Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Ashes 2021/22

Comments

• Options
    @ Addick Addict ... your prime example of Sangakkara is an interesting one.  A T20 average of 31.40 at a Strike rate of 119.55. 

In 20 overs, on his own, he would total about 144.  That sort of score would lose as often as it would win. 

Sadly (and I've just picked these on a whim) players like Woakes (24.50 at 148.48) and Sam Curran (18.20 at 159.64 ) are a much better bet.  And there are probably hundreds of others.

In T20, you can get away with high risk, poor technique shots.  If you do get out, the next clubber might get lucky. 

In Test cricket, it's the opposite .. and good technique is paramount.  Just like Boycott says.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Not Ashes related but Quinton de Kock has announced his retirement from Test cricket at the age of 29.
    IMO that is a huge blow for South Africa and test cricket in general.
    The shot he played today suggested he'd lost interest and was not right mentally, but what a shame for the test game to lose such a player at 29.

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Off_it said:
    Boycott sticks the knife in .. and than gives is a twist .. ouch !!

Geoffrey Boycott accuses Joe Root of living in 'cuckoo land' (msn.com)
    Fuck Boycott. 
    Which bit has Boycott got wrong then?
    What exactly is Root supposed to say, "we are dogshit and I blame it all on my teammates and also the ECB for ruining the game"?

I know Boycott would probably have said that, but then he also was convicted for domestic abuse so, to use his own language, I "dont give a toss" what the old bastard has to say these days.
    How about this from Root?

"We are unhappy with the way that we have lost the first three games and we recognise that our batsmen have to adjust to the wickets and conditions in Australia.  In particular, we need to leave balls which are going over the stumps ... as you can trust the bounce more here than in England ... and this will reduce the number of gloved and edged chances that are going to the slip cordon."

"We also need our batsmen to concentrate on building a big innings.  It's difficult when the ball is new and the bowlers are fresh, so we have to focus on defence primarily.  That means avoiding risky shots and preserving our wicket rather than run scoring.  If we can survive the first hour or two, we can cash in later as the bowlers tire and the ball becomes less problematic."

OK with that?  Or do you prefer the kind of recycled jingoism that we usually hear (and Anderson has just done it in the last hour or so) where the players are urged to 'give it everything' and that we have to 'move on and go again'?   
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    @ Addick Addict ... your prime example of Sangakkara is an interesting one.  A T20 average of 31.40 at a Strike rate of 119.55. 

In 20 overs, on his own, he would total about 144.  That sort of score would lose as often as it would win. 

Sadly (and I've just picked these on a whim) players like Woakes (24.50 at 148.48) and Sam Curran (18.20 at 159.64 ) are a much better bet.  And there are probably hundreds of others.

In T20, you can get away with high risk, poor technique shots.  If you do get out, the next clubber might get lucky. 

In Test cricket, it's the opposite .. and good technique is paramount.  Just like Boycott says.
    Add half a dozen extras and 150 would have been enough to win more than half of the games in the recent T20 World Cup. The point about Sangakkara is that he could rotate the strike to allow the hitters to face more balls. But that isn't any good if Bairstow, Banton and Morgan were consistently getting out for next to nothing at the other end. Woakes and Curran do not bat in the Power Play which is the only time that the white ball really does anything and their scores will probably not alter the result if, again, you are three down inside the first half a dozen overs.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Not Ashes related but Quinton de Kock has announced his retirement from Test cricket at the age of 29.
    The shot he played today suggested he'd lost interest and was not right mentally, but what a shame for the test game to lose such a player at 29.

A good player but by no means a great one at Test level. 

Rickelton, Verreynne or Qeshile will walk into the team now, they have big boots to fill, but not insurmountably big ones
  • Options
    And Ross Taylor is retiring from international cricket at the end of the summer too - scored over 3,000 runs against England in all formats
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Rickelton or Qeshile will walk into the team now, they have big boots to fill, but not insurmountably big ones
    It's more that he's another "big name" exiting the Test stage early. 

You can imagine Buttler doing the same at the end of the Ashes, just as Moeen and Adil Rashid have
  • Options
    And Ross Taylor is retiring from international cricket at the end of the summer too - scored over 3,000 runs against England in all formats
    That doesn't necessarily make him a good player!!!
    Agreed - but we could do with a middle order bat who averages against all countries just under 45. His actual average against us was less than that at 41
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:

Rickelton or Qeshile will walk into the team now, they have big boots to fill, but not insurmountably big ones
    It's more that he's another "big name" exiting the Test stage early. 

You can imagine Buttler doing the same at the end of the Ashes, just as Moeen and Adil Rashid have
    I just don't think Buttler even wanted to go to Australia or play Test or CC cricket. His body language when keeping reflects that. The irony is that he left Somerset originally because of the competition with Kieswetter for the gloves and then ends up not keeping for three years in the CC.  

He will secure his IPL, Big Bash, The Hundred, Blast and other franchsises and do very well too. Great white ball cricketer who carried us on the biggest stage but very average red ball one. 
  • Options
    Khawaja to get a chance batting at 5 then it seems…
  • Options
    What's a RAT test ? 

Surely Warner is a shoo-in for a +ive on that one
  • Options
    There is seven days in a week - why not play 4 day games have a day off - have 3 x t20 teams turn up at a ground like finals day and play each other - have a day off . Have a two week block for the hundred using the finals day idea -  3 matches in a day. 

That fits everything in.

