Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jacko and Euell?

Comments

• Options
    No thanks…let’s not go down the sentimental road. 
  • Options
    Not for me, the only time there's been fairly measured arguments around management have been the times we had the network boys, Slade, Robbo and now Adkins.

Put JJ and Euell in charge and it'll be like the Powell and Bowyer times where if they're sh!t you can't critise because "ThEy'Re PrOPeR ChArLtOn tHoUgH, iF yOu WaNt MaNaGeRs sAcKeD aFtEr 10 gAmEs sUpPoRt ChElSeA" 

They'll get 10 games longer than a 3rd party manager and I don't think we can afford that IF they're shite.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Not for me, the only time there's been fairly measured arguments around management have been the times we had the network boys, Slade, Robbo and now Adkins.

Put JJ and Euell in charge and it'll be like the Powell and Bowyer times where if they're sh!t you can't critise because "ThEy'Re PrOPeR ChArLtOn tHoUgH, iF yOu WaNt MaNaGeRs sAcKeD aFtEr 10 gAmEs sUpPoRt ChElSeA" 

They'll get 10 games longer than a 3rd party manager and I don't think we can afford that IF they're shite.
    The difference is Bowyer and Powell earned that support by winning promotion in their first full seasons.

If JJ and Euell takeover as caretakers and there’s no improvement they’re not going to last, we’ll be desperate to avoid a relegation battle.

It’s worth trying to see if Adkins is the issue and avoid rushing to appoint a permanent replacement.
  • Options
    Not for me. If Adkins goes we need to replace him with an experienced manager with an excellent track record. Someone like Adkins actually, and pray that this time we've got the right fella.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Nothing to do with sentiment.

If Chris Wilder not available then Johnnie Jackson and Jason Euell who aren't only highly qualified coaches but played 872 League matches in the 4 highest divisions of the Football pyrimid.

For Golfies Information, JJ and Jason haven't just came off of Hackney marshes.
  • Options
    Bob Peeters with Russell Slade as Director of Football
  • Options
    Btw, anyone who thinks Wilder would drop down to us is imo way off the mark.  So many things wrong with assuming we’d be able to get him, I don’t know where to start 
  • Options
    alangee said:
    Mark Bowen?
    Was he at Reading same time with Roddy.
  • Options
    What about Mike Duff?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:

The difference is Bowyer and Powell earned that support by winning promotion in their first full seasons.

If JJ and Euell takeover as caretakers and there’s no improvement they’re not going to last, we’ll be desperate to avoid a relegation battle.

It’s worth trying to see if Adkins is the issue and avoid rushing to appoint a permanent replacement.

True and fair enough.

I'm just fcked off with the constant rebuilding. 

😭
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    cabbles said:
    Btw, anyone who thinks Wilder would drop down to us is imo way off the mark.  So many things wrong with assuming we’d be able to get him, I don’t know where to start 

I would be amazed if Wilder would want to go to a Third tier side. Amazing just how close Duchatelet got to hiring Wilder just days before his boy hood club came calling. 
    He will reset his career in the Championship. We are becoming less appealing for Managers and players other than players in the Autumn of their careers or League 1 or lower standard players.

Can't see what's wrong with Coaches working their way up at a club but I guess do they copy their mentor or do they have ideas of their own.

• Options
     Our record of promoting from within isn't a bad one. 
  • Options
    cabbles said:

I would be amazed if Wilder would want to go to a Third tier side. Amazing just how close Duchatelet got to hiring Wilder just days before his boy hood club came calling. 
    He will reset his career in the Championship. We are becoming less appealing for Managers and players other than players in the Autumn of their careers or League 1 or lower standard players.

Can't see what's wrong with Coaches working their way up at a club but I guess do they copy their mentor or do they have ideas of their own.

Someone shared an interview with Wilder from 2 days ago, 48 minutes in he says he would consider clubs in L1.

https://youtu.be/ejRKhXoEiy8
  • Options
    Anyone else on here trying to convince themselves that League Two really is the new Championship?
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Scoham said:
    cabbles said:

Someone shared an interview with Wilder from 2 days ago, 48 minutes in he says he would consider clubs in L1.

https://youtu.be/ejRKhXoEiy8

Cheers Scoham, good to hear that as I was so into Chris Wider and his opinion on football tactics and formations in certain divisions on the way to a match on Saturday that I took the wrong turning !
    The fact that he believes that you should play two strikers up front in League 1 and Championship (my mantra) grabbed my attention.

