Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Paul Bacon

2»

Comments

• Can't recall a rasher player at Charlton.
  • edited October 2021
    I remember the evening game at Upton Park where Sunderland stuffed us 4-1 and Gabbiadini scored a 6 minute hat trick - Bacon was shocking in that game - he only made 17 appearances that season, incl 6 cup matches
    I remember that game so well - I took a girl from school - what a date for her! I know how to treat a lady. 

Are you still working as a teacher?
    No mate, sadly I got caught out when social media started up. And i can’t get within 200 yards of a school without this beeping thing going off - they told me it was a Fitbit, but I’m not so sure. 
  • Can't recall a rasher player at Charlton.
    I’m glad we have been rerinded of the player. 
  • I thought he was a crackling little player
  • If you or know anyone that has a subscription for 192.com you can find peoples address's there.I use it for Ancestry.
  • What was he, a Right Back or Lean Back?
  • Mostly a very composed footballer other than the odd rindless tackle
  • Derek1952 said:
    If you or know anyone that has a subscription for 192.com you can find peoples address's there.I use it for Ancestry.
    It's knowing if you got the right one is the problem. I looked on Facebook and I've got about 5 different Paul Bacon's with different mutual friends. None of those Paul Bacon's played for Charlton though 
  • Remember the Leicester game - en route to Hull U (not me)
    Really good Addicks fighting performance. Bacon was on the line and made a superb block/clearance against a background of       " things are only get better" 
  • Sponsored links:

• Talal said:
    His debut December '89 vs Palace in the full members cup (according to cafcfacts on twitter, I wouldn't have known!) 

That top would be nice on my coat hanger.
  • Talal said:
    His debut December '89 vs Palace in the full members cup (according to cafcfacts on twitter, I wouldn't have known!) 

@shirty5 is your man.
  • I remember the evening game at Upton Park where Sunderland stuffed us 4-1 and Gabbiadini scored a 6 minute hat trick - Bacon was shocking in that game - he only made 17 appearances that season, incl 6 cup matches
    This should be moved to the doesn’t sound true but is thread!!
    We had a lot of replays.
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    I remember the evening game at Upton Park where Sunderland stuffed us 4-1 and Gabbiadini scored a 6 minute hat trick - Bacon was shocking in that game - he only made 17 appearances that season, incl 6 cup matches
    This should be moved to the doesn’t sound true but is thread!!
    Yes - I did a double take when I read it in Home & Away !!!

But we made 4th round of FA Cup (beat Barnet, then went to a replay in round 4 losing to Sheff Utd), lost over 2 legs in round 1 to Norwich in Rumbelows Cup, and lost in round 1 of the Zenith Data Systems cup to Cambridge on penalties 

So actually, it was the usual crap Charlton cup campaign !!
    Norwich was round 2. We beat Fulham over 2 legs in round 1 and Bacon played in both games
    Jim Stannard had a nightmare for Fulham in the Charlton home leg. 
    His only appearance for us did not end well.
  • Killerjerrylee might not know where you are now and neither do I but I do know that you are in my worst ever charlton 11 (1982 - to date). Sorry Paul.
  • Gribbo said:
    Derek1952 said:
    If you or know anyone that has a subscription for 192.com you can find peoples address's there.I use it for Ancestry.
    It's knowing if you got the right one is the problem. I looked on Facebook and I've got about 5 different Paul Bacon's with different mutual friends. None of those Paul Bacon's played for Charlton though

Paul Darren Bacon narrows it down. 
  • edited October 2021
    Gribbo said:
    Derek1952 said:

A busy internet search suggests he lives in the Hockley area of Essex and went into flooring. He’s been the director of three companies.

• HandG said:
    Gribbo said:
    Derek1952 said:

A busy internet search suggests he lives in the Hockley area of Essex and went into flooring. He’s been the director of three companies.

The southern southall 😂
  • Paul Bacon was very good at development level and deserved to break through and be given a chance.
    Senior football was difficult for him though.
  • Sponsored links:

•   I think his brother was YTS in the Gillingham squad but never made an appearance.  

In that era I don't remember any of our youth team midfielders making it for us:  Pitcher succesfully converted to midfield for us but that was more after Bacon left.  We had a lot of senior pro experience in midfield, and there was a stark difference between his physicality and them.

Remember the Millwall away game, when we got tonked and Ben Thatcher scored one of his 2-3 league goals.  Everybody groaned when Paul was named in cm.  Yet for me that day he was our best player on the pitch, committed agressive and not over-run by the thug Alex Rae.  Unfortunately beforehand it must have been more than crushing, usually playing in an injury weakened Charlton team and being the target of derision from his own crowd.  By the Millwall game nearly everyone had formed a negative opinion of him and he never got much credit from the usual awful derby defeat for us.