Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Give Jacko The Job (He got given it on page 31...)

1646566676870»

Comments

• Options
    Exactly, so Pearce Morgan Matthews and Gilbey aren't really the problem then. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022

They managed to finish 7th last season though and with Watson in midfield most of the time.
    Take out Aneke, JFC, Doughty, Millar, Maatsen, Amos plus the league is massively stronger this season. Last year due to covid teams didn’t spend anything and it was a poor league so we came 7th even though we were pretty average. 

We’ve got worse and the league got stronger. Realistically our team is probably around 10th-12th strongest in the league and that’s how we’ve performed under Jackson 
  • Options
    Yes.... I know. We've also added Aneke and Fraser in January. Still doesn't make Pearce, Matthews, Gilbey and Morgan the problem though.

Average manager, average players. 

Clearly, once we have 11 of the best players we'll do better. 
  • Options
    Yes.... I know. We've also added Aneke and Fraser in January. Still doesn't make Pearce, Matthews, Gilbey and Morgan the problem though.

Average manager, average players

That is the problem, then. Pearce, Matthews, Gilbey, and Morgan are just average players. When you expect to be chasing for promotion, which is hardly unreasonable given the size of club we are and the noises made from the top at the time they were trying to sell us season tickets, average is just not good enough. I won't be sorry if these four never play for Charlton again, and I'm pretty sure I could name another four regular fist teamers like that as well. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    But they were average last season no? Average players can look good and perform better, as they did finishing 7th last season.

Average players not being able to look better than average, that's the problem then. 

I don't care for the Jackson debate, I'm not proper Charlton after all, but, plenty of coaches have done alright and got a tune out of average players before, it's not unheard of.
  • Options
    Sorry, but I don't understand the reasoning that last season was good enough. It was a season in which we failed to make the play-offs. 
  • Options
    Who said it was good enough?

It was a season we missed out on the playoffs, but we were a lot closer than this, with largely the same players. Bit they're clearly the issue and nothing more than 15th at best. 
  • Options
    Well that’s it exactly, as I said in the match thread yesterday. 

Average players coached averagely will finish in an average position in the league.

• Options
    Stig said:

Average manager, average players

That is the problem, then. Pearce, Matthews, Gilbey, and Morgan are just average players. When you expect to be chasing for promotion, which is hardly unreasonable given the size of club we are and the noises made from the top at the time they were trying to sell us season tickets, average is just not good enough. I won't be sorry if these four never play for Charlton again, and I'm pretty sure I could name another four regular fist teamers like that as well. 
    Ditto on the 4 you mentioned and more.  My list is growing 

MacG
    Matthews
    Gunter
    Souare
    Watson
    Purrington
    Pearce
    Famewo
    DJ
    Lee
    Morgan
    Gilbey
    Leko
    Davison 

I’m actually indifferent to everyone else bar Dobson at the moment.  I’m not convinced even the likes of Stockley is going to lead us out of this division.  

This is a huge summer.  If any of that above list that are coming to the end of their contracts are retained, I’d say we have serious problems 
  • Options
    Jacko’s Points per game 44/30
    would currently put us on 63 points which would put us 12th
    and a season ending total of 67.5

About right for a team that has Gilbey and Morgan in midfield with Pearce and Matthews in defence…

They managed to finish 7th last season though and with Watson in midfield most of the time.
    The difference is we scored more goals. Last season we scored 70, we're currently on 51 with 3 games left.

We've conceded 56, last season 55.

Amos, Maatsen, JFC, Millar and Aneke all left and weren't adequately replaced, never mind upgraded on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Scoham said:

About right for a team that has Gilbey and Morgan in midfield with Pearce and Matthews in defence…

The difference is we scored more goals. Last season we scored 70, we're currently on 51 with 3 games left.

Amos, Maatsen, JFC, Millar and Aneke all left and weren't adequately replaced, never mind upgraded on.

True,  and I agree.

We started this season with a worse side than the one that ended last, but we spent that first half with Smyth and Washington out wide, Pratley and Watson in the middle with Pearce/Deji and Matthews/Gunter rotating behind them  and best there is Bogez up top, a lot of no better than 15th to bottom half league one players, that, didn't actually spend much, if any time below 15th. 

