Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Energy Bills

Comments

• Options
    We are with EDF and when the contract was up for renewal in June, the standard tariff was cheaper than a fixed price online deal until June 2023, so we nearly opted for the standard tariff. Fortunately we decided that we would rather pay slightly more, but have the security that the price would be fixed for 2 years. I am so pleased that we decided to do that.

We are currently paying £159 per month for a 2 bedroom detached bungalow and I know that it is high, but it is a rented property with almost no loft insulation, except a few granules of something and a very old boiler. Have recently had a property inspection and have asked about some loft insulation, so will see what happens. 
  • Options
    I’ve submitted my meter readings to BGas for my electric and gas for the past six months since the last meter reading. I’m £282 in credit (summer usage, air con obviously not as expensive as central heating) as a result of my regular £224 pm DDs and they’ve just sent me a message saying that DD figure is likely to mean I’ll end up in arrears…
    £224??? What is it a hotel? 
    I hope so, that is a serious amount to be paying monthly

You clearly haven’t got that many females in your house then. Or air con, wine cooler, American fridge et etc, hairdryers, curling tongs, TVs all over the house that are just left on because they are moving from room to room, as are lights - sitting in the kitchen at the moment I’ve just counted 27 lightbulbs (not including ones on appliances)  in here that will often all be switched on (obviously not just now because I’m the only one up), a dishwasher that gets used 4 or 5 times a day because somebody is always cooking or baking…it all adds up. Per person it probably isn’t necessarily that bad, though only one person pays the bills. TBF, working from home and the lockdowns have had an impact on the bills.
    I have all the above and more and your paying £120 a month more than me . That seems ridiculously high.
    Hot baths and long showers tend to outweigh things like light bulb / TVs which are pretty efficient these days. Four  or five people in a household have a couple of showers is significant!
  • Options
    I'm in the £30 per month club! Living the frugal life in a one bedroom flat. 
  • Options
    I'm with Octopus Energy, have been for a few years.

In light of what's going on in the marketplace, and the fact my deal is due to end soon, i phoned them up to ask about going onto a fixed deal.

They quoted a 2 year fixed that would work out 50 odd per cent higher (£1685) than i'm currently paying a year,  if i did nothing , then at current rates ( unless they move again) it would cost me just over 10 per cent more.

My annual usage is :

Gas - 63281kwh 

Electric - 7640 kwh 

I've had a look on Money supermarket , but look like a lot of deals have been taken down at the moment.

• Options
    I pay £105pm for gas and electric with BG. 3 storey townhouse, 4 beds & 3 teenagers. All have tech & games consoles & 2 have ceiling fans which are on most days as the top floor where the bedrooms are is quite warm, even in late September. We have a smart meter and I can see daily the consumption of both gas & electric. 
    for how long does this deal last ?
  • Options
    Have my electricity with Bulb - curious if they will survive?
  • Options
    Just about to buy a house and move out of my parents place....  Am a bit worried about all this! It'll just be my partner any myself, no kids or anyone else moving in. It's a 2 bed terraced house, can anyone give me an estimate of how much I should look to budget for energy and gas usage?
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Wilma said:
    I'm in the £30 per month club! Living the frugal life in a one bedroom flat. 
    I was on £35/month for a one-bed flat before I started working from home (at night) and the price rises kicked in.

Have my electricity with Bulb - curious if they will survive?

Same here, they don't look in a good way. Shame, because they were pretty good (and the first company whose estimated bills didn't take the piss, which may have been their problem..).
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Croydon said:
    My current tariff with EDF is about to finish, so just shopping around. I currently pay about £30 a month for Gas and Electric.

Can move to Eon Next for about £4 more per month on a 12 month fixed, or £8 more for 24 months. Some of the prices quoted by other firms are very steep in comparison.
    £30 a month for gas AND electric? What do you live in, a dolls house?
    Surely a typo, must have missed another number off, either that or I’m moving in!
    My bill for August was £25.03! New tariff with Eon is £37 p/m

It's a 2 bed flat, with only 2 of us in there. EPC rating A.
  • Options
    Just about to buy a house and move out of my parents place....  Am a bit worried about all this! It'll just be my partner any myself, no kids or anyone else moving in. It's a 2 bed terraced house, can anyone give me an estimate of how much I should look to budget for energy and gas usage?
    £100pm at a guess.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am with EDF and my timing is impeccable. My contract runs out at the end of October and I am looking at an increase of £75.00 Per month for a family of five.
    USwitch did not have much to offer and it was no cheaper. The person I spoke to said hang on for a bit as some new tariffs will be coming out soon. Surely no one in the marketplace is going to come up with a competitive price are they, what do you guys think?
    When the price rise kicks in me and the missus are going to spend all day in the library. The problem is I have not told her yet!
  • Options
    pettgra said:
    I am with EDF and my timing is impeccable. My contract runs out at the end of October and I am looking at an increase of £75.00 Per month for a family of five.
    USwitch did not have much to offer and it was no cheaper. The person I spoke to said hang on for a bit as some new tariffs will be coming out soon. Surely no one in the marketplace is going to come up with a competitive price are they, what do you guys think?
    When the price rise kicks in me and the missus are going to spend all day in the library. The problem is I have not told her yet!
    I did a pretty comprehensive set of comparisons yesterday .. whoever you choose on a dual fuel contract, the price rise will be steep .. I went back to EDF from Eon .. many of the smaller companies like Octopus and Bulb came out more expensive than the bigger, more established outfits .. I reckon we are stuck with high prices for a long time, wholesale gas to pay for as well as windmill maintenance.

