Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Energy Bills

Comments

• edited September 2021
    clive said:

Avro Energy and Green both collapsed on Wednesday afternoon, hours after the sector's regulator warned "well above" hundreds of thousands of customers will have to be moved to new suppliers.

Avro Energy has 580,000 customers while Green Supplier Limited has 250,000.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58652083

Yep we're with Utility Point who also went under and have been moved to EDF.
  • edited September 2021
    clive said:

Avro Energy and Green both collapsed on Wednesday afternoon, hours after the sector's regulator warned "well above" hundreds of thousands of customers will have to be moved to new suppliers.

I moved to Green recently. 🤬
    Me too…

Have only had one bill so far, but managed to get on to the website earlier to download that and details of existing credit.

Have also taken photos of current meter readings in case they’re of any use, now think just to got to wait to hear from whoever takes the account over.

Edit to add: Had a fair idea they were likely to be in trouble when they sent an email earlier in the week with a link to a petition to sack the Business Secretary.
    That didn’t seem like a good sign at the time!
  • I'm/was Avro - boo.
  • I'm/was Avro - boo.
    I've got a few spare candles if you need them.

• clb74 said:
    I'm/was Avro - boo.
    I've got a few spare candles if you need them.

Sounds like you need a tissue....
  • It's times like these when I'm glad we're off grid for mains gas!

Must be a nightmare for millions on the bread line.
  • bobmunro said:
    It's times like these when I'm glad we're off grid for mains gas!

Must be a nightmare for millions on the bread line.
    What do you use instead?
  • clive said:

Me too via “ Lookaftermybills.com 
  • What I don't understand is have the companies 'sold' energy in the form of a fixed rate that that hadn't forward bought. I know the Futures market involves buying the right to buy something at a fixed in the future. But how can energy firms agree a rate with customers for something they haven't actually bought/secured?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2021
    What I don't understand is have the companies 'sold' energy in the form of a fixed rate that that hadn't forward bought. I know the Futures market involves buying the right to buy something at a fixed in the future. But how can energy firms agree a rate with customers for something they haven't actually bought/secured?
    A bit like Life Assurance companies selling guaranteed annuity rates that were too high.
  • edited September 2021
    What I don't understand is have the companies 'sold' energy in the form of a fixed rate that that hadn't forward bought. I know the Futures market involves buying the right to buy something at a fixed in the future. But how can energy firms agree a rate with customers for something they haven't actually bought/secured?
    good question .. and that's why so many have gone bust owing millions, some after paying hefty salaries and dividends to the owners. Enron this ain't but there are questions that need looking into and answering by the quango (Ofgem, probably useless, and why not OfgeN ?) responsible for the oversight of the industry
  • Flipper is closing down, with insufficient choice of supplier to be able to offer value to its customers.
    I was using them and had done so happily for a quite a while but will have to do the research again periodically again myself now.
  • What I don't understand is have the companies 'sold' energy in the form of a fixed rate that that hadn't forward bought. I know the Futures market involves buying the right to buy something at a fixed in the future. But how can energy firms agree a rate with customers for something they haven't actually bought/secured?
    good question .. and that's why so many have gone bust owing millions, some after paying hefty salaries and dividends to the owners. Enron this ain't but there are questions that need looking into and answering by the quango (Ofgem, probably useless, and why not OfgeN ?) responsible) for the oversight of the industry
    The energy market in this country is not really regulated - it's pretty evident now how flawed the model is.
  • clive said:

I was more of a Waggy fan to be honest.
    good question .. and that's why so many have gone bust owing millions, some after paying hefty salaries and dividends to the owners. Enron this ain't but there are questions that need looking into and answering by the quango (Ofgem, probably useless, and why not OfgeN ?) responsible) for the oversight of the industry
    The energy market in this country is not really regulated - it's pretty evident now how flawed the model is.
    I blame that bloke called Sid...
    Tell him we’re going back to The Valley.
  • edited September 2021
    Glad I’ve got the security of British Gas atm.  
    Here’s a link if anyone wants to join.  Up to £100 each in Amazon vouchers.  😁

https://refer.britishgas.co.uk/richardh-447

If I see Sid, I’ll tell him. 
  • Sponsored links:

• IdleHans said:
    Just had an email from Octopus Energy advising that the Avro energy account is being moved there on a tariff that will be cheaper than anything the big 6 are offering and lower than any fixed tariff they are offering new customers on their own website.
    I have to say, very efficient.
    Ditto.
  • IdleHans said:
    Just had an email from Octopus Energy advising that the Avro energy account is being moved there on a tariff that will be cheaper than anything the big 6 are offering and lower than any fixed tariff they are offering new customers on their own website.
    Anyone who knows a bit about computers can send out a generic email to a table of customers in a database. Probably got an intern on to it1

Let's see what happens when they actually have to do something!
  • IdleHans said:
    Anyone who knows a bit about computers can send out a generic email to a table of customers in a database. Probably got an intern on to it1

Let's see what happens when they actually have to do something!
    I get that. What I meant was less than a week after Avro going tits up, Ofgem have allotted a new supplier who have a specific tariff and they've been in touch. I expected this to take 10-14 days, but I suppose they have had a bit of practice recently.
  • Just had an email from Shell energy, they are taking over from Green, don't know what tariff charges will be yet.
  • IdleHans said:
    Same here 
  • Ok I'm setting myself up to be shouted at here but maybe this advice might be of use to some people.

I got pissed off with the amount I was paying for electricity about a year ago. It was mental at over £600 a month and that is taking into account that I have solar panels.
    I bought 40kw of battery storage and went to a tariff called Agile from Octopus. It basically charges the batteries when the grid prices are low ( a bit like trading ) it sounds complicated but it isnt as it does it automatically if you have a smart meter. Over the last year my electricity bill has dropped amazingly as my batteries are charged overnight at an average of 4p kw believe it or not quite a few times I have actually been paid to draw electricity when the grid needed to dump surpluses.
    It was an investment of £12k but it will easily pay back within 2 years. For most people the investment would be as high as you wouldnt need as many batteries. Just advising people to have a look into it and future proof yourself
  • £600pm for electricity?
    You could runs a cannabis farm for less.
    I pay about £60pm for electricity and £60pm for gas (on average).
  • AndyG said:
    Ok I'm setting myself up to be shouted at here but maybe this advice might be of use to some people.

I got pissed off with the amount I was paying for electricity about a year ago. It was mental at over £600 a month and that is taking into account that I have solar panels.
    I bought 40kw of battery storage and went to a tariff called Agile from Octopus. It basically charges the batteries when the grid prices are low ( a bit like trading ) it sounds complicated but it isnt as it does it automatically if you have a smart meter. Over the last year my electricity bill has dropped amazingly as my batteries are charged overnight at an average of 4p kw believe it or not quite a few times I have actually been paid to draw electricity when the grid needed to dump surpluses.
    It was an investment of £12k but it will easily pay back within 2 years. For most people the investment would be as high as you wouldnt need as many batteries. Just advising people to have a look into it and future proof yourself
     'kin hell mate.

How big's your kettle?
  • Just had an email from Shell energy, they are taking over from Green, don't know what tariff charges will be yet.
    Same here.
  • AndyG said:
    Ok I'm setting myself up to be shouted at here but maybe this advice might be of use to some people.

Unless you live in a castle £600 a month for electricity (you never mentioned gas) is a huge amount. I kicked British Gas into touch because I was paying £150.00 a month and if you look above I do not live in a small house.