Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andy Nelson

Comments

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    Graham Tutt doesn't speak highly of him in his book , called him a bully,  among other things.
    Nelson was a respected manager for six years and had been a centre half in his playing career. He was certainly no shrinking violet and life was not exactly easy going back then, but calling him a bully seems a bit strong.
    Take that up with , Tutty  then mate.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Graham Tutt doesn't speak highly of him in his book , called him a bully,  among other things.
    Nelson was a respected manager for six years and had been a centre half in his playing career. He was certainly no shrinking violet and life was not exactly easy going back then, but calling him a bully seems a bit strong.
    As you were the one that felt the need to put it on the thread perhaps you should take it up with Nelson.
  • Options
    I’ll take it up with him tomorrow night lads - maybe I’ll introduce a ‘tutty would have saved that no bother’ and see how we go 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    I’ll take it up with him tomorrow night lads - maybe I’ll introduce a ‘tutty would have saved that no bother’ and see how we go 
    They are referring to the bit in Tutt’s book where he suffered the horrendous injury at Sunderland - according to Tutt, Nelson came in to see Tutt under the stand at Roker Park, and simply asked if Tutt could go back on - the physio said he was badly injured - Nelson then walked out without asking Tutt how he was

From what I have read / heard about Nelson he’s a tosser 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Yes Tutt described Nelson as a bully, not a lovely bloke.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I don’t know him, but he was the first manager I identify with, so a great bit of nostalgia for me.   

However…. Goodness me.  Didn’t take long for people to start slagging off his character/personality based on 3rd party opinion.  And this one is of one incident from one single source.  

If there’s a chance to be hateful online, some people just can’t help themselves.  

Forums at their worst.  
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I don’t know him, but he was the first manager I identify with, so a great bit of nostalgia for me.   

However…. Goodness me.  Didn’t take long for people to start slagging off people based on 3rd party opinion, and a single one at that.  

Forums at their worst.  
    No one's slagging him off.
    The 3rd party opinion as you describe it, happens to be from his goalkeeper, the much loved Graham Tutt.
    Graham seemed like a lovely bloke when he spoke to Bromley Addicks, for a couple of hours and struck me as someone who was very level headed and genuine.
  • Options

However…. Goodness me.  Didn’t take long for people to start slagging off his character/personality based on 3rd party opinion.  And this one is of one incident from one single source.  

If there’s a chance to be hateful online, some people just can’t help themselves.  

Forums at their worst.  
    If your goalkeeper has come close to losing one eye, and you couldn’t give a shit……

Fuck all to do with ‘hateful online’

• Options

However…. Goodness me.  Didn’t take long for people to start slagging off people based on 3rd party opinion, and a single one at that.  

Forums at their worst.  
    The 3rd party opinion happens to be from his goalkeeper Graham Tutt.
    Graham seems like a lovely bloke when he spoke to Bromley Addicks for a couple of hours and struck me as someone who was very level headed and genuine.
    How many people did he manage?   How many other negative comments?  

We all cross paths with people who we don’t get in with, or opinions we don’t agree with.  That’s life.  

To suggest that someone is a bad egg due to one other persons opinion.  Well. 

I always judge people by my own personal interactions.   I’m sure most people do, but are swayed now and then by the
    media/internet (myself included).  

Btw, Tutt was one of my first CAFC heros.  I remember his sickening injury very well as I went to school with his nephew. I’m not challenging his personal opinion of his experience.  Just the fact that others seem to jump on the “injustice!” Bandwagon.   

Like I say, I don’t know Nelson.   I don’t know you.  I always assume someone is nice unless proven wrong personally.  

That’s all I’m trying to say.  
  • Options
    I think managerial styles were much different back then. 
    I think it's fair to say that Paddy Powell wasn't his biggest fan either.
    I used to go to Sparrows Lane as a kid to watch training.
    I remember Nelson as a huge figure who used to walk around the training pitch picking up the divots and replacing them, saying very little to anyone. But he certainly had a presence and aura about him, that I imagine could be intimidating to some players.
    He used to live near me in Gants Hill along with his assistant Harry Cripps.
    Following our 7 1 hammering at Kenilworth Road, my Dad and I passed them in their car on the A12.
    They must have made a quicker exit from the ground than most of us poor fans.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Forums at their worst.  
    If your goalkeeper has come close to losing one eye, and you couldn’t give a shit……

I did not realise that you are all knowing of everything that has ever happened. 
    A busy manager pops into the treatment room and asks the physio if he is coming back on, and being told he would not be, gets on with his job. How is that not giving a shit? How would he know how bad the injury was? Not exactly an unusual event a player being injured is it?
    You are right. It has fuck all with hateful on line, it is the pig ignorant judging others based on something they know fuck all about.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Forums at their worst.  

