Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jimmy Greaves - RIP

Comments

• Options
    They just showed our World Cup Winning goal from behind the goal.
    The ball barely landed on the line, let alone all of the ball being over all the line.
    It wasn't even close to being a goal.
  • Options
    Just watched it what a great documentary and i loved the Saint and Greavsie show. Some lovely moments in his career.
  • Options

miles over
  • Options

miles over
    as was this...

• Options
    The ball barely landed on the line, let alone all of the ball being over all the line.

It wasn't the winning goal!!

I still rely on Sir Roger Hunt's reaction.
  • Options
    Greavsie ITV 23.05-00.50 Monday (now).
    Worth recording on +1 or watching on the ITV hub, loads of clips of his goals.
    Would encourage anyone who has any interest in the man to download the programme. Excellent watch.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

It was 2-2 when the goal/non goal made it 3-2, so I'd say it was the winning goal.
    The 4th goal was immaterial.

England's third goal has remained controversial ever since the match. According to the Laws of the Game the definition of a goal is when "the whole of the ball passes over the goal line".[9] English supporters cited the good position of the linesman and the statement of Roger Hunt, the nearest England player to the ball, who claimed it was a goal and that was why he wheeled away in celebration rather than attempting to tap the rebounding ball in. Modern studies using film analysis and computer simulation have shown that the whole ball never crossed the line – only 97% did. Both Duncan Gillies of the Visual Information Processing Group at Imperial College London and Ian Reid and Andrew Zisserman of the Department of Engineering Science at University of Oxford have stated that the ball would have needed to travel a further 18±4 cm to fully cross the line.[10] Some Germans cited possible bias of the Soviet linesman,[11] especially as the USSR had just been defeated in the semi-finals by West Germany.[12

• Options
    Who cares?
    It was given as a goal. We won.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:

It was 2-2 when the goal/non goal made it 3-2, so I'd say it was the winning goal.

England's third goal has remained controversial ever since the match. According to the Laws of the Game the definition of a goal is when "the whole of the ball passes over the goal line".[9] English supporters cited the good position of the linesman and the statement of Roger Hunt, the nearest England player to the ball, who claimed it was a goal and that was why he wheeled away in celebration rather than attempting to tap the rebounding ball in. Modern studies using film analysis and computer simulation have shown that the whole ball never crossed the line – only 97% did. Both Duncan Gillies of the Visual Information Processing Group at Imperial College London and Ian Reid and Andrew Zisserman of the Department of Engineering Science at University of Oxford have stated that the ball would have needed to travel a further 18±4 cm to fully cross the line.[10] Some Germans cited possible bias of the Soviet linesman,[11] especially as the USSR had just been defeated in the semi-finals by West Germany.[12

The fourth goal was immaterial?

Tell that to Kenneth Wolstenholme, Geoff Hurst and a 100,000 fans, some of whom were already on the pitch ;-)
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

The fourth goal was immaterial?

Tell that to Kenneth Wolstenholme, Geoff Hurst and a 100,000 fans, some of whom were already on the pitch ;-)
    It was the 3rd goal which made the difference though. The Germans wouldn't have sent everybody up for a equaliser without it, and would have probably settled for a replay - no penalties back then
  • Options
    Frank Lampard v Germany, they got one back.
  • Options

If only we had Greaves in a Charlton shirt back in 1963/64 we wouldn't have finished fourth below Leeds, Sunderland and Preston! He and Firmini up front would have been a sight to see.
  • Options

Peter Bonetti on the right, but who is player in white ??
  • Options
    Is it Bonetti, I thought it was Ray Clemence?
  • Options

This was Peter Reeves testimonial so a few stars played.

I thought it might have been Davy Jones from the Monkees but not convinced.
  • Options
    Hmmm I think you might be right
  • Options
    The face of the guy in white seems so familiar - I'm gonna kick myself when somebody identifies him.
    (Maybe he just bears a passing resemblance to Alan Smith of more recent Leeds fame)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    On twitter someone saying the keeper is Ed Stewpot Stewart
  • Options
    According to Home and Away it was vs West Ham - score 1-1 with 9,860 in attendance 
  • Options
    Found this on EBay 

• Options
    And also this on EBay 

• Options
    edited November 2021

Kevin Lock maybe?

• Options
    That is Ed Stewart the keeper.

The other player is not but so looks like Dave Hill from Slade
  • Options
    You would think any decent museum would have the answers to these pressing questions easily to hand 😉
  • Options
    Def not Ray Clemence...
  • Options
    I've found this photo of Ed Stewart (at Selhurst?). The same shirt, but different shorts

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133533087309?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338722076&toolid=10001
  • Options
    You would think any decent museum would have the answers to these pressing questions easily to hand 😉
    unfortunately we're indecent.