A guy that would some times travel to United by public transport may be open to a challenge ?

I don't think even Charlton fans would try to put him off this time !!
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Anyone else on here trying to convince themselves that League Two really is the new Championship?

League 2 is a vibrant competitive division and the likes of Sutton and Harrogate are relishing the opportunity to test themselves in the 4th tier. Proper football fans who don't just support Premier teams that they only have a connection with on TV.

League 2 is the dream of teams like Bromley and is regarded as the Mecca for all non League teams with ambition.

Right that was my Professional sales pitch kicking in when back in the day I sold Sand to Dubai and coal to Newcastle.

For Charlton athletic League 2 would be a Fucking disaster.  :(

Edited Harrogate for Weymouth as the wonderful team from Dorset are in their second season in the National League.
  • Options
    Literally any success we've had in the last 25 years has been when an ex player is in charge. I don't know why that would be but that's a pretty long timeframe to suggest there's something in it 
  • Options
    Think personally adkins will have the next 2 games to not only take points but show some good play and improvement otherwise he surely has to go !!  i feel especially after what wilder has just said over the last couple of days we should go all out and show some serious ambition bringing him in if TS is serious about getting up anytime soon

he doesnt come across as a greedy gameplaying type and he was close to coming before so give him what he wants TS and get him in
  • Options
    If Adkins goes then we have to start with a clean slate, JJ and Euell would have to follow him out of the door...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redhenry said:
    If Adkins goes then we have to start with a clean slate, JJ and Euell would have to follow him out of the door...
    Agree with this. 

Feels like the old Bowyer team is still here and therefore Adkins hasn't been the breath of fresh air we needed. 

We need a complete gutting and restarting of the backroom staff. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    The constant Curbs clamouring is becoming ridiculous now.
    the fact that so many people are saying it suggests it isn't ridiculous
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    we've got a bloke sitting there who transformed us from what had become a joke of a club to a respected top level club - why wouldn't we try and get Curbishley on the payroll is the question, not why would we - might as well ditch him off charlton tv as well if people are so convinced the game has moved on so much - utter tripe - get him in as DOF and lets stop mucking about 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    cafctom said:
    No it doesn't. 
  • Options
    does  B)
  • Options
    If Adkins goes a big risk that Jacko and Jason will go with him. Would I want both as joint coaches a la Curbs & Gritt? No. Would I like to see Jacko or Jason as manager, definitely interested, but we are in such a shower of sh*te situation, I would hate one of our legends to take on the rookie manager mantle only to fall from grace in 6-9 months time if it becomes apparent that we are way off the play offs/competing in the top half. Would rather a more experienced manager and for one or both of the aforementioned to manage us in due course when the club is genuinely stabilised and a prospect for either to shine brightly with. 
  • Options
    If Adkins goes a big risk that Jacko and Jason will go with him. Would I want both as joint coaches a la Curbs & Gritt? No. Would I like to see Jacko or Jason as manager, definitely interested, but we are in such a shower of sh*te situation, I would hate one of our legends to take on the rookie manager mantle only to fall from grace in 6-9 months time if it becomes apparent that we are way off the play offs/competing in the top half. Would rather a more experienced manager and for one or both of the aforementioned to manage us in due course when the club is genuinely stabilised and a prospect for either to shine brightly with. 
    Get promoted and then put in a rookie manager when we are doing well? We are not here to help further their careers. IF one of them was to be given the opportunity, then it is exactly this situation.
    It will also be of benefit to them. If we bought them in now they could hardly mess it up. At worst things would remain the same.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    DOUCHER said:
    cafctom said:
    All it means is that we don’t have a fair degree of knowledge of the market for football managers, if people are still bringing up a name from literally 14+ years ago.

But then again I don’t expect everyone to know the comings and going’s at League One/League Two level or beyond. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Wilder said in his recent interview posted on YouTube he would listen to offers from League One clubs. 

“I’d NEVER Manage Sheffield Wednesday” | Chris Wilder Exclusive Interview - YouTube

48 minutes onwards.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Wilder was manager of newly promoted L2 club Northampton so not a surprise he we nearly got him . And Sheffield United were L1 then as well !

I also did another post when I mentioned about listening to Wilder on Radio 5 on Saturday and his comments about you should play two Strikers in League1 and the Championship. I thought he must've read my posts on CL !

Most managers will go to a Championship club before a League 1 club if they have a choice. Chris Wilder will have a choice in the coming weeks and months.