Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Gunter on the lash with fans

13»

Comments

• Options
    Regarding anti English sentiment in Wales, it runs very deep.
    The Scots having nothing on the Welsh when it comes to open hostility and antipathy towards the English, which many of them will not shirk from making quite evident.
    I say this with a very strong Welsh bloodline…..starting with my grandfather.
    If this is true, all I can say is that it must be very localised or very well hidden. My family have lived in Wales for 30 years and with the exception of 2020 I've been there every year since. I've worked for short spells in both Cardiff and Swansea and have travelled extensively. I have never met a Welsh person who has been anything less than charming towards me and have never heard of any trouble from any of my family. The only person I've met there who said they didn't like the English was a Mancunian arsehole who said, 'I hate the English, and I include my self in that'. I agreed with him on the latter.
  • Options
    Worked on numerous occasions in Cardiff, never had any problems at all, in fact my accent has been complimented quite often. For what it's worth, Gunter did a bloody good job filling in at left back and  steps up to wherever he is asked to play, doesn't hide. 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    He'd probably play in goal if you asked him and he'd give it his best! Not my favourite player, I was expecting a lot more when he signed, but it's hard to argue with the effort he puts in. Being constantly played out of position can't help. Chopping and changing every bloody week.
  • Options
    Anyone know why he has continued to captain under JJ in the absence of Pearce and Stockley, if he does not really care?
  • Options
    Hard to put my finger on why but Gunter is one that has never really felt like a Charlton player. Always seems Wales is his priority 
    That's not really a surprise though is it?

He was born in Wales, played his youth career and became pro at Cardiff and he's been playing for the national team for almost 15 years. He's (somewhat surprisingly) a hero to Wales fans.

He's been playing for us for 13 months. Wales is obviously in his heart, we're just another job.
  • Options
    I did nearly get beaten up in Swansea once but that was because I’d. when living in Llanelli and when drunk sounded like I came from there 😱