I did not realise that you are all knowing of everything that has ever happened. 
    A busy manager pops into the treatment room and asks the physio if he is coming back on, and being told he would not be, gets on with his job. How is that not giving a shit? How would he know how bad the injury was? Not exactly an unusual event a player being injured is it?
    You are right. It has fuck all with hateful on line, it is the pig ignorant judging others based on something they know fuck all about.
    Injured vs almost losing an eye - get real 

Google Graham Tutt and look at images - horrendous injury 

Buy his book and learn 

Fuck off you prick 
  • Options
    I’ll save you the trouble - you are the manager and you walk in and see this - I pretty sure I would have more concern about my player than than the match 
  • Options

Forums at their worst.  
    Graham seems like a lovely bloke when he spoke to Bromley Addicks for a couple of hours and struck me as someone who was very level headed and genuine.

We all cross paths with people who we don’t get in with, or opinions we don’t agree with.  That’s life.  

I always judge people by my own personal interactions.   I’m sure most people do, but are swayed now and then by the

Btw, Tutt was one of my first CAFC heros.  I remember his sickening injury very well as I went to school with his nephew. I’m not challenging his personal opinion of his experience.  Just the fact that others seem to jump on the “injustice!” Bandwagon.   

Like I say, I don’t know Nelson.   I don’t know you.  I always assume someone is nice unless proven wrong personally.  

Yes, fair comment.
    I have no opinion on Nelson.
    I do have an opinion on Tutt having spoken to him.
    I was simply confirming what Tutt said about Nelson.
  • Options
    one of my boyhood heroes when he captained Ipswich, my old dad's team, to the then League Division One title in 61/62, their first season in the top flight. A hard man from the East End, an old fashioned manager in the Ramsey mould. Did OK with us for a while then lost the knack, as have far too many Addicks managers
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Forums at their worst.  

Buy his book and learn 

Fuck off you prick 

You want us to believe that he came into the treatment room, knowing that the player could possibly lose his eye, and asked if he could play the second half before he popped off to hospital? 

Even if you believe that Nelson was the biggest bastard to walk God’s earth, that sort of bastard is not playing a goalie who can only see out of one eye, is he? 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:

Forums at their worst.  

Buy his book and learn 

Fuck off you prick 

You want us to believe that he came into the treatment room, knowing that the player could possibly lose his eye, and asked if he could play the second half before he popped off to hospital? 

Even if you believe that Nelson was the biggest bastard to walk God’s earth, that sort of bastard is not playing a goalie who can only see out of one eye, is he? 
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Never-Give-Up-Graham-Buster/dp/1785318489
  • Options

Forums at their worst.  

For what it's worth, I have it on decent authority from several players of the era that the views of Tutt and Powell referenced in this thread were shared by several that played for him....

That being said, I'm sure many that played for Clough, or Shankly, or Furguson wouldn't have enjoyed playing for them either.
  • Options
    Can’t say I ever warmed to Nelson. I was 7 when he replaced Theo Foley and we were promoted soon after, with Theo’s team.  Paddy Powell was my hero and seemed to be poorly treated by Nelson, so my view of him was always guided by that. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Have it good authority that he had no confidence in the centre backs that he signed. Jim Giles was dumped, Dave Shipperley got the blame for all five goals in the five all draw at Bristol Rovers, even played Gary Churchouse in the back four in the three nil home defeat against Preston. Good manager who brought discipline to a side largely put together by Theo Foley, inspired signing of Harry Cripps got Charlton promoted, ran out of steam when he had to replace players like Keith Peacock. Dick Tydeman, Nicky Johns and Martin Robinson apart he bought some wrong uns. Lawrie Madden, Tony Hazell, Alan Dugdale not forgetting playing Benny Fenton's worst scouting moment in history, Jonny Ostergaard and Vigo Jacobsen.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Redrobo said:

Forums at their worst.  

I know he was an arrogant fucker who publicly called the fans Village Idiots.
    He lost much of the fan base as a result of that comment.

Flanagan strikes
    Glikstein sells
    Nelson insults
    We think it smells

Happy days.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Forums at their worst.  

I know he was an arrogant fucker who publicly called the fans Village Idiots.
    He lost much of the fan base as a result of that comment.

Flanagan strikes
    Glikstein sells
    Nelson insults
    We think it smells

Happy days.
    I take it that "Andy Nelson's red n white army" was not sung often?!
  • Options
    A quote from former Gillingham player Brian Yeo.

Yeo is quick to credit the style of player that Andy Nelson introduced as the principal reason for him scoring so many goals.

“I think it was the best season I had there without any doubt,” he said.

