Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sunderland vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 23rd October 2021 | Match Preview

Sunderland vs Charlton Athletic
Saturday 23rd October 2021 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Darren Drysdale

Introduction
So ends another Managerial reign here at the Valley - Nigel Adkins so fond of the hobby has been advised to walk away by owner Thomas Sandgaard (albeit with the typical severance package no doubt). Its surely no surprise to anyone at the club, our form after all had been nose diving off Beachy Head... As always though we must now look to the future, and a trip to the now fashionable North East awaits, not that our next opponents will be enjoying what could be a resurgence up the road.

The Opposition
Name: Sunderland (2nd) | Manager: Lee Johnson
Ground: Stadium of Light
Previous Meeting: Sunderland 1-2 Charlton Athletic

Well what a baptism of fire for Johnnie Jackson, the pressure will be on this weekend for the club stalwart to continue his 100% winning record in charge of the dugout - Sunderland of course are the early pace setters this season, whilst they dont sit top of table, they're just a single point behind leaders: Plymouth Argyle, albeit with two games in hand.

Yet Sunderland fans have been here before, this is their fourth season in League One and once again a timely reminder that getting out of this Division the right way (let alone the wrong way) isnt as easy as it looks - Their fans could understandably be approaching this fixture sitting on their haunches rocking back and forth muttering: "Its happening again, its happening again" - After all, a top two spot looked certain last season, only for their season to unravel following defeat against the Addicks.

Unfortunately though it could be a tough ask for Charlton to achieve a repeat of that encounter from April - Sunderland have won all six home games this season, conceding on just three occasions (and never more than a goal per game) - Lee Johnson didnt get to spend much in the summer (despite new owners), yet the goals of Ross Stewart, nine this term already after just two in eleven last season is the one to watch out for.

Ideal when you have a ready made replacement when you lose your top scorer to Wigan.

Charlton Team News
Its basically crunch time for the Charlton players, we saw on Tuesday night that they have the fight at times to try and get a result - Despite being 3-1 against Accrington it looked at times as though they were taking matters into their own hands and ignoring instructions from the bench.

Jackson though has an opportunity to rebuff claims that he too should have departed the club given his responsibilities - Its a chance for him, and Jason Euell to stamp their own image into this squad and potentially by the end of it, have the job on a permanent basis - As Thomas Sandgaard aluded to yesterday though, squad fitness must improve for us to get out of this sticky predicament.

MacGillivray
Matthews - Lavelle - Pearce - Purrington
Leko - Arter - Gilbey - Kirk
Washington - Stockley

Substitutes Bench: Henderson - Famewo - Watson - Morgan - Davison - Jaiyesimi - Blackett-Taylor

Prediction
A new manager hopefully means that we'll see new results - Although this Saturday could potentially be seen as a free ticket for Jackson and Euell, at the very least we need to see that things are moving in the right direction ahead of a big clash with Doncaster Rovers. The stage we're at, even a narrow defeat could be seen as a bonus.

Comments

• Options
    The resurgence starts here... 1-2.
  • Options
    Dull 1-0 defeat `curbs and scotty upbeat and positive about the future 
  • Options
    Great preview as usual. I like the team. I think as good as we can do. I know Kirk may have not impressed but probably needs a fair crack rather than in and out. Confidence is such a big factor. Looking forward to JJs first game. Come on Charlton let's get a win.
  • Options
    This is exactly the team I would go for! Really looking forward to tomorrow now. I am heading to Newcastle for beers before the game. Look forward to seeing fellow Addicks up there.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Seeing as every time I've predicted us to win we've lost, I'll go 3-0 Sunderland.

