Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Champions League 21/22

Comments

• bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    This is a Man City side without a striker for an entire season by the way. 

So (potentially) winning the league and getting to the Champions League semi-finals would be seen as pretty good considering that. 
    Jesus. Grealish, Stirling, Mahrez, Foden, KDB et al are all strikers - they don't play with a recognised No 9 but that is by design.
    I'd only class Jesus as a natural Striker out of those names.

Grealish | Sterling | Mahrez are wide players

Foden | de Bruyne are what I'd class as attacking midfielders in the Frank Lampard sense.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-city/top-scorers

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/top-scorers

But on that basis you could argue Liverpool also play without a striker Mane and Salah usually play wide left and right respectively.

Maybe that's the nature of modern football, certainly when it comes to Man City and Liverpool.  
    Yeah I would argue that to be fair :D
  • bobmunro said:

So (potentially) winning the league and getting to the Champions League semi-finals would be seen as pretty good considering that. 
    Jesus. Grealish, Stirling, Mahrez, Foden, KDB et al are all strikers - they don't play with a recognised No 9 but that is by design.
    They aren't strikers. 

Jesus is the only one and even he would rather play as a winger than a striker. 
  • bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

I'd only class Jesus as a natural Striker out of those names.

Grealish | Sterling | Mahrez are wide players

Foden | de Bruyne are what I'd class as attacking midfielders in the Frank Lampard sense.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-city/top-scorers

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/top-scorers

But on that basis you could argue Liverpool also play without a striker Mane and Salah usually play wide left and right respectively.

Maybe that's the nature of modern football, certainly when it comes to Man City and Liverpool.  
    But they play Firmino through the middle who IS a striker no? 
  • I'm about 99% certain if they had bought Kane they would have won the treble.
    Can have all the attacking midfielders they want but in later competition someone who holds the ball up and wins fouls up the pitch like Kane does is invaluable. 
    And (whether fairly or unfairly) I judge City and Liverpool slightly differently, simply because City are run in a different way to Liverpool, financially. City's net spend is way higher, therefore any gaps in the squad feel more self inflicted. 
  • edited May 2022
    I'm about 99% certain if they had bought Kane they would have won the treble.
    Can have all the attacking midfielders they want but in later competition someone who holds the ball up and wins fouls up the pitch like Kane does is invaluable. 
    And (whether fairly or unfairly) I judge City and Liverpool slightly differently, simply because City are run in a different way to Liverpool, financially. City's net spend is way higher, therefore any gaps in the squad feel more self inflicted. 
    Liverpool have spent:

21/22: £75m
    20/21: £75m
    19/20: £10m
    18/19: £165m
    17/18: £157m
    16/17: £70m
    15/16: £115m 
    14/15: £136m
    Liverpool have spent:

But what about NET spend though

They've also sold the likes of Coutinho (£121m), Suarez (£73m), Sterling (£57m), Torres (£53m)
    Liverpool have spent:

They've also sold the likes of Coutinho (£121m), Suarez (£73m), Sterling (£57m), Torres (£53m)
    I would put Liverpool in the same bracket at Man Utd or Chelsea. 

You can claim they're 'more sensible' than Man City sure. But the idea they aren't free spending is false. 
  • edited May 2022
    Liverpool have spent:

Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool

Five Biggest Purchases

1. Virgil van Dijk – £76milion
    2. Alisson – £56million
    3. Naby Keita – £54million
    4. Fabinho – £40million
    5. Diogo Jota – £40million

Five Biggest Sales

1. Phillipe Coutinho – £121million
    2. Christian Benteke – £28million
    3. Mamadou Sakho – £25million
    4. Danny Ings – £22million
    5. Dominic Solanke – £19million

Total Spent: £479.56million
    Total Sold: £360.82million

Total Net Spend: £115.74million

Pep Guardiola at Man City

Five Biggest Purchases

1. Jack Grealish – £105million
    2. Ruben Dias – £61million
    3. Riyad Mahrez – £61million
    4. Aymeric Laporte – £58million
    5. Diogo Jota – £40million

Five Biggest Sales

1. Leroy Sane – £54million
    2. Ferran Torres – £49million
    3. Danilo – £33million
    4. Kelechi Ihenacho – £24million
    5. Angelino – £16million

Total Spent: £933.21million
    Total Sold: £370.21million

Total Net Spend: £563million

Liverpool don't make the top 10!

