Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

electric bike advice needed

Comments

• Options
    iainment said:
    I bought my wife an electric bike in July as whilst she liked cycling she was struggling on the hills ! The first thing you notice is how heavy they are , too heavy for the roof of the car, now she’s out 2 or three times a week and only uses the electric assistance when she’s struggling! Personally I think it’s a brilliant bit of kit ! 
    Snap for my wife. She bought it to avoid getting sweaty on the way to work.
    I also think that they're brilliant for distances that are bit too far for the average person on a normal bike.
    I might get one when I'm older.

If you're sixty, go for it, and feel proud that you didn't give up cycling completely.
    I’m 66 and wouldn’t go for it. I’d feel ashamed if I need an electric bike because I was 60. Unless I had a serious health or fitness issue.
    I would say that being 60 or older is a health and fitness issue.
    Obviously not for you because you're great.
    I’m not great by a long chalk. I’m not particularly healthy or fit but I hate electric bikes being used by people who are fit and healthy enough not to need them.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    I bought my wife an electric bike in July as whilst she liked cycling she was struggling on the hills ! The first thing you notice is how heavy they are , too heavy for the roof of the car, now she’s out 2 or three times a week and only uses the electric assistance when she’s struggling! Personally I think it’s a brilliant bit of kit ! 
    I also think that they're brilliant for distances that are bit too far for the average person on a normal bike.

If you're sixty, go for it, and feel proud that you didn't give up cycling completely.
    I’m 66 and wouldn’t go for it. I’d feel ashamed if I need an electric bike because I was 60. Unless I had a serious health or fitness issue.
    I’m not great by a long chalk. I’m not particularly healthy or fit but I hate electric bikes being used by people who are fit and healthy enough not to need them.
    Jesus, have a word with yourself ffs.
    Someone has come on here and asked for advice about getting a bike.
    He has not asked to be judged for wanting to buy said bike.
    If you haven’t got anything of any benefit to add to this discussion about it, keep your mouth firmly shut please.

What is the matter with folk at the moment?
    I’ll submit all future posts to you for clearance then.
  • Options
    Wish id never mentioned it now
  • Options
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    iainment said:

Jesus, have a word with yourself ffs.
    Someone has come on here and asked for advice about getting a bike.
    He has not asked to be judged for wanting to buy said bike.
    If you haven’t got anything of any benefit to add to this discussion about it, keep your mouth firmly shut please.

What is the matter with folk at the moment?
    I’ll submit all future posts to you for clearance then.
    Grow up ffs
  • Options
    Had a go on an (expensive) Bianchi mountain ebike and it was flipping awesome...gave the pedals a little turn and sped off (it was in hooligan mode..)..  My neighbour has a Cannondale road bike that you wouldn't even notice was an ebike apart from the slightly larger downtube... I have no idea about what to get but would love to hear what you do get, as I think that they're brilliant and will be buying one at some point I'm sure.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carters comments above about the weight of the bike are interesting as the bike my neighbor bought is very light for an electric and all she does is off road mountain biking. Must be a big difference in models and I suppose its based on price as well.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    You could always look into a  mobility scooter Bert.
    Folk might be a bit more understanding.
    too late, Purchased,any advice on what puncture outfit to get, whats the one you use on your doll,any good ??
    If you don’t want punctures use Schwalbe Marathon plus tyres. Bombproof.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    clb74 said:
    too late, Purchased,any advice on what puncture outfit to get, whats the one you use on your doll,any good ??
    Me me, they chafe a bit
  • Options
    iainment said:
    clb74 said:
    iainment said:
    clb74 said:
    on order
  • Options
    anyone got any advice on purchasing a mens electric bike entry level,new or 2nd hand ??
    Get one with a very long lead…
  • Options
    Reviving this as more and more people are telling me its not a bad call. I live up a steep hill in a hilly city (The excuse the car lobby trots out here against more/proper cycle paths) and there's more evidence emerging that e-bikes are just as good for exercise, because those who have them are more likely to use them, for longer, and that's certainly how I'm starting to feel. And the fitness gap between my wife and I is starting to widen, and as a mate said, think of your e-bike like a golf handicap that levels things up.

I'd go for one with suspension, as around me there are a fair few wooded paths I use. Apart form the good tips above re the motors to look out for, any other tips re good brands in this field? And what sort of budget gets a decent bike that ticks those boxes?

Finally I'm very interested in the Schwalbe Marathon tyres mentioned above. What is the ride like with these tyres? 
  • Options
    I am looking to sell my electric Brompton.
    was a conversion so can do 20mph.
  • Options
    Seth, what sort of bike and how much? Probably not for me but you never know. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2022
    I will get back to you.
    It was originally a 3 gear standard Brompton, I had it converted by Electric Bikes of Cambridge, rechargeable battery in the bag which also has room for shopping.
    I also added tannus tyres to take away any worry about bad road surfaces and punctures.
    I will have to look at the fair price aspect of things, don't know where to start.
  • Options
    I’ve recently bought a Look E-675. Great if you’re looking for a road e-bike. Half price as it was a display model. It’s got me back on the bike after a knee injury. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Reviving this as more and more people are telling me its not a bad call. I live up a steep hill in a hilly city (The excuse the car lobby trots out here against more/proper cycle paths) and there's more evidence emerging that e-bikes are just as good for exercise, because those who have them are more likely to use them, for longer, and that's certainly how I'm starting to feel. And the fitness gap between my wife and I is starting to widen, and as a mate said, think of your e-bike like a golf handicap that levels things up.

