Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

First single you bought

Comments

• edited November 2021
    Davo55 said:
    The Boxer - Simon & Garfunkel
    I like that song
     The Boxer, is my song. I had a really troubled childhood and teenage years, including sleeping rough for a while, this song  brings me too tears.
  • The Monkees "Alternate Title"... was just so different.  think it must have been 1967ish.
  • masicat said:
    Here Comes the Night
    Them
    Love that song, lead singer Van Morrison, brilliant.
  • Picture of You, Joe Brown and the Bruvvers.
  • Sweet - Hell Raiser 
  • edited November 2021
    Used to buy albums rather than singles but the first single I bought was West End Girls - Pet Shop Boys 
  • Slade.
    skweeze Me Pleeze Me 

• Seaside Shuffle by Terry Dactyl and the Dinosaurs. 
  • Diana by Paul Anka.
  • Sponsored links:

• Theme From "A Summer Place", Percy Faith Orchestra.
  • I wasn't a believer in buying singles for a long time as I'd just tape them off the radio. Not to mention it was only when Oasis rang my bell and they would mean the £3.99 gave a bit more value for money as they had B sides as good if not better than the album tracks, still have all the singles from definitely maybe, morning glory and Be Here Now. Normally a single would have B sides that were truly awful or worse, remixes of the A side 

That said the first single I bought with my own money was either a cassette of Bitty McLean it keeps raining or Shaggy Oh Carolina
  • Lullaby of Birdland by the Ted Heath Band.  Bought it just before I went into the Navy, so must have been around 1951/52.  Still my favourite tune, I also like George Shearing's version.
  • limeygent said:
    Theme From "A Summer Place", Percy Faith Orchestra.
    Coincidentally that came on my Spotify selection on my phone yesterday. 
  • Would love to claim it was the Who's "Can't Explain" . I certainly did  buy it, but I fear there were a couple of mis-steps before this first step on the right path....
  • Would love to claim it was the Who's "Can't Explain" . I certainly did  buy it, but I fear there were a couple of mis-steps before this first step on the right path....
    my favourite Who track (what a loser)
  • You're doing well boys Gary Glitter & Rolf Harris.
    Just waiting for Jonathan King.
  • With great embarrassment, I can reveal it was Frank Ifield’s I Remember You. The Beatles’ I Feel Fine was next.
  • Fire by Arthur Brown.
  • Not sure about this,think it was Gene Vincent be bop a lula,great track with the wonderful Cliff Gallup on guitar.Lucky enough to see him perform at Woolwich Odean.
  • Sponsored links:

• Lily the pink by Scaffold.
    Just found out recently that Jona Lewie was in that band.
  • ‘68 Guns’ - The Alarm
  • Honaloochie Boogie

Mott the Hoople
  • Was either Eye of Tiger or Fame by Irene Cara. From the Woolworths that was on Plumstead High Street.
  • Swinging Shepherd Blues.by Ted Heath.on a 78. in 1958 played on a Dansette. And still have it but cannot play it.
  • Not sure I can remember what I bought (some rubbish probably) ,but a female friend got me White wedding by Billy Idol, shortly after I made my apologies and exited stage left, all ended well when she found a nice boy unlike this sleaze. 
  • My first single, bought at a very young age, was It's Not Unusual by Tom Jones. He probably wasn't very cool at that point in his career but, as I said, I was very young. 

I love the 45 rpm single format and have now got approx 4,500. There are definitely several bands and solo artists who've only ever released 3 minutes that's worth listening to - I won't name names it would only cause a ruckus!
  • In the Summer Time    Mungo Jerry
    Just found out recently that Jona Lewie was in that band.
    So did I.