Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    Conor Washington was in a rich vein of form last season, was scoring a few goals and had been MOM in two straight games and typical Cafc he got injured after 2 minutes in Adkins first game so Nigel didn't get to see the best of Conor.
    His work rate is tremendous, But as Garrymanilow said above Conor is an average League 1 goal scorer who along with Stockley are great professionals but both will miss more chances than they score. That's why as a team we need to create a lot of chances in the 3rd tier.

The positive with Conor Washington is in a good League 1 team he is capable of 1 goal in 3 games. If Stockley and Lee can have a similar ratio then we will rise up the table especially with a defensive shape under JJ.

Only two games under JJ but it's different to night and day.
    That is not the stats of an average striker. It’s top end.
  • Options
    Conor Washington was in a rich vein of form last season, was scoring a few goals and had been MOM in two straight games and typical Cafc he got injured after 2 minutes in Adkins first game so Nigel didn't get to see the best of Conor.
    His work rate is tremendous, But as Garrymanilow said above Conor is an average League 1 goal scorer who along with Stockley are great professionals but both will miss more chances than they score. That's why as a team we need to create a lot of chances in the 3rd tier.

The positive with Conor Washington is in a good League 1 team he is capable of 1 goal in 3 games. If Stockley and Lee can have a similar ratio then we will rise up the table especially with a defensive shape under JJ.

I wouldn't say 1 in 3 (about 15 goals) was top end

Last season Clarke-Harris got 31, Wyke 25, Pigott and Yates 20
  • Options
    Diplomatic from Washington conisdering he wasn't rated by Adkins, which I found really strange. When you're struggling you should turn to your hard workers who give you a shift every week even if they're not necessarily your best footballers. Your Kishishev, Stuart and Andy Hughes types. Watson always got in under Adkins because he's a company man; wherever he goes he'll buy in and commit and I think that's why he got as much game time as he did under Adkins. He did as he was told, just very slowly. Washington is another who will run himself into the ground even if his finishing isn't quite good enough and I'm not surprised that him being back in and playing in his favoured position is coinciding with us returning to full pelt displays and some points coming in. It's hard not to like Conor
    Agreed, he's being generous to Adkins there. 
  • Options

And to have 3 of them... 

The problem with Washington is he isn't good enough in front of goal to play in a 2, unless the other person is a Mendonca or Bent.

I don't think Adkins didn't rate him, I think he had no idea how to get him in the team regularly.  He played him in a 2, on the left and right of a 3, as a 10.  I am not sure Bowyer ever really knew what to do with him either. 

I like Washington, a right footed Nelson, always gives 100%.  Even when some of his team mates weren't.  Hopefully he can stay fit and have a long run in the side, which he never really has had.  His contract is a key issue for me, if we want him to stay get it done before the season ends!
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Washington is not capable of 1 in 3 goals. His finishing is easily his worst attribute. Glad he's in the side, as we're better with him, but he ain't a goal scorer
    Got 11 in 36 games last season - pretty near 1 in 3?
    1 in 3 is a very capable striker. That’s my point. It’s not near average
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Washington is not capable of 1 in 3 goals. His finishing is easily his worst attribute. Glad he's in the side, as we're better with him, but he ain't a goal scorer
    I would agree - 1 in 3 is capable at this level.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Ok Croydon, Shooters and Cafc43v3r.

I have said Washington is an average striker in League 1 but if he played in a two up front in a Good side that creates chances then these are his states:

Peterborough 14/15 season 13 goals/40 
    Peterborough 15/16 season 10 goals/25
    Charlton   20/21 11 goals in 36 games.
    Conor spent more time outside the box running out wide for Cafc at times.

So Croydon you are wrong unless you want to be pedantic on percentages.

Posh probably played 3 up front in the area and created 10 chances a game in League 1 so Connor may of missed a hatful.

Just pointing out Washington can score about 1 in 3 in the Third tier and everyone can make their own mind if that is bog standard or top striker ratio.

Conor has a poor record in the championship.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Have to disagree on that and say 1 in 3 is bang average for a striker. We play 46 games in this league so one in three gives you a return of 15 goals.

League One Top Scorers - BBC Sport

The early pace setters on the link above are what you want in your team otherwise it is "average"
  • Options
    1 in 3 does include penalty duties, but his record from the spot is good so he has that role on merit. And when you consider everything else he brings as well as those goals, he's definitely a very good player at this level. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Have to disagree on that and say 1 in 3 is bang average for a striker. We play 46 games in this league so one in three gives you a return of 15 goals.

The early pace setters on the link above are what you want in your team otherwise it is "average"
    1 in 3 is capable but not outstanding at this level but you also have to look at the rest of their game. There are very few outstanding strikers at this level and the ones that are will move on.

• Options
    Good to read a player being honest about he and colleagues having to take responsibility for what went wrong.

As he says, they are the ones on the pitch.

"We got him in that situation, as well as other factors obviously. We’re the only ones in there that can change it whether a new gaffer came in or not. We’re the ones who go out there on that pitch."

I wonder what the "other factors" are in his opinion.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

1 in 3 is capable but not outstanding at this level but you also have to look at the rest of their game. There are very few outstanding strikers at this level and the ones that are will move on.

If you have 3 or 4 players in a team that can get 13-17 goals a season you can be successful, see Hull last season.  You won't ever get a consistent 20+ a season striker in league 1 because they won't be in league 1 consistently.    I think Marquees, Piggot and Wyke are about the only strikers in league 1 who have ever scored 20 plus goals in a season in league 1.  There maybe 1 or 2 others. 
  • Options
    Good to read a player being honest about he and colleagues having to take responsibility for what went wrong.

