Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Give Jacko The Job (He got given it on page 31...)

Comments

• Croydon said:
    I still think JJ deserves the summer and see how we start next season. The squad is a mess, plus who is out there realistically to come in? 

Disagree. There's no signs of this system he's supposed to be building, despite the fact he's been so stubborn with it - even to our detriment. I have no faith that he'd make the use of new players, especially when he gives JFC the wrong role on his first start back.

The persistence with this system will require major additions in the summer.  

We don’t have any specific players able to play at wing back.  We have wingers and full backs having a stab at it, some adapting better than others.  But can you seriously say rotating Purrington, CBT and DJ at left wing back next season will scare anyone other than our fanbase? 

The right side is similar.  Perhaps more natural balance in Matthews, CBT, DJ and even Clare out there, but we don’t have the required quality.

Then there’s the back 3.  Clare has found a home at the right of the back 3, but you’re never playing him as a 2.  After that, Pearce is past it.  If we’re resigning him, it has to be as cover, and Inniss and Famewo probably won’t be here next season.

That’s 5 roles you have to recruit for already, before we’ve even got onto evaluating if the midfield and forward line is good enough.

At this stage, and I know it’s not going to happen, we need 11-12 in and a lot out 
  • edited April 2022
    I don’t disagree that we need to bring in some ‘natural’ wingbacks, but I’m struggling to see how that will improve our play.

CBT has obviously been really good, and Matthews has been very solid lately - yet we still look horribly disjointed, and we still move the ball at a very slow tempo. 

• We know none of the 6 loanees aren’t likely to sign permanently. Add to that Souare, Gunter, Watson and Henderson as almost certain to be released that’s 10 already. I think you can add Inniss to that too.

Pearce, Matthews, Purrington and Washington are all possibles to stay. Washington will no doubt be offered a deal and is worth keeping as a squad player. I can see Purrington staying as squad player too. Pearce is an interesting one as Jackson hasn’t been using him recently (though Saturday seems likely). I hope we let Matthews go but with 10-12 going he might win another year.

We don’t need to replace all of those going as some can be replaced by one player, e.g. Castillo and Souare, John and Lee.

That gets us close to the numbers TS talked about when he said 2-5 permanents and 5/6 loans.

I also wonder if someone unexpected will be moved on such as Gilbey or Morgan. No point including replacements for them until they’ve gone and need replacing. It might be the plan for one or two but the interest needs to be there.
  • edited April 2022
    I thought Jacko's use of players would be better than what I've seen. 

Am just disappointed how players are in favour, then dropped but no flexibility with the formation has been displayed at all. 

Your team are generally awful to watch when many players are out of position. That's where we are. The squad / players have been a constant so I expected some better managerial decisions being made.
  • Regardless of my sentiments to the contrary, I'm beginning to wonder if a top to bottom clearout isn't necessary. Bring in a whole new management and, possibly, medical team. New broom and all that.
  • Scoham said:
    Maybe but just as much of a gamble as Jackson
    No (too short term)
    No (wouldn’t be the same)
    No (doubt he’d come here and we’d have to give him more than a season to build a possession team who win games, our fans don’t have the patience for that)
    No (at Gillingham for a reason)

Not a great list of alternatives is it?
    Should the job become vacant then there will be a lot of applications. Some will be quite a surprise. There are also lots of foreign coaches out there. The pool of alternatives is not restricted to Neil Warnock and Neil Harris. 
  • Scoham said:
    No (too short term)
    No (doubt he’d come here and we’d have to give him more than a season to build a possession team who win games, our fans don’t have the patience for that)

Should the job become vacant then there will be a lot of applications. Some will be quite a surprise. There are also lots of foreign coaches out there. The pool of alternatives is not restricted to Neil Warnock and Neil Harris. 
    It happened last year and we ended up with Adkins. Could have done well with good recruitment but hardly a managerial genius who would get a lot more from this squad.
  • Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    No (too short term)

It happened last year and we ended up with Adkins. Could have done well with good recruitment but hardly a managerial genius who would get a lot more from this squad.
    The decision to choose Adkins was not the responsibility of the other applicants though. It of course didn’t work out but I also think it’s fair to say that although his appointment was “underwhelming” it was also viewed as a safe and sensible choice given the then situation. The fact is we havn’t improved one iota from that point. Jackson for me, has also underwhelmed. I’m happy to see him get the nod for next season and of course hope he proves me wrong but my money is that this time next season we’ll be having the same conversations. We need a clear out from the top to bottom including coaching and recruitment. Far too much baggage. We need fresh blood and fresh ideas.
  • I still think JJ deserves the summer and see how we start next season. The squad is a mess, plus who is out there realistically to come in? 