I'd go for one with suspension, as around me there are a fair few wooded paths I use. Apart form the good tips above re the motors to look out for, any other tips re good brands in this field? And what sort of budget gets a decent bike that ticks those boxes?

Finally I'm very interested in the Schwalbe Marathon tyres mentioned above. What is the ride like with these tyres? 
    You could go for a gravel e-bike. Ribble are quite decent value. Quite a few manufacturers have one in their roster. They have bigger tyres which you can run soft for a comfortable ride on and off road. No need for suspension unless you’re heading into full on mountain bike territory. My Look has gravel tyres and I take it down gravel tow paths and wooded trails quite regularly. 

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Reviving this thread in hope, having been to a bike expo this morning and tried some for the first time. This thread seems to have been pretty anti up to now, whereas e-bikes locally seem to be taking off, and I'd rate the Czech cycling community generally as at least as committed to "exercise" as their British counterparts, so I wondered if there are now some more Lifers who are e-bike owners and have some general buying tips? I'm basically looking for a bike that will replace one of my two standard bikes which fall into the trekking category, so mainly on paved paths but OK to take on paths in the woods from time to time. The categories seem to be urban-trek-mountain, so I need something which is urban and trek -suitable. Bikes I tried were two in the £2k+ range, and one at £3k from a German brand called Cube. I didn't feel any big difference for the extra price on the short test, but my wife thought it looked like it was put together better with more of the bike protected from external crud that you'd pick up as soon as you go off road. Advice from e-bike owners much appreciated.  

• Options
    Reviving this thread in hope, having been to a bike expo this morning and tried some for the first time. This thread seems to have been pretty anti up to now, whereas e-bikes locally seem to be taking off, and I'd rate the Czech cycling community generally as at least as committed to "exercise" as their British counterparts, so I wondered if there are now some more Lifers who are e-bike owners and have some general buying tips? I'm basically looking for a bike that will replace one of my two standard bikes which fall into the trekking category, so mainly on paved paths but OK to take on paths in the woods from time to time. The categories seem to be urban-trek-mountain, so I need something which is urban and trek -suitable. Bikes I tried were two in the £2k+ range, and one at £3k from a German brand called Cube. I didn't feel any big difference for the extra price on the short test, but my wife thought it looked like it was put together better with more of the bike protected from external crud that you'd pick up as soon as you go off road. Advice from e-bike owners much appreciated.  

Bought the wife a Rad power bike. It’s heavy but folds. I bought it so she could come on my 30 milers here on Cape Cod. She likes it. The guy in my local shop who assembled it recommended Aventon bikes as well. 
  • Options
    @ct_addick You live on Cape Cod? That's pretty cool. Plymouth away is a local derby for you, then :) I suppose its an ideal place for an e-bike, flat but with pesky winds. I sound like I know the place but I just realised it was 20 years ago we were there.  :'(
  • Options
    I didnt buy since last posting, since I just wasnt sure how to evaluate the various bikes I tried on very short tests. Instead I waited for our holiday on the German coast where I am now, and rented one for the entire two weeks. Overall, I’m sold. I clocked up 60kms today and no way could I have done that on my standard bike. It’s not hilly here at all but hell’s teeth it’s windy and the e-bike really helps that. I do have a couple of questions though..

- up here all the rented bikes have gears which are integrated in the hub of the rear wheel, whereas all the bikes I tried in Prague have traditional ( derailleur?) gears. What do people think about this?

- this bike is a real heavy tank. Ok it’s a rental bike, but I’m pushing 70 and always had a light frame. Anyone know any brands which turn out relatively lighter bikes? 

• Options
    I didnt buy since last posting, since I just wasnt sure how to evaluate the various bikes I tried on very short tests. Instead I waited for our holiday on the German coast where I am now, and rented one for the entire two weeks. Overall, I’m sold. I clocked up 60kms today and no way could I have done that on my standard bike. It’s not hilly here at all but hell’s teeth it’s windy and the e-bike really helps that. I do have a couple of questions though..

- up here all the rented bikes have gears which are integrated in the hub of the rear wheel, whereas all the bikes I tried in Prague have traditional ( derailleur?) gears. What do people think about this?

- this bike is a real heavy tank. Ok it’s a rental bike, but I’m pushing 70 and always had a light frame. Anyone know any brands which turn out relatively lighter bikes? 

Hi Richard - Check out the British designed Gocycle
     https://gocycle.com/#intro 
    Lightweight, very stylish (F1 inspired) and desirable but sadly I'm too heavy to own one so have to rely upon my Tern Vectron.
    Like me it's overweight although solid and reliable.

• Options
    Depends - what purpose the cycling is for. E bikes are good for dealing with hills & strong winds. Also for encouraging people to cycle who may not or encouraging older / other people to cycle who may have an injury / disability. 

I prefer bicycles that can be maintained. Cheap e bikes from China are difficult to repair if any of the electronics stop working. 

Good to pay a bit more, for something that can be maintained or fixed. It is better for the environment too. 

Electric bicycles are limited to 17.5. As an experienced cyclist I would prefer them to go a bit faster than that but given that many hire e bike users are clueless & reckless in traffic that is probably wise. 

Van Moov bicycles are nice. They have a lock via phone & locator if you like / can cope with that kind of thing. The electronic lock can be overridden though, so not foolproof. They look quite stylish & comfortable to ride. 
  • Options
    Real bikes are the way forward. Just sayin. 

Electric bikes are for the lazy or less mobile. They will not convert you to regular cycling.