Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Energy Bills

Comments

• Options
    Someone's got to pay the bill.

"May 2022, the average wholesale electricity price in France stood at 197.5 euros per megawatt-hour, an increase of roughly 257 percent compared to the same month a year prior. March 2022 saw the peak electricity price in the period of consideration, at more than 295 euros per megawatt-hour. In the past year, electricity prices in France soared, the consequence of an 
    energy supply shortage which severely impacted Europe."
    Statista

• Options
    France's energy price cap has been extended to the end of this year, Prime Minister Élisabeth Borne announced yesterday (June 23). The bouclier tarifaire, first introduced in November last year, froze gas prices at October 2021 rates and also limited electricity prices from increasing by more than 4%.
  • Options
    As I say, someone's got to pay the bill 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    MrWalker said:
    Someone's got to pay the bill.

"May 2022, the average wholesale electricity price in France stood at 197.5 euros per megawatt-hour, an increase of roughly 257 percent compared to the same month a year prior. March 2022 saw the peak electricity price in the period of consideration, at more than 295 euros per megawatt-hour. In the past year, electricity prices in France soared, the consequence of an energy supply shortage which severely impacted Europe."
    Statista

Won't be too dissimilar to what we've seen here.

I'm all for renewable energy, but let me tell you when the wind ain't blowing that's when the grid balancers cheque books start to come out to get the less environmentally accepted assets up and running to get them out of the shit.
    We are heavily reliant on wind energy in this country now
  • Options
    Well if people can't afford holidays at least it will solve the traffic chaos in Dover and Folkstone. Every cloud has a silver lining
  • Options
    Ross said:
    the gas flame under that frying pan looks much too high .. waste of energy and a risk of burnt pancakes .. turn it DOWN !!
  • Options
    I think a big problem was that there were too many operators. Let's be honest, when you change from one provider to another, the gas/electricity comes from the same place. We are paying for discounted prices from companies that have gone bust. This is an industry that needs to be run by one provider for the public and the environment not many providers for the shareholders. Call me a marxist :)
    All the utilities should have remained nationalised and run by the state. We now have private companies making huge profits whilst ordinary people suffer. I used to think that privatisation was a good thing, but it's clear now that privatising the utilities has been very bad for the average person.
    It is the same for all privatised businesses,Railways,Water companies,massive pay deals for the fat cats who run them,dividends for the share holders,all at our expense.Look at the profits for Shell and Centrica just announced,more money for the snought in the trough brigade.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Martin Lewis saying lot of people are thinking of boycotting paying there bill.

• Options

The only people that will be hurt are the individuals themselves. Fines & CCJ's dont look good on your credit file. Then again, people like that dont worry about credit or needing a mortgage.
  • Options
    With the update from Martin Lewis yesterday, enough’s enough. Utilities need to be brought back into public control. We’re currently funding massive profits for international corporates, including the likes of EDF, which all go to help soften burden in their home countries. Public transport, particularly railways, the same. Rolling stock companies particularly are taking the piss out of the system.  

I honestly do think there will be civil unrest over this over the winter, with over 10 million people expected to now be in fuel poverty. 
  • Options
    edited July 2022

https://dontpay.uk/
  • Options

And a lot of people won't be able to pay their bill.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    MrWalker said:
    As I say, someone's got to pay the bill 
    With for example Shell Energy reporting £10 billion profits in the first quarter perhaps “the bill” should be a little less unequally divided. 
  • Options
    edited July 2022

I think a critical mass of people will also stop paying their rents and mortgages this winter too. The resulting effects on the rest of the economy will an eye opener.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    It’s a bizarre scenario I’m finding myself in. I have smart meters for both gas and electricity. I’m still 13 months away from my fixed price deal ending. Yesterday Shell e mailed me to say that based on my consumption and projection for next 13 months, my direct debit was reducing from £167 per month to £141 per month. All good. What I’d really prefer to do is continue paying £167 for the remainder of the contract and build up some credit which might take some of the sting out of what’s going to hit me in 13 months. Apparently that’s not doable. 
  • Options
    Ought to stop paying tv license too. I don’t hardly ever watch bbc England womens match the other day must be the first time I’ve watch bbc since the World Cup. 
  • Options
    It’s a bizarre scenario I’m finding myself in. I have smart meters for both gas and electricity. I’m still 13 months away from my fixed price deal ending. Yesterday Shell e mailed me to say that based on my consumption and projection for next 13 months, my direct debit was reducing from £167 per month to £141 per month. All good. What I’d really prefer to do is continue paying £167 for the remainder of the contract and build up some credit which might take some of the sting out of what’s going to hit me in 13 months. Apparently that’s not doable. 
    I believe a recent law/directive instructed power providers to refund any surplus cash after a bill was calculated .. I got a welcome £75 ish repayment last month, some consolation for the vastly increased monthly payment, even though I'm on a good deal with Edf until October 2024 .. good that is compared to being subject to the fluctuating tariffs 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    can some one explain to me why prices are going up, when large companies are making record profits? Surely the opposite would be true - their profits would be going down, forcing them to raise the price? What's going on? Some one explain like i'm 5.
  • Options
    can some one explain to me why prices are going up, when large companies are making record profits? Surely the opposite would be true - their profits would be going down, forcing them to raise the price? What's going on? Some one explain like i'm 5.
    Rich bastards have found an excuse to get richer
  • Options
    I skimmed over an article earlier that said they aren't making huge profits from wholesale energy/gas prices and are, in fact, seeing huge profits from exploratory work (or somesuch). Can I find the article now? Nope.
  • Options
    Increase in demand for gas from Asia was already set to have an impact on prices this year. Then restriction to supply of gas as a consequence of Russia invasion of Ukraine this year.

Both of these factors alone are liable to cause price rises, combined they create big price rises.

Added to that if the value of the pound falls the cost of anything we import goes up.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    £4,200 is what’s now being predicted as the average household energy bill in January. Just hold on to that figure for a moment. That’s £80 per week and £350 per month averaged over 12 months. Quite how the government expect people to cope with this is beyond my understanding. The projected figure of £4,200 is £650 more than the projection made by the same consultancy Cornwall Insight just last week. I totally agree that action needs to be taken right now but the government is completely absent. 
  • Options
    Can’t you just make a one off payment to your account?
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    When I phoned Shell they said that I couldn’t pay in excess of my projected useage based on my smart meter readings. I’m now paying £50 a month into a separate account and will let that build up and make a payment once my fixed rate deal ends in 12 and half months time.
  • Options
    the first question any journalist should be asking our future PM is "do you understand the scale of this crisis" 
  • Options
    When I phoned Shell they said that I couldn’t pay in excess of my projected useage based on my smart meter readings. I’m now paying £50 a month into a separate account and will let that build up and make a payment once my fixed rate deal ends in 12 and half months time.
    When I phoned Shell I asked them why they are capitalising on a war and bragging about record profits while people are struggling.  He palmed it off with the usual bullshit about different arms of the business.  wankers