Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Doncaster Rovers | Saturday 30th October 2021 | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Southbank said:
    ross1 said:
    No Gunter on the bench FA, I would be surprised. Otherwise always enjoy reading this article each week
    He wasn't on the bench last time out. 

To be honest I made no changes to the 18 apart from Pearce in for Lavelle, with Souare on the bench instead - Wouldnt be surprised if its one of him, Gunter or even Elewere that take that available space now. 
    Whatever we think about Elewere's contract position, we are down to 2 fit centre backs until January at least. Elewere has to be in the first team squad until that changes. Neither Purrington or Gunter have worked well at centre back and there are no other options to prevent a repeat of last season's defensive collapse when Inniss and Famewo got injured (except maybe Stockley doing a Cliff Holton). I doubt Pearce can play 2 games a week for long without gifting some goals/penalties.
    Agreed - let’s not forget about barker as well though - I’m told it was Adkins who said he was too short to be a centre back so if he can be / has been recalled then there is another option 
    So Adkins picked the under 18s last season?  I suppose he had the time if Roddy was picking the 1st team...... 
    Strange comment - I’d expect the first team manager to have a view on a player who had been part of the first team squad wouldn’t you ? It was why he next appeared at full back - some think he should be a CDM
    He certainly played at right back in the U18s for large parts of last season, even predating Adkins appointment. 

Your original comment suggests that it was Adkins decision, if my memory is right he actually started at right back in the first team and swapped with the OG Deji as Oshilaja was having a weston super. 
    adkins view was he was too short to be a centre back, which is what he was - that is all  
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Same team for me. Probably setting up as a diamond, although I’d be happier with the same system as last week. Elerewe hopefully on the bench.  

Head says win. Heart says 1-1. The result isn’t everything.
  • Options
    Struggling side, played 7 lost 7 on their travels, divisions lowest away scorers with just 2. They've been beaten 6-0 twice (Rotherham cup, Ipswich league). What could possibly go wrong?

Seriously though, we have to win this. I think we'll edge it 2-1. 
  • Options
    Did anyone else notice how much Purrington has bulked up and how much stronger he was in his challenges?

A: No but I did notice that it wasn't Pape Souare at left back which perhaps amounts to the same thing. Let's hope BP gers a run in the side now.

• Options
    After the bonus of an unexpected victory last week to day is massive. The mood will drop back down if we fail to win today. 
    Confident of another good performance and 3 points today to keep the confidence up going into a tough run of games over the next 3 weeks. 3-0 all day long
  • Options
    Did anyone catch Jacko's interview on Talksport?
    He was advertising a bogof deal on the recently announced clubs video messages
  • Options
    Any likelihood of a pitch inspection if this rain carries on until 3pm?
  • Options
    It’s not August 2013. The pitch will stand up to this bit of light drizzle 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Haha, history repeating itself? It's more than a little light drizzle here in Greenwich though.
  • Options
    Absolutely hammering it down in SE London atm. I assume they've got the covers on
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pitch inspection?
  • Options
    iIts ducking wet it’s fucking wet. Got woken up this morning here in Weatcombe park around 15 minutes walk from the ground by the rain hammering down. Started to dry out a bit now
  • Options
    For completely unrelated reasons, I am just going passed Donny on the a1 and it's biblical.  Game would be in serious doubt up here if this carries on. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Absolutely hammering it down in SE London atm. I assume they've got the covers on
    Signed umbrellas in the club shop?
  • Options
    Alwaysneil said:
    iIts ducking wet it’s fucking wet. Got woken up this morning here in Weatcombe park around 15 minutes walk from the ground by the rain hammering down. Started to dry out a bit now

Sorry to hear you're sleeping rough mate.
  • Options
    Today’s the day!

Heres hoping for a ‘clean sheet win’
  • Options
    2-1 Addicks
  • Options
    Celebrating my birthday today in the Club 1905 lounge. Looking for a good performance and hopefully 3 points to make it perfect. What could possibly go wrong? 
  • Options
    Anybody believe in coincidences? The day of the home play off semi final was the day after I had an operation on my right foot, today is the day after I had a minor operation on my right foot? I couldn’t go to the first game but am able to go today. 

Mind you shouldn’t have gone to the play off final, but decided I knew better than my consultant, so I went on crutches and the biggest bandage and boot anyone have every seen, just before half time we scored, and dome lad landed on my foot in celebration, felt so sorry for him as I rolled about in pain, and to be fair I shouldn’t really have gone, and he couldn’t been more apologetic. If I had listen to my consultant advice I might not have needed the operation yesterday 😀.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    I loved how the Donny players were frantically trying to get rid of the water whilst ours were standing around having a laugh and taking a breather.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2021
    delroofer said:
    Celebrating my birthday today in the Club 1905 lounge. Looking for a good performance and hopefully 3 points to make it perfect. What could possibly go wrong? 

They named it that in honour of your birthday? Have a good day.
  • Options
    Anybody believe in coincidences? The day of the home play off semi final was the day after I had an operation on my right foot, today is the day after I had a minor operation on my right foot? I couldn’t go to the first game but am able to go today. 

Mind you shouldn’t have gone to the play off final, but decided I knew better than my consultant, so I went on crutches and the biggest bandage and boot anyone have every seen, just before half time we scored, and dome lad landed on my foot in celebration, felt so sorry for him as I rolled about in pain, and to be fair I shouldn’t really have gone, and he couldn’t been more apologetic. If I had listen to my consultant advice I might not have needed the operation yesterday 😀.
    Let's hope it is indeed an omen Kerry. Good luck with the rehab and I'm sure you'd still be better than most at the crossbar challenge....

Enjoy the game coyr
  • Options
    The weather won't impact the game (being on, not the quality of course!).
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Watch that and I just loved Pratley. The passion and the fight...

I dont think Watson has been as bad as some have said but given the chance Id have kept Pratley.
    God, this is worse than that Queen thread
  • Options
    On the basis that all runs eventually come to an end, I’m slightly concerned about the fact that Donny have lost all 7 away games this season. That said, we can’t be too worried about a team with that sort of record, especially one with Joe Dodoo leading the line (he’s bound to score now).

The Donny journalist who Louis Mendes interviewed on Charlton Life said that the team are improving but are poor at converting their chances and lack a good defensive midfield player. Hopefully there’ll be room for Lee to create a bit of havoc between the lines and opportunities for Gilbey to find some space with late runs into the box.

This feels like a pivotal game in our season - a win will see us reach the giddy heights of 15 points from 15 games and could provide the platform for us to ease up into mid table by the turn of the year.
  • Options
    Hoping for a comfortable win today- with the high pressing urgency we saw last Saturday. COYR!!
  • Options
    Easy 2-0 this week 
  • Options
    Kips said:

Let's hope it is indeed an omen Kerry. Good luck with the rehab and I'm sure you'd still be better than most at the crossbar challenge....

Enjoy the game coyr
    Well we lost that play off leg, so maybe not a good omen
  • Options
    Same set up, Pearce in for Lavelle.

1-1 though in a tentative game.

Will probably be a goal fest now. 
  • Options
    I wonder if people ever look at the weather forecast. Yes, lots of rain this morning but clearing up by lunchtime & clear all afternoon.

As I type this there are blue skies over Swanley.

We can't use a postponement today when we are are 3-1 down.