Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Conor Washington on sacking of Nigel Adkins

13»

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    diplomatic by washington but a load of guff - it was the system and tactics that was killing the players -' the other stuff'  
    Serious question was the system and tactics significantly different to the same ones we used in the last ten games last season?

Were the systems and tactics used by Bowyer in the first 10 games (7 wins, 2 defeats and draw) that different in the next 26 games? 

I would love to know what exactly changed/went wrong in both cases because for two so different people to end up with exactly the same outcome, via completely different routes, is, well, unique.  On second thoughts maybe it isn't because Jose and OGS have both achieved the same thing. 

Not that unusual at all 'Ged' - i don't remember stockley playing up front on his own last season thats for sure - he had either washington, maatsen or aneke up with him. I  do remember loads of complaints when watson was plodding around under bowyer,  pratley had zero creativity and morgan ballooned everything over and wide, when he was actually switched on rather than daydreaming  - i also don't remember having 2 winger come forwards who didn't have to track back - they are now playing as wing backs - so under adkins this season, we seemed to combine the worst bits of the bowyer era to start with with no attacking intent / threat to then go the complete opposite and have a team of attackers / wingers / attacking midfielders with no defensive duties and a slow cdm  - a balance was always required and jackson has found that and thats what good football managers do - it was beyond adkins clearly   
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Washington is not capable of 1 in 3 goals. His finishing is easily his worst attribute. Glad he's in the side, as we're better with him, but he ain't a goal scorer
    Aged well…
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    diplomatic by washington but a load of guff - it was the system and tactics that was killing the players -' the other stuff'  
    Serious question was the system and tactics significantly different to the same ones we used in the last ten games last season?

Were the systems and tactics used by Bowyer in the first 10 games (7 wins, 2 defeats and draw) that different in the next 26 games? 

I would love to know what exactly changed/went wrong in both cases because for two so different people to end up with exactly the same outcome, via completely different routes, is, well, unique.  On second thoughts maybe it isn't because Jose and OGS have both achieved the same thing. 

Not that unusual at all 'Ged' - i don't remember stockley playing up front on his own last season thats for sure - he had either washington, maatsen or aneke up with him. I  do remember loads of complaints when watson was plodding around under bowyer,  pratley had zero creativity and morgan ballooned everything over and wide, when he was actually switched on rather than daydreaming  - i also don't remember having 2 winger come forwards who didn't have to track back - they are now playing as wing backs - so under adkins this season, we seemed to combine the worst bits of the bowyer era to start with with no attacking intent / threat to then go the complete opposite and have a team of attackers / wingers / attacking midfielders with no defensive duties and a slow cdm  - a balance was always required and jackson has found that and thats what good football managers do - it was beyond adkins clearly   
    I don't mind being wrong, I do mind reinventing history. 

How many games last seaosn, under Adkins, did Stockley start with Washington, Aneke or Maatsen in a two?  1 or 2?

Not sure why you would call me Ged when my stance, through out this, is Adkins had to got but I am convinced it's not all his fault.  Hardly a stance Ged would take is it?
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Washington is not capable of 1 in 3 goals. His finishing is easily his worst attribute. Glad he's in the side, as we're better with him, but he ain't a goal scorer
    Aged well…
     It did. Washington missed two sitters, he kept at it though and got the goal in the end. 

He admitted himself he scores in patches.
  • Options
    Good on him for believing in himself and risking the flying arms of Stockley if didn't score.
  • Options
    Knew himself he should have scored before he did hence his muted celebration but another hard working performance that helped get us a point.
  • Options
    Knew himself he should have scored before he did hence his muted celebration but another hard working performance that helped get us a point.
    Exactly he is a proper nuisance, if he was more clinical hw wouldn't be playing in League 1.  He epitomises the effort we showed tonight, take him out for a more lethal player and then we might not play as well.
  • Options
    I don't think we should let judgement pass on Washington's profligacy by feeling lucky he's not in the league above, if he could finish. Players improve over time and through coaching/training.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Good on him for believing in himself and risking the flying arms of Stockley if didn't score.
    This. I was really surprised he had the confidence to go for goal, given the chances he had missed. Or maybe it says more about the confidence he had in Stockers to finish the chance.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    I think tonight was the fourth or fifth one-on-one that Washington has fluffed this season. Good on him for getting the goal in the end but it's a woeful ratio.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Aged well…
    Typical Washington fashion he misses two glorious chances before scoring a beauty.

Was the 1 in 3 his goal to chance ratio? 😅
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:

How many games last seaosn, under Adkins, did Stockley start with Washington, Aneke or Maatsen in a two?  1 or 2?

Not sure why you would call me Ged when my stance, through out this, is Adkins had to got but I am convinced it's not all his fault.  Hardly a stance Ged would take is it?
    how many games? most - and no, it wasn't all adkins fault - it was ged's as well 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I think tonight was the fourth or fifth one-on-one that Washington has fluffed this season. Good on him for getting the goal in the end but it's a woeful ratio.
    To be fair he was pushed in the back just before he touched the ball and that gave the keeper a chance to smother it.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Aged well…
    Typical Washington fashion he misses two glorious chances before scoring a beauty.

The game last night was Washington in a nutshell really. Fluffs a couple of easy chances but then his effort and energy get him what looks like a hopeful crack and he buries it. Detractors say he missed some easier chances (which he did, in fairness), fans of his point out the goal he did score. Both have merit. 