I do think that there are too many very very average county cricketers - I would cut them down to 8 teams and make it a meaningful competition 
    I like the idea, but playing three games in one day will drastically reduce revenue. It would mean that teams would only have one-third of home fixtures and tickets would need to be the same/not much more than current prices. As to whether a T20 crowd could last three games is another matter - both from the viewpoint of sitting still and the beer intake.
  • Options
    Having 2 T20 days in a day is perfectly possible, after all nobody things a 50 over match is too long. Especially if you speed things up, and cut down on the number of delays

Whether "home" fans would want to see 3 away teams, and a match involving 2 away teams is another matter. 
  • Options
    I like Atherton.  He's exactly the sort of player that we could do with now.

But his journalism leaves me cold.  He writes well, but often gets entrenched, and misses the point.

The issue is not about the management and coaching layer (although they could benefit from improvement) ... it's about the viability of the longer form of the game as we ride the waves of 'white ball' cricket.

Here's the issue, Mike:  One random picture.  It's a dying game ... and the kids aren't bothered.

• Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Off_it said:

Fuck Boycott. 

Not keeping his mouth shut . The bloke had nothing good to say about anyone but himself 
    That's because he was quite good at the very things which England are struggling with now.

So criticism is not allowed even if correct?  Hmmm.
    40 years tomorrow since Boycott played his last test .. 
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Off_it said:

Fuck Boycott. 

Not keeping his mouth shut . The bloke had nothing good to say about anyone but himself 
    That's because he was quite good at the very things which England are struggling with now.

Test average 47.72.

Strike rate - bugger all.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Off_it said:

Fuck Boycott. 

Test average 47.72.

Strike rate - bugger all.
    I never 'liked' him as a cricketer but always admired him .. as a pundit, I always found his interplay with 'Aggers' on TMS embarrassing and contrived .. Boycott has set himself up as a controversial know all, AND we've all fallen for it .. 
  • Options
    Of the few different people I’ve met who have had dealings with Boycott , played cricket, met him and  even played golf with him , to a man they all consider him a complete Cnut (not all used those words but with my limited artistic licence you get the picture ) 
  • Options
    There was an interesting Stephan Shemilt piece on he BBC website a couple of days ago in which he argues, among other things, that the issue isn't county cricket failing to produce potential test players but that players never seem to actually improve under the influence of the England coaching setup, and indeed often fall to bits. That's something I've heard off and on all my life, tales of cricketers having to leave England and go back to their county to put their batting game back together.

I don't think the emphasis on shot-playing can be blamed for all of it, either. All three of the top test sides (NZ, Aus & India) play a relatively attacking style of test cricket. It can work, if players have the underlying ability to judge when to play the attacking shot. That's a matter of confidence as well as ability, and confidence has often been an issue among England sides. Back in the 90s, the initial solution was as simple as appointing a captain who gave players a kicking if they accepted defeat instead of going down fighting. Nasser Hussain turned the attitude round and the results followed.
  • Options
    Some damning statistics/facts in this article

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59825697

For the fifth time in six tours, they have lost the urn at the earliest available opportunity, this time in record-breakingly swift fashion.

It took just 852.3 overs, the smallest quantity of cricket ever required for Australia to win the Ashes at home after a third Test lasting just 180 overs and four balls - also making this the earliest any team has ever lost a five-Test series.

England's openers finished with a collective tally of 14 ducks in 2021, a record by a frankly humiliating margin.

Over the previous 10 years of Test cricket, England's openers blobbed out 27 times in 121 matches, an average of one opener-duck per 4.5 Tests.

• Options
    There was an interesting Stephan Shemilt piece on he BBC website a couple of days ago in which he argues, among other things, that the issue isn't county cricket failing to produce potential test players but that players never seem to actually improve under the influence of the England coaching setup, and indeed often fall to bits. That's something I've heard off and on all my life, tales of cricketers having to leave England and go back to their county to put their batting game back together.

I don't think the emphasis on shot-playing can be blamed for all of it, either. All three of the top test sides (NZ, Aus & India) play a relatively attacking style of test cricket. It can work, if players have the underlying ability to judge when to play the attacking shot. That's a matter of confidence as well as ability, and confidence has often been an issue among England sides. Back in the 90s, the initial solution was as simple as appointing a captain who gave players a kicking if they accepted defeat instead of going down fighting. Nasser Hussain turned the attitude round and the results followed.
    I remember the England coaching in the mid 2000s nearly ruining Jimmy Anderson. Instead of learning his trade by playing lots of games for Lancashire, he was in the England setup, never playing and having his technique taken apart
  • Options
    Today's Times' says that Gary Kirsten is interested in taking the England coaching role and a shock, so is Justin Langer

Whoever gets the gig, Ed Smith or his like need to be reappointed to a selector/scout role to keep an eye out for emerging talent
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Has anyone that applied in the Oval ballot for England 2022 games heard anything yet?
    Website says entrants will be informed shortly.
    Ballot closed 12th November.
  • Options
    Today's Times' says that Gary Kirsten is interested in taking the England coaching role and a shock, so is Justin Langer

Whoever gets the gig, Ed Smith or his like need to be reappointed to a selector/scout role to keep an eye out for emerging talent
    This should immediately rule both of them out. The correct answer, when quizzed by the media about taking someone else's job is to remind said media that there isn't a vacancy. 

They may well out their names forward, but it undermines the incumbent if they're positioning themselves for his job. After all, I imagine they wouldn't want it to happen to them. 
  • Options

kirsten should've got the gig instead of silverwood - although i can see why they went for silverwood, you need to encourage successful english coaches... but when has that worked before? Moores was a disaster and looks like silverwood is going the same way.