As he says, they are the ones on the pitch.

"We got him in that situation, as well as other factors obviously. We’re the only ones in there that can change it whether a new gaffer came in or not. We’re the ones who go out there on that pitch."

I wonder what the "other factors" are in his opinion.
    Not so obvious I would of thought to the average man in the street.  Did the journo ask him to elaborate on that comment I wonder.
  • Options
    As Washington says, Jackson has sparked them to play at a much higher intensity than under Adkins.

I'm still mulling over Sandgaard's assertion on Talksport the day after the sacking: "The players aren't fit". Many Lifers were saying the same; certainly we used to fade in the second half.

So, where has this new-found stamina come from, evinced against Sunderland and Donny?  Is it the psychological 'new manager bounce' - or are the players dropped by Jackson (Kirk, Morgan, Blackett-Taylor) the ones unfit?

• Options
    Playing in a completely different shape, with much more intensity

Those are pretty fundamental changes
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Croydon said:

If you have 3 or 4 players in a team that can get 13-17 goals a season you can be successful, see Hull last season.  You won't ever get a consistent 20+ a season striker in league 1 because they won't be in league 1 consistently.    I think Marquees, Piggot and Wyke are about the only strikers in league 1 who have ever scored 20 plus goals in a season in league 1.  There maybe 1 or 2 others. 

Joe Pigott was outstanding because he was in a struggling team.
    Only my opinion but I still believe if Grant and Taylor had played a full season together in our playoff promotion season they would have both scored about 25 goals each as even just with Taylor as a lone striker we hit 4 in a few matches late on. Finished 3rd with Grant leaving in Jan, surely 2nd was possible with him.

That is the catch 22, Stockley and Conor at their ages are playing in League 1 for a reason just Like Taylor is in the Championship and Grant has yo-yo between premier and Championship since leaving cafc.
  • Options
    As Washington says, Jackson has sparked them to play at a much higher intensity than under Adkins.

I'm still mulling over Sandgaard's assertion on Talksport the day after the sacking: "The players aren't fit". Many Lifers were saying the same; certainly we used to fade in the second half.

So, where has this new-found stamina come from, evinced against Sunderland and Donny?  Is it the psychological 'new manager bounce' - or are the players dropped by Jackson (Kirk, Morgan, Blackett-Taylor) the ones unfit?

I was one that was banging on how unfit they were under Adkins.  You can't make players fitter in 48 hours, it's impossible. 

The number of games where we looked dead on our feet before half time was shocking. 
  • Options
    His work rate is tremendous, But as Garrymanilow said above Conor is an average League 1 goal scorer who along with Stockley are great professionals but both will miss more chances than they score. That's why as a team we need to create a lot of chances in the 3rd tier. Under Adkins this season we were a poor team yet I always believed we had decent players at this level. No Aneke which I alway believed would mean we wouldn't improve on 7th ?
    I didn't and still don't want to be correct on this prediction. ( Not bragging but did say 7th at the beginning of last Season!)

Stockley has 17 goals in 32 starts and 6 sub appearances
  • Options
    His work rate is tremendous, But as Garrymanilow said above Conor is an average League 1 goal scorer who along with Stockley are great professionals but both will miss more chances than they score. That's why as a team we need to create a lot of chances in the 3rd tier. Under Adkins this season we were a poor team yet I always believed we had decent players at this level. No Aneke which I alway believed would mean we wouldn't improve on 7th ?
    I didn't and still don't want to be correct on this prediction. ( Not bragging but did say 7th at the beginning of last Season!)

Lee is currently on 3 goals in 11 games I believe, so also around the 1 in 3 mark for Charlton, though over his career it seems 1 in 4 or 5 is more typical. 
  • Options
    edited November 2021

If 3 players can hit 1 in 3 games and the "wingers" can chip in with goals, Leko at this low level could score 10 over a season depending on his position in the team.
    Gilbey 7 or 8 possibly if we play and create chances at a higher rate. DJ on song could score a few and cross like he did on Saturday then we will be fine despite not having a Championship striker in our team.
    Kirk, I reserve judgement until he can become a part of the team. CBT could be an asset off the bench for cameo roles against a tiring defence.

Stockley is as good as the service he receives. In League 1 even Josh Magennis could hit double figures in that Hull team.
    Believe he scored 10 for Cafc in League 1 ?

Jayden Stockley  playing in a two up front with some quality crosses and Lee, Gilbey, Conor supporting with Leko and Purrington helping as well would help Stockley be a  goal every 2.4 games in the 3rd tier. He will miss some sitters but 20 goals is possible.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    A proper Charlton player. He's like a slightly better Simon Church. At third tier level, he's definitely on my teamsheet and I can't understand why he didn't get more time under Adkins.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    A proper Charlton player. He's like a slightly better Simon Church. At third tier level, he's definitely on my teamsheet and I can't understand why he didn't get more time under Adkins.
    Style wise yes, but quality wise he's significantly better than old Churchinho ever was. Sadly that's not an especially high bar to clear but Washington is certainly a better striker of a ball and I personally feel he's got superior instincts - Church chased after the ball, Washington tries to get ahead of it - IMO. 
    Remember that Church played consistently at a higher level though.

Washington is better in league 1 than Church ever was in the championship....