“Andy had a lot to do with it. His style of football was to go out and attack as much as we could.

“We scored something like 90 goals that season because he got me doing what I did best and that was getting in the box.

“And, if it wasn’t for Andy, I don’t think I’d have got as many goals as I did in those last few years.

“I scored 31 and, from my point of view, he got us to play the game in a simple way.

https://www.theleaguepaper.com/features/5175/where-are-they-now-gillinghams-division-4-runners-up-1973-74/

• Options
    Happy Birthday Graham Tutt.
  • Options
    Life is always about our different perception of events and do we know people in their work, play or their retired days when different sides of their personality are on show.

Was the "village idiots" statement wrong?

I thought Nelson said that comment after Peter Shaw was called a Wanker after struggling in his first few games by a section of the Covered end ?  A player who did improve after adjusting to the full time demands of Pro football.

The zoom meeting with Graham Tutt was a really good evening and Nelson was portrayed as a bully but wasn't Clough and Ferguson bullies as well ?  Or was it acceptable when you are successful at the upper echelon of the game ?

I believed Graham Tutt when he said about Nelson asking if he was fit to go back on.
    But did Nelson ever give his account of events ? Because if he had a clear view, I can't believe he would've said that unless he wanted to give Graham hope that it wasn't as serious as it turned out to be.

Theo Foley was a lovely guy, and the players would've been so much more relaxed with him than the Sergeant Major approach of Andy Nelson.

• Options
    Life is always about our different perception of events and do we know people in their work, play or their retired days when different sides of their personality are on show.

I thought Nelson said that comment after Peter Shaw was called a Wanker after struggling in his first few games by a section of the Covered end ?  A player who did improve after adjusting to the full time demands of Pro football.

The zoom meeting with Graham Tutt was a really good evening and Nelson was portrayed as a bully but wasn't Clough and Ferguson bullies as well ?  Or was it acceptable when you are successful at the upper echelon of the game ?

I believed Graham Tutt when he said about Nelson asking if he was fit to go back on.
    But did Nelson ever give his account of events ? Because if he had a clear view, I can't believe he would've said that unless he wanted to give Graham hope that it wasn't as serious as it turned out to be.

Theo Foley was a lovely guy, and the players would've been so much more relaxed with him than the Sergeant Major approach of Andy Nelson.

yes. 

• Options
    edited August 2021

yes. 

If you were a manager and one of your new players who came from non League had heard a couple of hundred fans chant:

"We all agree Peter Shaw is a wanker"

Would you have made out you didn't hear ?

As manager, I would have called it a moronic chant not Village idiots even in those non PC days. In fact "moronic chant" was my opinion on the night, Ricky Holmes came back to Cafc with Oxford and the boos rang out at the Covered end.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Eamon Dunphy also is critical of Nelson in his Rocky Road autobiography. As has been said many times here Eamon is incredibly ambivalent about his time with us and considering that in his eighteen months at the Valley he was involved in a promotion which he contributed to I find this slightly surprising . 

Like Tutt he clearly liked Theo Foley who as a former Irish International team mate had brought him to the club .

He describes Nelson as one of lifes ' stoppers' but accepts that he was ' a good fit for a team of delinquents badly in need of discipline'. He mistakenly sites the Flanagan and Hales punch up ( six years before it happened ) as an example of the ill discipline .

Dunphy describes how Nelson would not take any 'bullshit' from him and although he was not rated by him as a player or person that in the third tier ' he had his uses ' . Although laughs were 'few and far between' he describes Nelson's relationship with Glikstein and how Andy was a 'suck up , piss-down guy'.  Apparently the 'tyrant of the training ground and dressing room visibly wilted in the Old Etonian's presence '.  Dunphy tells an amusing story of how Glikstein would beckon him to talk to him on the coach but not inviting him to sit and that Nelson ' would stand stooping , slightly off balance , as his master pontificated on the day's events '.

As mentioned above Eamon credits Harry Cripps's arrival as adding experience to the squad as 'we emerged as promotion contenders' and tells how Arry boy replaced him in the final game against Preston . He tells of how Keith Peacock was also dropped that night without an explanation and became  'tearful, badly hurt, confused, shaken beyond anger ' and that Nelson's brutal treatment of Peacock was ' the most perverse act I ever witnessed in my football life'.

Dunphy then describes how he heard about his release from a Newspaper article . 
  • Options
    edited August 2021

It wasn’t specifically the fans jeering Peter Shaw that he chose to call the fans Village Idiots…..he wasn’t exactly Mr Popular one has to say, rather aloof and never did have much of a rapport with the man on the terrace. Then when he actually did, it was to slag them off.
  • Options
    I’m going in disguise tonight