Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Fleetwood Town vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 2nd October 2021

edited October 2021 in General Charlton
And we all breathe a collective sigh of relief!

How much better did we look today? More changes to the side, but this resulted in a tighter performance. Harry Arter anchored the midfield effectively. GIlbey provided the forward impetus and gave a performance that really wound up the opposition and the Fleetwood supporters. The only issue, which is a big one, is that we still look vulnerable and capable of switching off and gifting the opposition unlikely goals at crucial times.

Leko opened the scoring with a brilliant long range strike. Stockley came on to provide the winning goal from a beautiful strike that forced the ball straight down the keepers throat from short range.

Big Craig Mac pulled off two top draw saves, the first kept us in it and the second preserved all three points. 

The Charlton fans that travelled up deserved that. They were brilliant from start to finish! Take a bow.

Fleetwood 1 Charlton 2

Comments

• Stay of execution for Smiler.

• phewwww ... good display and the fans were wonderful 
  • Fleetwood were terrified as all the clubs in this division are now. we're gonna piss this league. IT HAPPENS NOW!
  • Sponsored links:

• Thank God got that, a win at last.
  • Great, now let's carry in and build some moment - what's that? International break? Two weeks?!

*"#@##ing hell.
  • Listened on CTV, we actually sounded as though we were fairly solid during most of the match, Lee for me was MOM, he sounded involved in everything, Leko, Kirk and Arter were really involved as well. Mac in goal made some good saves, last one was point blank I think. Even Gunter sounded better. 
    2 week break now, but I have to say we need to get Dobson back (in place of Morgan) on the bench. He would have been a better option for Arter than Clare I think. However 3 points is really welcome, so now lets push on!!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2021
    Surely this has to be the first 11 to start  against Rotherham, prior to injuries of course. Keep that positive momentum going.! Up the Charlton 🔴⚪️
  • we had to win sooner or later .. a good performance .. does not yet mean Adkins should still be the manager, he is still on trial so far as I am concerned
  • Much better this afternoon, they played as a team compared with Tuesday night.

The opposition are still getting chances but was nice to see the players getting their bodies in front of efforts today.
    I wanted to put a Kenneth Williams picture on your post on the match thread, where you quoted’ I love Corey!!’😂…. Don’t we all!!. But I didn’t know how.
  • Start of with the positives:

Arter looked a complete different player than his last outing.

Gibley is quality and having him back is so good for us at both ends of the pitch.

We saw what a Kirk Soare partnership might look like.

Leko and Lee are probably to good for this league.

Gunter looked an improvement on Matthew’s.

Having the quality of CBT and Clare to bring on shows we have good strength in depth.

Stockley scored.

Negatives

We ended up making a game against what are probably one of the worst teams in the league difficult for ourselves.

We still look dodgy in turn overs of play, and still never seem to get the second ball.

Still worry how we would perform against a team who pressed us better than fleetwood
    we will find out in two weeks
  • Thought we would crumble after their goal, so pleased to see them keep fighting to the end. A hard injury time to watch but bodies on the line (literally) saved the day!
  • Phew. 
    Well done Nads and lads. 
    Almost out of the drop zone.