That makes it 3 goals in 13 this season I think, so just behind the 1 in 3, mathematically.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Aged well…

The game last night was Washington in a nutshell really. Fluffs a couple of easy chances but then his effort and energy get him what looks like a hopeful crack and he buries it. Detractors say he missed some easier chances (which he did, in fairness), fans of his point out the goal he did score. Both have merit. 

That makes it 3 goals in 13 this season I think, so just behind the 1 in 3, mathematically.
    2 of them penalties though, so that makes 1 open play goal this season which is fewer than Lavelle has...
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Aged well…

Leko and Stockley up front, for me.  Washington runs the channels very well and links the play but his instinct for goal is distinctly average.  
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:

how many games? most - and no, it wasn't all adkins fault - it was ged's as well 
    Aneke started zero games last season, Washington started 3 and came off after 5 minutes in one of them.  So the answer is 2.  2 is not most. 
  • Options
    Watching Washington's header that he put into the keeper's arms, I do feel for him a bit. The ball looked like it was dipping down for a volley before Stockley jumped at it and knocked it back up again, meaning Washington had to switch to a header quickly and snatched at it. I wonder how different that chance might have been if Stockley had just let the ball go over him as he was never getting anything meaningful on that header anyway.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Chunes said:
    To be fair he was pushed in the back just before he touched the ball and that gave the keeper a chance to smother it.
    Just watched it back four times and I can't see that. It's just a poor touch. I'm not even sure what he was trying to accomplish with the attempt at a finish either. He just taps it to gently to the keeper's side when there's already a player back on the line. He should do a lot better in that situation, IMO.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    That's 1 in 4.33333 

I think he's a solid 1 in 3 at this level , just when he goes through I'm never expecting a finish ... he looks better than he actually is , to me 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:

Aneke started zero games last season, Washington started 3 and came off after 5 minutes in one of them.  So the answer is 2.  2 is not most. 
    You are correct, it's 2. Adkins almost exclusively started with a 4-3-3 last season, with two exceptions; the 3-5-2 against Accrington where Washington and Stockley started up front together and the 4-4-2 against Hull with the same. Weirdly, Washington was subbed for Aneke on 58 minutes in both of those games. Maatsen never once appeared in a front two, because that would be insane.
    Regarding your question about what was different to last season, the only major change is that Adkins almost exclusively went with both wingers inverted last season, and this year went with one on the left and a traditional winger on the right, which was slightly odd. He lined up with DJ on the left and Maatsen on the right a lot, and then Millar on the left as well. He did play DJ a bit on the right when Maatsen was injured but that was more due to lack of squad players he needed than choice. It's slightly odd that he didn't carry that on this season, but then I don't think he was provided with a single left footed winger this season. Plus it hardly completely changes the way we set up so it's not really a good excuse for him.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    thenewbie said:
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Aged well…

Leko and Stockley up front, for me.  Washington runs the channels very well and links the play but his instinct for goal is distinctly average.  
    But Washington running the channels is what makes the system work - and taking Leko out of his new "attacking wingback" position also weakens the system/team as a whole. 

It's not about the "best" players it's about setting up the team to play its best. Washington up front is working and I wouldn't change that until its not working any more. 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Aged well…

WhoScored has him at 2.1 Shots per goal 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:

and maatsen started at least 3 and i think johnny williams played off him a few times and aneke partnered him in at least a couple so if didn't start (another mistake), came on for whoever came off, one of which was washington after 5 i guess so we're up to about 8 or 9 - dj can't shoot for toffee so he never got a shot at it yet was gonna be playing right sided forward at the start of the season - crap system for league 1, wrong players - experiment over, thankfully.  
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    thenewbie said:
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Aged well…

Washington was on great form just before his injury after two minutes in Adkins first game. He had won MOM in his previous two games and was looking sharp and had scored a few goals.

I'm never over confident that Conor will make the correct decision when he see the goal posts.
    We are 3rd tier and Washington and Stockley are decent at this level.
    BUT they are not  Taylor and Grant and we will need a finisher to win the tight games because we can't rely on Jayden and Conor to get 3 great chances every match and convert one. You can have the debate until the cows come home but can Cafc create 8 clear cut chances every game and afford to miss six of them ? No against the better teams we won't. The problem is you pay big bucks for a goal scoring striker unless you play one of your own youngsters. Is Burstow or Kanu ready yet ? Probably not as Grant wasn't at 17 when he was thrown into the Championship.

Under Adkins on the first day of the season in that tight game against Sheff Wed, we did not have a shot on target at home yet Adkins was happy ? The alarm bells should have rang then for Thomas and Ged because to fill the stadium you win often and score goals and play on the front foot with a plan. Doing a tunnel jump after a 0-0 was on the agenda then. 25 clean sheets are only any good if you are scoring and winning 3 points.

When I was watching the 4-4 Rochdale match last season On Charlton TV Conor went around the keeper and hit the ball into the side netting. That is the last time I allowed Cafc to screw with my head and the coffee stains are nearly out the carpet now from my premature exhilaration.
  • Options
    I agree, if we had a Taylor, Grant or Aneke then the Rotherham game would have been buried. We don't have a forward who can just score from a sniff of a chance, or create his own (consistently), let alone one that buries most attempts at goal. That's where I think our focus needs to be for next season.