Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

electric bike advice needed

13»

Comments

• Options

Dazzler21 said:
    Real bikes are the way forward. Just sayin. 

Electric bikes are for the lazy or less mobile. They will not convert you to regular cycling. 
    Yes, well I’m not lazy and have two conventional bikes. But I am pushing 70, my wife is a fair bit younger and fit, and we live in a hilly area.looks a clear cut case to me. One day you will- hopefully- face the same issues
  • Options
    Sensei said:
    I didnt buy since last posting, since I just wasnt sure how to evaluate the various bikes I tried on very short tests. Instead I waited for our holiday on the German coast where I am now, and rented one for the entire two weeks. Overall, I’m sold. I clocked up 60kms today and no way could I have done that on my standard bike. It’s not hilly here at all but hell’s teeth it’s windy and the e-bike really helps that. I do have a couple of questions though..

- up here all the rented bikes have gears which are integrated in the hub of the rear wheel, whereas all the bikes I tried in Prague have traditional ( derailleur?) gears. What do people think about this?

- this bike is a real heavy tank. Ok it’s a rental bike, but I’m pushing 70 and always had a light frame. Anyone know any brands which turn out relatively lighter bikes? 

Hi Richard - Check out the British designed Gocycle
     https://gocycle.com/#intro 
    Lightweight, very stylish (F1 inspired) and desirable but sadly I'm too heavy to own one so have to rely upon my Tern Vectron.
    Like me it's overweight although solid and reliable.

That’s a very interesting idea, thank you! When I first opened it, I thought, no, that’s a city bike and I need one where I can go on trips with someone who has a conventional bike. Then I read the story of the guy using it for a 100mile run to test the battery.

I don’t really go off-road in the down and dirty sense but quite often I might be on a path in woodland that is not paved. Do you think it can put up with that from time to time?

Looks like they are available internationally, including Germany so that’s good. I wonder how easily it will be to get it serviced locally if it has so much that is new in the design…
  • Options
    They have changed the public hire bikes to electric in Brighton, I use them all the time and you still need to put some effort into cycling.
    Obvs, some bike snobs on here :)
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Electric bikes are for the lazy or less mobile. They will not convert you to regular cycling. 
    I dont think people want to be converted to regular cycling. Surely giving someone a boost is better than the. Not cycling at all ? 
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    They have changed the public hire bikes to electric in Brighton, I use them all the time and you still need to put some effort into cycling.
    Obvs, some bike snobs on here :)
    As a cyclist, anything that gets people on to bikes, whatever type of bike that is, is a good thing. There are definitely some snobs about though but anything that can get more people on the roads and to improve infrastructure and safety all round is a good thing.
  • Options
    Got one for sale if anyone’s interested?
    Only done about 400 miles.
    Top spec battery set.
    1.5kw Bafang motor.
    Capable of 30mph, should you wish.
  • Options
    R0TW said:
    Got one for sale if anyone’s interested?
    Only done about 400 miles.
    Top spec battery set.
    1.5kw Bafang motor.
    Capable of 30mph, should you wish.
    Pls inbox me the details & price. Ta
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Disagree!
    One mate, a regular cyclist, commuing, weekends and holidays, probably doing north of 6k miles a year and in his early 60s, bought one to help with his three times a week commute from Sevenoaks to Bermondsey.
    Another bought one to be continue to do a shorter commute - one direction up the North Downs and weekend rides, following leukaemia. 
    Neither lazy or irregular cyclists!