Do worry we could get a hiding tomorrow. Lack of fitness against a team flying and unbeaten at home could be costly.
  • Options
    I can see Gilbey playing right side of midfield, and with Arter and Watson/Dobson in the middle, and Leko on the left.  He has to start Washington alongside Stockley...I'd go with Purrington (happy memories...), Matthews (as Gunter is crap!), and perm any two from Lavelle, Pearce, and Famewo.
  • Options
    Whats the news on Elliot Lee? nobody mentions him above so assuming its not good.
  • Options
    Here we go again. One crisis averted, roll on the next one. Tough game this and although I expect a bit of a bounce I don’t think it will be high enough to avoid a pretty comprehensive defeat. Sunderland 3 - Charlton 0
  • Options
    I'm considering this a free game for Jackson mainly because I think were going to get trounced.

5-1 home win 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anything positive is a bonus, huge task in taking anything from Sunderland but hopefully the players will respond, as good as Sunderland are nobody is unbeatable and if we could get in front the boys could find enough determination to take a point, 1-1.
  • Options
    Dull 1-0 defeat `curbs and scotty upbeat and positive about the future 
    When they were doing post match Tuesday I thought we had won 4-0 so many had a good game
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    All Change.

If JJ can instil the true Charlton grit into these players before kick off, then, I would not be surprised to see them beat Sunderland - you know Charlton! 

We are a bogey team for them. Let`s hope the home team will think they have won the game before they get off their coach.

Purchased the live stream for this one.

• Options
    Definitely need 2 defensive midfielders who can tackle in order to protect our shaky defenders and crappy goalkeeper. It won't be pretty but either Arter (if fit) and Watson or Dobson and Watson I am afraid. Then one winger, probably Leko to start, and Gilbey as 10. None of the front 2 options have worked very well so far but Stockley and Lee, if fit, or Washington.
  • Options
    Id go with either Harness or CM in goal

Right back.....neither are any good so select one
    Left back Purrington
    Centre backs Deji and Pearce
    Midfield Arter, Watson, Lee and Gilbey
    Forwards Washington and Davison

Id bring Stockley on for whichever of the forwards runs out of steam first
    then Leko, Lavelle, Dobson, Henderson,Morgan, CBT late on if we need him.

A solid if not dynamic lineup 442
  • Options
    edited October 2021
                                 MacGillivray (last chance) 

Matthews   Lavelle   Pearce   Purrington

Arter 

Dobson         Gilbey

Lee

Davison      Washington
  • Options
    Talal said:

Arter 

Dobson         Gilbey

Lee

Davison      Washington
    Correct answer 
  • Options
    Don’t see us going with 2 wingers, leaves us too open.

No expectations in terms of a result, but expecting to see a reaction and improved performance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    TEL said:

Left back Purrington

Leko is our best player & has to start.

Sadly I think we will be singing the 'Your nothing special...' song for most of the 2nd half whatever we do!
  • Options
    I don't think Jacko will go with that team FA, with 2 wingers, we'd be far too vulnerable defensively

I've been impressed with the job Johnson has done there, especially as they've spent far less than I was expecting. I didn't expect Ross Stewart to take over the goal scoring from Wyke so well, as his previous record is nothing special
  • Options
    Talal said:

Arter 

Dobson         Gilbey

Lee

Davison      Washington
    this please
  • Options
    TEL said:

Left back Purrington

Leko is our best player & has to start.

Sadly I think we will be singing the 'Your nothing special...' song for most of the 2nd half whatever we do!
    Leko played well last game but is equally capable of being ineffective the next. I've gone with Davison and Washington up front in mine but wouldn't be disappointed if it was Leko in place of one. 
  • Options
    I fancy us to sneak a win 
  • Options
    0-0 and a some passion and fight shown as the payers respond to Jackson and he does what he said he would in the pre-match interview, drag a result of them 
  • Options
    0-1. The Jackson impact to be shown straight away.
  • Options
    Can’t see us getting anything out of this. Our players just can’t defend 
  • Options
    don't think we will play two wingers, I'd like to see Davison up top and room for Dobson somewhere too.
  • Options
    I’d be surprised if Kirk is named within the starting eleven or even on the subs bench. The best position for him to play Kirk is left back at The Valley. I’m sure he will become good one day but not as we are trying to start afresh with different tactics and hard graft.