Michael Beale, Neil Warnock, Chris Powell, young MK manager if they don't go up, Neil Harris. 

Ideally a coach who makes players better. 
    NEIL HARRIS!!!

Thats end of days stuff to me…. and probably only him and Evans could be worse than Warnock 
  • edited April 2022
    Scoham said:
    No (too short term)

Though we could always use him as a striker, he was very useful.
  • Sponsored links:

• Really wanted it to work out for Jacko but not impressed so far.   Players in wrong positions similar to Bowyer, lack of flexibility, tactically poor. Part of me says give him the summer etc etc but thinking now we really do need a fresh start with complete new management with fresh ideas.  I see how Ipswich have improved with their young progressive young manager & am slightly jealous.  If we have a chance of similar then maybe we need to be ruthless.  Michael Beale has been mentioned & after reading up on him he would certainly fit this criteria! 

• edited April 2022
    He has shown absolutely nothing whatsoever to suggest he ‘deserves’ a summer with his own players.  Some people need Open theirs eyes and look past the love you have for him. Doesn’t matter what players you have, you can still try and play progressive and fluent football, something we haven’t done for ages. 
  • Is it really worth pursuing with the likes of Purrington, Matthews & Pearce, even as squad players?  None of them are going to help get us up.  The danger with signing them as squad players is that before you know it, they’ve clocked up 60 odd games between them and we’re back here this time next year, crying.  

I thought Morgan was out of contract so I would add him to that list, but I could be wrong.  

I agree all of the loans probably won’t be here next season and Inniss blew his chance of staying here with that tackle last night and the fact he was laughing.  Still haven’t seen an apology today as yet like Gilbey did.  At least he had the decency to acknowledge it.

I like Washington’s work rate and think he’s okay, but the combination of him, Stockley and Aneke isn’t exciting me one little bit for next year.  Stockley is okay in many aspects of his play, but when I think of the benchmark for a promotion gaining forward, he’s not Kermorgant, BWP or Lyle Taylor and if you want to go further back, Hunt and Mendonca.

We’re stuck with Gilbey.

Dobson has been excellent and Clare decent overall.  I think Fraser will come good.  JFC will most likely get a contract even though I have never got the hype.  

This is why I think we need big movement.  Also, if we keep some of the ‘squad players’ we’re never going to shake the cloud that’s hung over the team for the last 2 years.  For my own positivity and maybe others (I can’t speak for them), surely we don’t want any of the underachievers still hanging around next season.  It would be very depressing.  

I’m not sure if it’s a general easy going stance among our fan base, but I feel we’re a forgiving and accepting bunch sometimes when it comes to thinking ‘he could do a job’.

I am sure there are some that would still welcome Pratley back - the mind boggles 
  • Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    No (too short term)

What was the worse decision; giving Adkins the job or not giving him the tools to succeed?

All the things people are saying Jackson needs (time, better players, his players etc) are what Adkins should have got.

All the things people are saying that should happen instead of Jackson getting the job are all the things Adkins and Jackson should have got.

• edited April 2022
    The Plymouth home game in November was the best I’ve seen us play for a helluva long time. We had a style of play pressurising the opposition when we didn’t have the ball and a tempo to our passing when we had possession. We looked dangerous going forward for the majority of the game.

This was the line-up that day:

Our results have been poor since then and our general play has deteriorated.

Since Plymouth, our record is:

League

P 23
    W 8
    D 4
    L 11

F 24 A 28

That’s half a season, picking up 31 points out of a possible 69. Scoring at nigh on 1 a game (nowhere near good enough) and conceding at just over 1 a game.

Apart from throwing some stats out, I’m not sure what my point is apart from what’s gone so wrong or changed since Plymouth?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    No (too short term)

What was the worse decision; giving Adkins the job or not giving him the tools to succeed?

All the things people are saying Jackson needs (time, better players, his players etc) are what Adkins should have got.

