Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jimmy Greaves - RIP

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2021
    RIP Jim, legend. He never tried to burst the net but always tried to pass it in between the sticks, thanks for the memories.
  • Options
    RIP Jimmy
  • Options
    Saw him at the Bridge aged 18 - scored 5 against I think Wolves
    Just seemed to walk the ball into the net
    RIP
  • Options
    My boyhood hero.

RIP Jim.
  • Options
    The word legend is too often over used in football but it definitely applies to Jimmy RIP..what a player! 
  • Options
    Very sad. My boyhood hero. RIP Jimmy 😢
  • Options
    Very sad news. One of England's truly greatest players. Always felt sad for him in that Sir Alf never really favoured him in 66. RIP Jimmy.
  • Options
    RIP - aware of him through Saint & Greavsie from my childhood and then as I got older realised what a ridiculous scoring record he had.  Amazing number of goals in a career 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rest in peace Greavsie, used to properly make me laugh when I was a kid watching him on Saint and Greavsie 
  • Options
    One of my heroes. Loving the stories appearing online from old teammates. A true legend. RIP Jimmy
  • Options
    Just seen on sky that he did the qtr final draw for the 1992 rumbelows cup in Trump towers with president trump. I did not know that. “It’s some pad you have here” he said to trump at the conclusion 😂😂😂😂

RIP
  • Options
    Too young to have seen him play but his goalscoring record was insane. In his first senior season at Chelsea he scored 22 goals and he scored 30 goals or more 9 times in a season. Shearer and Henry combined managed that total 9 times between them!

Scored 44 in 57 games for England as well but the best stats of all are this on his wiki page:

"he made an impression at youth level, scoring 51 goals in the 1955–56 season and 122 goals in the 1956–57 season".

122 goals!! 
  • Options
    And watching back those old clips so good with either foot. I had forgotten that.
    Definitely a childhood hero, whichever team you supported just because he was a great great goalscorer.
  • Options
    RIP Jimmy

His scoring record speaks for itself as to how good he was.
  • Options
    What a player - RIP Greavsie
  • Options
    Incredibly upset at this. I loved him as a footballer. Him and Gilzean were magic to watch.

It’s a funny old game, as he said.

Thanks Jimmy football was made better because of you.
  • Options
    Found Glen Hoddle's observance about Greaves' awareness really interesting.

Heard Glen tell this story years ago, a great education to his young self, but to be fair he was smart enough to learn. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7CYquyJVpE&t=354s

• Options
    RIP Jimmy one of footballs true greats, he made scoring goals look ridiculously easy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Just looking at his stats, I hadn't realised how soon he finished his professional career. He was only 30 when he left Spurs, and 31 when he left West Ham when alcohol and lack of motivation ended his career prematurely

Despite that, his goal scoring stats are ridiculously good.
  • Options
    The greatest goal scorer ever to have played for England and a real character into the bargain, one of my big time heroes.
    Football has lost one of its favourite sons.
    RIP…..Jimmy…..RIP.
  • Options
    Played a lot of golf with Bobby Smith’s son who talks fondly of ‘Uncle Jimmy’s’ visits to their family home in the early 60s. Spoke very highly of Greaves as a person.

RIP, a true great.

• Options
    One of the greats. RIP Jimmy
  • Options
    RIP Jimmy, so very sad news.
    I believe that he made his debut for Chelsea as a 17-year old at
    White Hart Lane and scored in a 1-1 draw.
    Also scored on all his debut's for Spurs and West Ham.
    Our greatest ever goalscorer. Does anyone know if
    he ever played against us at the Valley?
  • Options
    RIP Jimmy, so very sad news.
    I believe that he made his debut for Chelsea as a 17-year old at
    White Hart Lane and scored in a 1-1 draw.
    Also scored on all his debut's for Spurs and West Ham.
    Our greatest ever goalscorer. Does anyone know if
    he ever played against us at the Valley?
    Think he also scored on his England and AC Milan debuts as well
  • Options
    I enjoyed reading his autobiography. As others have already said, that whilst he had his career before I was born the clips of his many goals show how fantastic he was and Saint and Greavsie was at a time (as Jimmy says in his book) when football was less serious. RIP.
  • Options

England’s greatest striker.

Enjoyed Saint & Greavsie (albeit less so after they criticised Carl Leaburn)

RIP

What did they say?
  • Options
    Greavsie ITV 23.05-00.50 Monday (now).
    Worth recording on +1 or watching on the ITV hub, loads of clips of his goals.