Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sam Lavelle - gone to Carlisle on a 2year deal (p22)

1202122232426»

Comments

• Options
    edited March 12
    Chunes said:
    NabySarr said:
    Redhenry said:
    Terrible player, obvs wasn't scouted properly by our club at the time
    Was an obvious panic buy as we were desperate for a centre back on deadline day, and missed out on Jason Kerr who went to Wigan and would have been a good signing 
    Lavelle had already made his way to London to sign for us when we heard Kerr was available and went for him instead. Lavelle was left sat in the hotel, waiting to see how that panned out. When Kerr went somewhere else, we went back to Lavelle. I recall thinking what a brutal game football  is.

So in that sense was not really a panic buy. I also recall Gallen talking at length about how much he'd watched him and what a good player he was. 

Yes that's right.
    Gallen had his 1 to 5 list and Lavelle was next to go if Jason Kerr the CB of St Johnstone went to Wigan, who along with Ipswich were splashing the cash in that window in League 1.

I know of 2 lads that got trials a couple of seasons ago with a League 2 club just so they wouldn't be short in the FA youth Cup.
    One 16 year old impressed and was told it was 90% he would get a scholarship but it never came about. Apparently this club were full of promises but just used the conveyor belt of young keen footballers to fill their sides for youth matches. A Trialists were running amok. 
    The lad in question ended up at Brentford mainly because they decided to not only  have a B team but to have some academy age 16 to 18 year olds again. They took 3 lads from one South London academy.

It is brutal and so difficult to get contracts.
    The record amount of trials that I know of is a player who was at Fulham from 6 to 14 and then during his teenage years went for trials up and down the country. I was at a FA cup qualifying match and he was subbed at HT for Glebe (Chislehurst)as he had to get to Barnsley for a week's trial ! His Agent must've got him about 15 trials over a number of years which all ended up with a No. Last I heard he was playing part time in the Athenian Premier and at 22 has maybe? realized that his dream won't come to fruition.

Great life for the few but a hard slog for the majority.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Bad move for all involved, reckon if he had stayed in the NW he would have been ok, but along with Kirk they came south and didn't settle and looked shit for it. Don't think his career will get any better then his peak at Morecambe 
    I don't think Lavelle had any problems settling, he was simply not good enough. 
  • Options
    The moment Freddie turned Lavelle for Ipswich 3rd goal at The Valley will never be forgotten. It was at that point I thought, Congratulations Sir, you are now officially the slowest defender I have ever seen (  despite some good competition  ).
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Bad move for all involved, reckon if he had stayed in the NW he would have been ok, but along with Kirk they came south and didn't settle and looked shit for it. Don't think his career will get any better then his peak at Morecambe 
    I don't think Lavelle had any problems settling, he was simply not good enough. 
    Always seemed like he was putting quite a lot of effort into trying to help Kirk settle as well. It really is a shame he wasn't better at football
  • Options
    Who scouted and thought it good business to sign him ?
  • Options
    Who scouted and thought it good business to sign him ?
    Would have been Gallen and whoever the manager was at the time, signed off by TS?