All the things people are saying that should happen instead of Jackson getting the job are all the things Adkins and Jackson should have got.

Agree. Where I disagree with others is the idea that Jackson should be achieving a lot more with this squad. He doesn’t have the quality, the subs and the motivation isn’t there.

We’ve got a squad who can’t wait for the season to end and many of them will be moving on. You can say motivation should come from the manager but we’re past that point this season, any improvement will only be very short term. We’ll only get a lasting improvement with better players and a new season giving squad we have by then a fresh start. For me Jackson can’t be properly judged on this season.
  • edited April 2022
    Macronate said:
    The Plymouth home game in November was the best I’ve seen us play for a helluva long time. We had a style of play pressurising the opposition when we didn’t have the ball and a tempo to our passing when we had possession. We looked dangerous going forward for the majority of the game.

League

P 23
    W 8
    D 4
    L 11

F 24 A 28

That’s half a season, picking up 31 points out of a possible 69. Scoring at nigh on 1 a game (nowhere near good enough) and conceding at just over 1 a game.

Apart from throwing some stats out, I’m not sure what my point is apart from what’s gone so wrong or changed since Plymouth?

We stopped playing Ben Purrington at centre mid.
  • Taken from another thread. I rarely contribute these days but still lurk. I love the club but my love for these players and management is terminated.

When die hard regulars of many years standing moan then the club need to listen. Contrary to what others say on here, if you've been watching Charlton for 40,50,60 plus years and attending week in week out, year after year after year, you do know your stuff and how Charlton should look and play. We know something is very wrong at the club we love.

I absolutely resent people saying we are Sunday park football players who don't understand the game. That is utter tosh. In my opinion (and I have discussed this with others that have watched us for over 50 years) sometimes managers get too close to players and make decisions based on performance and/or attitude in training etc. To me all that counts is performance on the pitch as to whether players should get game time. Possibly Gilbey is a case in point based on how Jackson speaks about him. That also goes for excellent shot saving goalkeepers that lose out to keepers that are better with their feet. Nonsense.

@Redskin and @Davo53 aren't regulars, have not lived and breathed in the flesh the absolute rubbish on display this season. I banged on about something a couple of months back and someone brought it up again after yesterday's performance - why is it that when he got the job, we excellently applied the high press, trapping top 6 teams, Plymouth and Rotherham, in their own half and winning the ball high up the pitch. Why did this suddenly stop?

Why have players regressed under us ie Lee, Kirk, DJ? The club is a shambles from top to bottom and it appears management merely pay lip service to fans views. We want an experienced CEO, we want Keohane out and we want a manager who is able to be flexible in his tactical play and can improve players. Premiership ready - My arse, just win games. So fed up with it all.
  • edited April 2022
    I still think JJ is the right man for the job and should be given the time and backing to build a side in his own vision.

There is a long-standing belief amongst many Charlton fans (although I don't necessarily entirely subscribe to it) that our recent successful periods have come as a result of having "one of our own" in charge. To this end, JJ represents that in spades and, having read and watched a number of interviews with him, that this man does bleed Charlton. I think he desperately wants to bring success to this club once more and, from that perspective, he ticks that box. It naturally lends fan support to extend somewhat further to him than an "outsider" and I think that has both a positive impact holistically on the club. This also leans into player motivation and management too - they need to buy into this as well, although they are not normally going to have the passion he has for the club.

This season has been a write-off for a while. Most disappointingly, form drastically improved when he came in, then has yo-yo'd inconsistently since. The squad that was put together last summer was simply not good enough. Loan usage has generally been a lot worse that previous seasons. Most signings did not perform as well as we wanted. Responsibility for this season lies squarely with NA for the start and the majority of the squad for the season as a whole. As many people have pointed out, JJ pulled a lot of points out of this lot when they weren't performing and, averaging that out, would have taken us higher up the table. 

Some people point out the lack of fluid football and rigidity to the system JJ wants to play. He is not without flaw in terms of selection and tactics. Ultimately, I see that as a young manager trying to get blood out of a stone from a largely duff squad that he wouldn't choose to have. I would love to see a wholesale refresh, but I think this is relatively unlikely, given the spend we have committed to this season. Sadly, I think many of these players know they've had a shit season and mentally checked out of playing for the shirt months ago. Some are still trying, but many are not. It's a wholly League One squad at this time, but I truly believe that with some purchases of a few decent players for this league, a look below at hungry League Two players and less square pegs in round holes, we can get to playoff contention next season.

