Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Paul Bacon

Here is another one for you Charlton Life sleuths. I am looking for contact details or information about our former midfield player Paul Bacon, who played 33 league games for Charlton during the period 1989 to 1993. He was born in Forest Gate and after leaving the Valley played one season with Dagenham & Redbridge (1993-94). I have no idea what happened to him after that. Anybody know where he is now ?

Comments

• He would be in his fifties now. 
  • Lives in Hockley, Essex ? 
  • edited October 2021
    Boom said:
    Danepak’s your man for this one.

Or @paulbaconsarnie
  • Gribbo said:
    Boom said:

Or @paulbaconsarnie
    Or @RodneyCharltonTrotter
  • Boom said:
    Gribbo said:
    Boom said:

Or @paulbaconsarnie
    Or @RodneyCharltonTrotter
    Always thought he was called Dave
  • His debut December '89 vs Palace in the full members cup (according to cafcfacts on twitter, I wouldn't have known!) 

• Streaky does seem to have vanished. A pretty poor player, I recall
  • Sponsored links:

• wasn’t he the best of that bunch who made it to the Youth Cup final, but injuries took what made him a decent player away?  
  • Rothko said:
    wasn’t he the best of that bunch who made it to the Youth Cup final, but injuries took what made him a decent player away?  
    I thought it was more he is was very mature at 16, 17 and then everyone caught up.  I think it was Les Reed who had him at lewishall and said at 16 they thought he would play for England. 
  • Ross said:
    Talal said:
    His debut December '89 vs Palace in the full members cup (according to cafcfacts on twitter, I wouldn't have known!) 

I didn't know Kevin De Bruyne played for us...
    And that’s where the likeness stops.
  • Effectively Peter Garland (who joined in late 92) took his place in the squad, plus Pitch started playing more in midfield
  • I remember the evening game at Upton Park where Sunderland stuffed us 4-1 and Gabbiadini scored a 6 minute hat trick - Bacon was shocking in that game - he only made 17 appearances that season, incl 6 cup matches
  • edited October 2021
    I remember the evening game at Upton Park where Sunderland stuffed us 4-1 and Gabbiadini scored a 6 minute hat trick - Bacon was shocking in that game - he only made 17 appearances that season, incl 6 cup matches
    This should be moved to the doesn’t sound true but is thread!!
    Yes - I did a double take when I read it in Home & Away !!!

But we made 4th round of FA Cup (beat Barnet, then went to a replay in round 4 losing to Sheff Utd), lost over 2 legs in round 1 to Norwich in Rumbelows Cup, and lost in round 1 of the Zenith Data Systems cup to Cambridge on penalties 

So actually, it was the usual crap Charlton cup campaign !!
  • I remember the evening game at Upton Park where Sunderland stuffed us 4-1 and Gabbiadini scored a 6 minute hat trick - Bacon was shocking in that game - he only made 17 appearances that season, incl 6 cup matches

But we made 4th round of FA Cup (beat Barnet, then went to a replay in round 4 losing to Sheff Utd), lost over 2 legs in round 1 to Norwich in Rumbelows Cup, and lost in round 1 of the Zenith Data Systems cup to Cambridge on penalties 

But that was in the days of 2-legged games & replays. These days he might rack up 3 in the Pizza Trophy & a couple in the League & FA Cup
  • Sponsored links:

But that was in the days of 2-legged games & replays. These days he might rack up 3 in the Pizza Trophy & a couple in the League & FA Cup
    I don’t think he was good enough to even get into this current Lge 1 team !!!

@LargeAddick is right - wandering around aimlessly is my recollection of Bacon
  • edited October 2021
    I remember the evening game at Upton Park where Sunderland stuffed us 4-1 and Gabbiadini scored a 6 minute hat trick - Bacon was shocking in that game - he only made 17 appearances that season, incl 6 cup matches
    I remember that game so well - I took a girl from school - what a date for her! I know how to treat a lady. 

On the subject of Bacon, I remember him doing one good thing in a Charlton shirt - a clearance off the line away at Leicester in a 2-0 win. Bolder had a worldly that day. 
  • Hope the poor bugger doesn't get to read these assessments of his abilities.
  • Da11sp ricky_otto said:
    I remember that game so well - I took a girl from school - what a date for her! I know how to treat a lady. 

On the subject of Bacon, I remember him doing one good thing in a Charlton shirt - a clearance off the line away at Leicester in a 2-0 win. Bolder had a worldly that day. 
    Did you, errr, score after the game ?
  • Davo55 said:
    Hope the poor bugger doesn't get to read these assessments of his abilities.
    I'm sure he's aware of his limitations as a player 30 years ago, based on his lack of career since leaving us...

Norwich was round 2. We beat Fulham over 2 legs in round 1 and Bacon played in both games
  • JohnnyH2 said:

Norwich was round 2. We beat Fulham over 2 legs in round 1 and Bacon played in both games
    In that case the first edition of Home & Away has an error, as no mention of round 1 in it !!
  • JohnnyH2 said:

Jim Stannard had a nightmare for Fulham in the Charlton home leg. 
  • Da11sp ricky_otto said:

Did you, errr, score after the game ?
    She would have done absolutely anything if it meant never having to go to watch Charlton again.
  • JohnnyH2 said:

In that case the first edition of Home & Away has an error, as no mention of round 1 in it !!
    Error corrected in the 2nd edition - I will use that edition in future - apologies all