Net transfer spending over last ten seasons

Converted from Euros to Pound Sterling (€1=£0.84)

Page 1 of 10  
    ClubSpentEarnedNet spend
    1Man Utd
    £1.3B
    £1.3B
    £394.8M
    £394.8M
    £903M
    £903M
    2Man City
    £1.4B
    £1.4B
    £600.6M
    £600.6M
    £826.6M
    £826.6M
    3PSG
    £1.2B
    £1.2B
    £423.4M
    £423.4M
    £790.4M
    £790.4M
    4Barcelona
    £1.4B
    £1.4B
    £823.2M
    £823.2M
    £546M
    £546M
    5Arsenal
    £864.4M
    £864.4M
    £374.6M
    £374.6M
    £489.7M
    £489.7M
    6Juventus
    £1.3B
    £1.3B
    £824M
    £824M
    £471.2M
    £471.2M
    7AC Milan
    £742.6M
    £742.6M
    £379.7M
    £379.7M
    £362.9M
    £362.9M
    8Everton
    £765.2M
    £765.2M
    £404.9M
    £404.9M
    £360.4M
    £360.4M
    9Aston Villa
    £588.8M
    £588.8M
    £232.7M
    £232.7M
    £356.2M
    £356.2M
    10Chelsea
    £1.4B
    £1.4B
    £1B
    £1B
    £346.9M
    £346.9M
    Liverpool have spent:

You can claim they're 'more sensible' than Man City sure. But the idea they aren't free spending is false. 
    I never said they aren't spending, but simply that City are spending a lot more.

I'm struggling to remember the last star player that City lost that they wanted to keep, whether to an English rival or to Barca or Real. Once they sign players, they are able to keep them for their prime years.
  • Sponsored links:

Liverpool have spent:

I never said they aren't spending, but simply that City are spending a lot more.

I'm struggling to remember the last star player that City lost that they wanted to keep, whether to an English rival or to Barca or Real. Once they sign players, they are able to keep them for their prime years.
    Sane? Torres this summer? 
  • edited May 2022
    Liverpool have spent:

Sane? Torres this summer? 
    Sane they wanted rid and torres they were not overly bothered about leaving... the latter is a youngster and not in his prime yet. Liverpool are below united, City arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, villa and west ham in the last 10 years. Klopp is doing a phenomenal job
    Liverpool have spent:

There's no question that Klopp has done better in the transfer market than Guardiola, he consistent signs 30-40m players and turns them into 100m players. Luis Diaz the latest one, crazy to get him for less than 40m.

But over the next few years you'll find their net spend goes up a lot, simply because in the past they weren't as good and their best players wanted to leave for better clubs. For example if Sterling and Torres were at Liverpool today there's no way they'd be going to City/Chelsea.

This is also why City's net spend is so high. They've been an elite club challenging for the title for over a decade so therefore they generally only sign world class players and naturally those players rarely want to leave. Despite spending a lot they do tend to get value for money though, 10 of their players who appeared last night have been there at least 5 years.
  • UEFA excelling themselves once again.

75k capacity in Paris. Liverpool and Madrid have been given 19,618 tickets each.

4k of their allocated tickets cost more than £410
  • It's nothing new. How many are each team getting for the FA Cup final?
  • UEFA excelling themselves once again.

75k capacity in Paris. Liverpool and Madrid have been given 19,618 tickets each.

4k of their allocated tickets cost more than £410

The high and mighty - teasing the working class by unnecessarily dragging something away....and making it seem and sound better then what it actually is.

It is just 90mins of football. It's not a holiday in Dubai 
  • iaitch said:
    It's nothing new. How many are each team getting for the FA Cup final?
    30,500 for each club. Not great but enough for every ST holder to go if they want.

Chelsea have 28k season ticket holders.
    Liverpool have 27k - a number kept low i believe so they can sell more match day tickets to make more money. Also the reason why Liverpool have a ST waiting list of over 15 years.
  • Thanks for that Chris, thought they'd be getting around 20,000 each with 40,000 neutrals in the stadium.
  • If the clubs want to take the mega money from the champions league, then they should shut up about tickets going out to the sponsors. 

• Sponsored links:

• Hahahahhaahhahaha

Bin dippers get what they deserve, surely you'd research the company beforehand.

Rich Arlison hahahahahahahhaah

• That's the kind of joke that I don't consider a joke. 

Well out of order 

If it were Charlton fans doing it to Palace or Millwall fans, I'd be embarrassed.
    A lot of them will have missed called in sick from signing on as well. 

• That's the kind of joke that I don't consider a joke. 

Well out of order 

If it were Charlton fans doing it to Palace or Millwall fans, I'd be embarrassed.
    Well, Coach Innovations was set up in 2006 so they must have been pretty forward thinking
  • If Pep, the City players and the City fans were offered the following swap - this season's Premier League title for a place in the Champions League final tonight - I imagine many would take it, as this is the trophy they really want.

Indeed both City and PSG need a Champions League win to really cement their place at the top table.