The point I'm (probably badly) trying to make is, we got better out of our very average, very mid table players last season under the tactical genius of Lee Bowyer, Jackson isn't, at least, not often enough, and that's not a great sign. Mainly for Sandgaard's bank account. 

• Options
    Scoham said:

This, this and this again.

Last season there were only about 2 or 3 teams that were significantly better than us.    If we had upgraded the "worst" 5 players we would have been title contenders.  We did that but but didn't replace our 5 best ones that all left. 
  • Options
    Jacko’s Points per game 47/31
    would currently put us on 66.7 points which would put us 11th
    and a season ending total of 69.75
  • Options
    But would only have played 5 of the top 6 once......
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Partly balanced out by having all those games without any senior strikers. Would expect to have four hopefully five first team strikers next season.
  • Options
    Probably a fair reflection. Definitely underachieved but not seen anything to show we should be anywhere near the top 6.
  • Options
    Jacko’s Points per game 50/32
    would currently put us on 70.3 points which would put us 9th
    and a season ending total of 71.875

• Options
    Jonniesta said:

Which is pretty good considering the injuries and where we were mentally when he took over. And that's the main point... if you'd offered us 12th (or even 13th) when he took over we'd have taken it. Would I take it next year? Not a chance. But by no measure could it be said he's done a bad job. Next season is the one to answer "can he take us up?"... not this one. 
    Mostly I agree with your point, but what you are not mentioning is our god awful style of play which he has had time to get right, do we trust in him to make it better? At the moment he has a lot of excuses to be made in his favour which would allow him to build in the summer, but he has to start the season on the front foot. However he has given reason or demonstrated he’s got a lot to prove still.
  • Options
    edited April 2022

Certainly better than Adkins PPG this season. 9pts from 13 games, (0.69ppg) which would put us on a season ending total of 32 points and 23rd.

Adkins 0.69ppg.
    Jackson 1.56 ppg.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    paulfox said:
    Jonniesta said:

Which is pretty good considering the injuries and where we were mentally when he took over. And that's the main point... if you'd offered us 12th (or even 13th) when he took over we'd have taken it. Would I take it next year? Not a chance. But by no measure could it be said he's done a bad job. Next season is the one to answer "can he take us up?"... not this one. 
    Mostly I agree with your point, but what you are not mentioning is our god awful style of play which he has had time to get right, do we trust in him to make it better? At the moment he has a lot of excuses to be made in his favour which would allow him to build in the summer, but he has to start the season on the front foot. However he has given reason or demonstrated he’s got a lot to prove still.
    Agreed there's been some weird decisions and poor play. Don't understand the Gilbey fascination given his 3 month form, don't really get why we've lost the press we had early in his stewardship. I'm basically saying the same as you, he's had a lot of excuses. I think they're good excuses, but I don't think he can claim them next season. If the players are wrong next year, it's his team. If the style is wrong, he's had a pre-season to get it right. If we have a few out, we should have people and a plan to cope. If the loans are wrong, he shouldn't have signed them. If the style of play is godawful, I frankly don't give a damn, provided we get the wins. I'd expect it to be better than we've seen, though, because he has set his stall by 3-5-2 and should have the team to play it. So I'll be stupidly excited again about the new season, and fully behind him... to start with! 

• Options
    Was not in favour of appointing at the time and said so  now we have to stick with him
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    Was not in favour of appointing at the time and said so  now we have to stick with him
    Because?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I wouldn’t be surprised if Thomas pulled the trigger and let Johnnie go, depends how much he trusts him, I know the team lineup turned out pants in the end (if I’m being harsh) we don’t know if Johnnie or the players had been told this week that this was the end of the road at Charlton.

Bit harsh to critique Harness (not that I’ve seen any of that) I think he might turn out to be a great keeper like Pope (he might not) who wasn’t the finished article when he was here, but had massive potential.

What does concern me is if RI and AG are in the team first game of the Season.

what did we learn from yesterday? We’re miles away from where we want to be next season, if you were placing bets you’d say Ipswich looked destined for a top 6 finish, we look destined for a bottom 6 finish, the gulf was massive.
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    Because?
    At the time my reason was that Jackson and Euell part of the failed firdt team staff. They were also part of Bowyers staff and we know how poor that football was.
    msomerton said:
    Was not in favour of appointing at the time and said so  now we have to stick with