We are where we are, but I think JJ should be given more time to mould a team around his vision. No-one wants another season like this, but progress will take time. It's naturally frustrating as one of the bigger clubs in this league. However, we are competing with some "big" teams now. I honestly see no reason to continue the revolving door with managers when we've given the opportunity to someone who wants success here as much as JJ. He is going to make mistakes and continue to learn, but provided I continue to see progress, he has my support. My blame for this season goes squarely on the bulk of the squad and their recruitment.

We should back our boy with everything, until he has shown he is out of his depth. Results when he came in were earnt and showed the potential - now we just need to get the summer business done well and hit the ground running next season.
  • Macronate said:

League

P 23
    W 8
    D 4
    L 11

F 24 A 28

Caretaker manager bounce I think now.  They didn’t like Adkins, thought Jacko would be easier to work under and pushed the effort levels up I think 
  • Sponsored links:

• I think if JJ changed his name to, Robinson, fraeye, Luzon, les reed, Nigel Adkins, add as many as you like. He wouldn’t be manager of Charlton for much longer/still. Sadly I don’t see anything to make me excited to see what may happen going forward. I’m not enjoying his stubbornness because it’s not yielding results,I’m not enjoying our style of play(whatever it is I’m not certain), I’m not enjoying the players being asked to implement whatever the hell is supposed to be happening. Rip it up and start again as far as I’m concerned, fresh faces and ideas are needed as I all I see is a repeat of this season. So we may aswell get a new management team in with new players and properly start again. I’m sad for Jacko but for me the timing is all wrong, he should never have been given the job permanently until the end of the season based on how he did.
  • I think it is highly likely TS will make a manager change at the end of this season. The style of play we have is baffling and regressive. If you were about to put another million or so into new players and contracts would you trust it to Jacko. Much as I love him , I’m not sure I would. 
  • edited April 2022
    I think there is the added factor of Pope and Gomez. A small part of the money we could potentially earn from their sales could fund something. 

In terms of trusting it to Jacko. I think you have to come to a point where just sacking managers is not the answer and I personally would rather the cost of that be used for bringing players in.

The style we have was less baffling when Jacko took over and it was working. With the right players it can work. 
  • At this season's end the manager, and those who have an input, need to decide the preferred playing systems for next season and then ensure that the recruiters bring in the skills for those playing systems, retain those who fit and get rid of players who do not fit.

I hope that is Jacko but if not then he needs to be replaced by end of this season or we will be in the same position as 12 months ago.
  • At this season's end the manager, and those who have an input, need to decide the preferred playing systems for next season and then ensure that the recruiters bring in the skills for those playing systems, retain those who fit and get rid of players who do not fit.

I hope that is Jacko but if not then he needs to be replaced by end of this season or we will be in the same position as 12 months ago.
    What happens when the system doesn’t work and needs to be changed? Buy lots of new players that can play the new system?. I’d be inclined to just buy better players that aren’t so limited they can only play certain systems.good players can play anywhere is my point.
  • Any insiders know what Terry Skivertons role is? I know what his official title is and I'm certainly not blaming him for our style of play but what does he do in his role with us? 
  • I think it is highly likely TS will make a manager change at the end of this season. The style of play we have is baffling and regressive. If you were about to put another million or so into new players and contracts would you trust it to Jacko. Much as I love him , I’m not sure I would. 
    I am still not convinced TS is not having an input into the way we play. He has his finger in every pie so you cannot tell me he does not get involved in formation discussions. 
  • Any insiders know what Terry Skivertons role is? I know what his official title is and I'm certainly not blaming him for our style of play but what does he do in his role with us? 
    Any insiders know what Jason Euell's role is? I know what his official title is and I'm certainly not blaming him for our style of play but what does he do in his role with us?

Oh he is "pwoper Charlton" so ignore that question.

We must be the most xenophobic club in the country. If it wasn't for Mervin Day we would have won the champions league. 
  • Terry Skiverton is English.
    From what I have seen he is chief tea drinker - at least that’s all I have seen him do during a game.