Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sunderland vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 23rd October 2021 | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    ross1 said:
    The first from a shot off target 
    The second from a shot on target
    The third from a low cross (corner) put into a dangerous area with no chance for the keeper to claim it.

This proves that if you get the ball in the danger zone and shoot and run at the goal then you will get something. 
    The manager can change this group of players into a winning team with the right mentality. We would never win this game with Adkins as manager and may still not, but at least now we have a fighting chance.

• Options
    A must for Dobson to return IMO
    former players are always up for it against their old clubs 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    I’d love it if we won up there. Sunderland probably licking their lips at the thought of giving us a good shoeing but I would love it if our comeback started today. Can’t see I though. Free hit for Jacko. 
  • Options
    Just don’t concede early and I can see us nicking a point, 0-0.
  • Options
    4-1
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Come on Jacko - best of luck to him and the boys today - a win today and followed up with a win against donny and we will all be talking about playoffs again - it can happen - its football and things can turn round very fast - from having a team where you can't see where the next win is coming from to having a squad brimming with talent - 100% behind Jacko - this is his moment and i think he has the star quality to deliver.   
    This is very true I was talking to a mate yesterday who is a Leeds fan. He reminded me they finished 8th from bottom of the championship when Bielsa arrived and with basically the same players were in the premiership 2years later
  • Options
    We shouldn't expect much today as JJ was appointed Thursday, the team traveled Friday so he has had almost no time to impart his ideas
    Good luck JJ & JE 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Come on Jacko - best of luck to him and the boys today - a win today and followed up with a win against donny and we will all be talking about playoffs again - it can happen - its football and things can turn round very fast - from having a team where you can't see where the next win is coming from to having a squad brimming with talent - 100% behind Jacko - this is his moment and i think he has the star quality to deliver.   
    This is very true I was talking to a mate yesterday who is a Leeds fan. He reminded me they finished 8th from bottom of the championship when Bielsa arrived and with basically the same players were in the premiership 2years later
    Hmmm -maybe new ideas take time to take root....
  • Options
    I expect more of a performance from the team. But don’t expect a good result. 2-0 Sunderland. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We shouldn't expect much today as JJ was appointed Thursday, the team traveled Friday so he has had almost no time to impart his ideas
    Good luck JJ & JE 
    “Attack and put the ball in the net” 

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Any point / points out of this one would be a massive plus imo.

The players are going to have to work their nuts off to get something out of this, just as interested in the performance as the result, will the players be shattered after 20 - 30 minutes?
  • Options
    1StevieG said:
    I’d love it if we won up there. Sunderland probably licking their lips at the thought of giving us a good shoeing but I would love it if our comeback started today. Can’t see I though. Free hit for Jacko. 
    IT.IS.NOT.A.FREE.HIT.

Every game means something. Every game means points are at stake. A point here could mean the difference between relegation or survival. 

We will not get anything if we dont score. As defending is deemed on here to be our weakest link then let's turn it around. Attack them & try to out score them. 

THEY.CANT.SCORE.WHEN.YOU.ARE.IN.THIER.BOX.
    Alright, alright, calm down.

Btw, you spelt 'their' incorrectly.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Hmmm -maybe new ideas take time to take root....
    We need more than "ideas". We need the players to be - told what to do - forced to spend months practicing what they've been told to do (over and over again) - then go out and do what they've been told to do.

It's going to take months for any manager to sort this out.

Doesn't really matter who you pick or what formation you play if there are 11 headless chickens on the pitch.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:
    IT.IS.NOT.A.FREE.HIT.

Every game means something. Every game means points are at stake. A point here could mean the difference between relegation or survival. 

We will not get anything if we dont score. As defending is deemed on here to be our weakest link then let's turn it around. Attack them & try to out score them. 

I think you know what he means. 
  • Options
    Whats the news on Elliot Lee? nobody mentions him above so assuming its not good.
    Shhhh! Under the radar. Secret  weapon.

Don't tell Sunderland.

• Options
    _MrDick said:
    Can’t see us getting anything out of this. Our players just can’t defend 
    Curbs tells Jacko to go "back back to basics".

And get that "Nought-nought". :wink:

• Options
    "P'raps".

• Options
    Suddenly we are making out Sunderland are as good as Ipswich were before the season started! 

• Options
    Had a dream last night that we won 7-0 today so that's what I'm going with. Kirk scored the 7th.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:
    Suddenly we are making out Sunderland are as good as Ipswich were before the season started! 

To be fair they've got the results... Especially at home to back it up - Worth remembering they did get tonked at Portsmouth (4-0) so arent impregnable 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    1StevieG said:
    IT.IS.NOT.A.FREE.HIT.

Jacko himself stressed that the Sunderland game was not a free hit.
    I pointed this out to you yesterday.

DON'T.YOU.BOTHER.READING.MY.REPLIES.TO YOUR.POSTS. ?.?.?.  :smile:

• Options
    Hoping for a good performance I will add that whatever the odds are it must be worth a few quid on Mcgeady scoring ! It's the Charlton way obviously
  • Options
    BT Sport.Chelsea vs Norwich the audio is 51 secs ahead of the visuals. thought it was odd on the 1st goal, so I timed it on the 2nd. Is it me?

• Options
    Don't think there'll be much in the way of changes, Pearce and Watson in for some experience maybe, will expect to see the ball moved wide and plenty of crosses.

McGillivray
    Matthews Lavelle Pearce Purrington
                  Gilbey Watson Arter
          Washington Stockley Leko 

If he's allowed to go with his own ideas then who knows, probably a 442 and wing play.

Regardless, 2-0 loss.
  • Options
    But we have a good record against Sunderland and are maybe a bit of a boogie team for them. That counts for something. 
  • Options
    Don't think there'll be much in the way of changes, Pearce and Watson in for some experience maybe, will expect to see the ball moved wide and plenty of crosses.

McGillivray
    Matthews Lavelle Pearce Purrington
                  Gilbey Watson Arter
          Washington Stockley Leko 

If he's allowed to go with his own ideas then who knows, probably a 442 and wing play.

Regardless, 2-0 loss.
    You don't think there will be much in the way of changes but your propsed team contains 6 changes from the last match?
  • Options
    4-4-1-1. Pack the midfield with people who will get their foot in. 
  • Options
    1StevieG said:
    IT.IS.NOT.A.FREE.HIT.

Whilst I agree that every game matters, I can’t agree with your tactical suggestion. It reads like something my physics teacher said when he was forced to take the school football team. It’s not that simple is it.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    But we have a good record against Sunderland and are maybe a bit of a boogie team for them. That counts for something. 
    Don’t blame it on the ….