Giant gas fields have been discovered off the Greek and Turkish coasts, especially around Cyprus .. BUT, will this resource ever be exploited given the current global warming situation. Anyone coming up with a viable carbon neutralising, 'air scrubbing' technology is going to change the world
  • Options
    pettgra said:
    I did a pretty comprehensive set of comparisons yesterday .. whoever you choose on a dual fuel contract, the price rise will be steep .. I went back to EDF from Eon .. many of the smaller companies like Octopus and Bulb came out more expensive than the bigger, more established outfits .. I reckon we are stuck with high prices for a long time, wholesale gas to pay for as well as windmill maintenance.

Giant gas fields have been discovered off the Greek and Turkish coasts, especially around Cyprus .. BUT, will this resource ever be exploited given the current global warming situation. Anyone coming up with a viable carbon neutralising, 'air scrubbing' technology is going to change the world
    Thankyou for this. Methinks this is not a time for dithering.
  • Options
    Been on the MultiVit 4G for last month or so. Does a job, but not as good as the Speed though
  • Options
    Sorry, thought you said Energy Pills
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    pettgra said:
    pettgra said:

Incidentally, my new contract was a steep 40% increase over the Eon deal, but any price rise would have been at least 30% for a year deal, my new deal is for three years, so guaranteed unit and fixed cost until October 2024 .. last but not least, 'smart meter'  .. the majority of firms now include the need to install one in the small print .. I don't want one .. phoned EDF, quarter of an hour wait, then through to a very efficient young man who marked me down as a 'no smart meter' customer .. I reckon they are flexible, though not on price, as the competition for business is cutthroat 

• Options
    The expert being interviewed on the radio this morning was asked if the customer of a failed company would get the same deal from their new supplier. He said absolutely NOT.. ! In some cases the cheap deal they with the company is what caused it’s demise. Customers being passed to. New supplier will be offered the current deals from that suppliers range on offer. 
    yes but you are then free to switch elsewhere without charge.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    The expert being interviewed on the radio this morning was asked if the customer of a failed company would get the same deal from their new supplier. He said absolutely NOT.. ! In some cases the cheap deal they with the company is what caused it’s demise. Customers being passed to. New supplier will be offered the current deals from that suppliers range on offer. 
    yes but you are then free to switch elsewhere without charge.
    Yes, but the point being, you will never find or replicate that cheap deal that the smaller companies were offering. An if in next few weeks may well have to consider some of the highest priced fix deals ever offered. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    pettgra said:
    pettgra said:

Prices are expected to continue to rise. 
  • Options
    pettgra said:
    pettgra said:

Try money savings expert rather than Uswitch
  • Options
    I’m on BG Standard tariffs for both gas and electricity, have smart meters fitted by them and paid last year 2k all but a few pounds. I had to look this up on my account I haven’t a clue if this good or not. Basically I’m the lazy customer that companies love. 
    I have, however, 11 inches of insulation in the loft, the cavity walls filled, A+ rated windows doors, thermostats on the rads, a new condescending boiler and LED lighting in every room. 
    I probably should of paid more attention to money as I do this typically with all bills and always have. 
  • Options
    Cheers guys thanks for all the info. 

• Options
    I’m on BG Standard tariffs for both gas and electricity, have smart meters fitted by them and paid last year 2k all but a few pounds. I had to look this up on my account I haven’t a clue if this good or not. Basically I’m the lazy customer that companies love. 
    I have, however, 11 inches of insulation in the loft, the cavity walls filled, A+ rated windows doors, thermostats on the rads, a new condescending boiler and LED lighting in every room. 
    I probably should of paid more attention to money as I do this typically with all bills and always have. 
    11 inches of loft insulation you say charltonkeston, that will get you a slot on the M25 protests!
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Huskaris said:
    Nothing worse than a boiler you spend thousands on that just sits there patronising you. 
    I was going to edit that after you pointed that out but I like the idea of a condescending boiler.
    Bloody auto spell :-) 
  • Options

Avro Energy and Green both collapsed on Wednesday afternoon, hours after the sector's regulator warned "well above" hundreds of thousands of customers will have to be moved to new suppliers.

Avro Energy has 580,000 customers while Green Supplier Limited has 250,000.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58652083

• Options
    They said on the news the other night there were 55 energy suppliers in the Uk, that could go down to 11.
  • Options
    clive said:

Avro Energy and Green both collapsed on Wednesday afternoon, hours after the sector's regulator warned "well above" hundreds of thousands of customers will have to be moved to new suppliers.

Avro Energy has 580,000 customers while Green Supplier Limited has 250,000.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58652083

I moved to Green recently. 🤬