it was our cup final. Brilliant performance, made a team playing very well look average at best. So many players performing at levels you wouldn't think possible after seeing them under Adkins.

Hope the Plymouth lads aren't too disappointed at missing out on the open-top bus parade they had arranged in expectance of their win.

.I haven’t read their forum(s) and have no issue with them but three things about Plymouth that I did notice and I’m quite happy to be told I’m wrong were 1) for a team at the top of the league some of their players looked like they weren’t coping with the atmosphere, particularly in the first half - that could be a big issue for them as the season progresses; 2) their fans ‘gave up’ too easily and weren’t backing their team enough (especially if they did have 63% possession); and 3) having to substitute your numbers 7,8 & 9, who presumably have those shirts because they are among your first pick for those positions, isn’t a good sign.
  • One good thing, good job there is no VAR in this league otherwise DJ would have conceded a handball penalty in the first half. Lucky it was at our end not theirs 
    I was right behind the goal and thought he fairly clearly controlled it with his midriff - was there a damming replay? 
  • edited November 2021
    I think you could see they are a solid well organised team. A good fit for this League where that is all you need to be to win a lot of games but they struggled with our press and fast breaks which I think meant they lacked confidence passing too much.

I would put them behind Rotherham and on a par with Sunderland in terms of teams we have faced recently. I thought we shaded Rotherham too but they seemed to have a bit more about them.  They may look at a defeat to a team in 17th as not being great, but the truth is that at this time we are probably the form team in the league. What they have to do is look at how they do against the better sides. I'm sure they will continue to have success against the lesser ones. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Fantastic win but it really does beg the question, what the hell was going on at the club under Adkins?

I mean, we can forgive the first 3-4 games as we brought players in late, but fuck me dead we were an absolute shambles under Adkins, those home losses to Bolton and Accrington were amongst the worst I have seen in my 35 year supporting the club.

What was going on? Did Adkins fall out with too many players? Were there splits in the camp between “his” players and the rest?

Let’s get real folks, Jackson has a far weaker squad than Adkins had, we are missing some of our best players, and we are winning games for fun whereas under Adkins we looked about at solid as a custard tart and as likely to win as a Labour candidate in Tunbridge Wells.

Would love to hear some insights because it’s got me beat, I could understand it is Adkins was a complete arsehole like Pardew and it was a personal thing but from the exterior, and given he did well last year, that doesn’t seem likely.

Very, very strange.
    In the Elliott Lee video released yesterday, he said that training intensity has increased 4-fold. People at the time were saying that Jackson and Euell were the coaches and part of the problem, but it seems to me that Adkins was in total control on what was happening, and it was dog shit.
    That rings true, one of the things I noticed under Adkins - even at home - was a complete inability to press and pressurise the opposition, we were just completely off the pace.
  • Bailey said:
    Adkins midfield was always being out numbered, Jacko has corrected that by playing three at the back with wing backs who have defensive nous covering. Adkins downfall was he either didn't want to change his system or he didnt know how to. 
    Or he couldn't because he had signed up to it when he got the job.
  • Fantastic win but it really does beg the question, what the hell was going on at the club under Adkins?

I mean, we can forgive the first 3-4 games as we brought players in late, but fuck me dead we were an absolute shambles under Adkins, those home losses to Bolton and Accrington were amongst the worst I have seen in my 35 year supporting the club.

What was going on? Did Adkins fall out with too many players? Were there splits in the camp between “his” players and the rest?

Let’s get real folks, Jackson has a far weaker squad than Adkins had, we are missing some of our best players, and we are winning games for fun whereas under Adkins we looked about at solid as a custard tart and as likely to win as a Labour candidate in Tunbridge Wells.

Would love to hear some insights because it’s got me beat, I could understand it is Adkins was a complete arsehole like Pardew and it was a personal thing but from the exterior, and given he did well last year, that doesn’t seem likely.

Very, very strange.
    In the Elliott Lee video released yesterday, he said that training intensity has increased 4-fold. People at the time were saying that Jackson and Euell were the coaches and part of the problem, but it seems to me that Adkins was in total control on what was happening, and it was dog shit.
    That rings true, one of the things I noticed under Adkins - even at home - was a complete inability to press and pressurise the opposition, we were just completely off the pace.
    Absolutely. It sounds basic but work rate at this level along with organisation is absolutely key. Then you let your ‘talented’ players take care of the rest. Under Adkins we had the talent but neither of the first two!
  • Devastatingly comfortable home win. 
  • Bailey said:
    Adkins midfield was always being out numbered, Jacko has corrected that by playing three at the back with wing backs who have defensive nous covering. Adkins downfall was he either didn't want to change his system or he didnt know how to. 
    Not only that, Jacko has picked the three players who bring a balance of technique and ground covering energy.