Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andy Nelson

Out in Spain atm and there’s a great bar that shows all the football - one of its regulars who I’ve been introduced to is Andy Nelson our ex manager - very well respected by the regulars and a nice chap - will pick his brains about our current situation but certainly the team recruitment and lack of spend this year is in line with what another former manager of ours that I had the good fortune to meet s few weeks back said - got a few weeks for that to be proved wrong but looking like he’s right 

Comments

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Out in Spain atm and there’s a great bar that shows all the football - one of its regulars who I’ve been introduced to is Andy Nelson our ex manager - very well respected by the regulars and a nice chap - will pick his brains about our current situation but certainly the team recruitment and lack of spend this year is in line with what another former manager of ours that I had the good fortune to meet s few weeks back said - got a few weeks for that to be proved wrong but looking like he’s right 
    I suppose he must be marching on towards 80.
    Did you recognise him before being introduced?
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Thanks @DOUCHER
  • Options
    Where is this bar exactly ?
  • Options
    Just the town would be enough, and anyway I can’t fit any new prospects into my schedule atm. 
  • Options
    Javea, Costa Blanca 
  • Options
    Terry venables spotted out here quite regularly as well 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Javea, Costa Blanca 
    Very pretty place, mate of mine opened the first Indian restaurant there - many moons back. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Got your Village Idiot banner ready?? 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    DOUCHER said:
    Give you one guess who made that banner and took it into The Covered End. 🤔
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Javea, Costa Blanca 
    Very pretty place, mate of mine opened the first Indian restaurant there - many moons back. 
    Agreed - been coming out here for 30 years - ‘the jewel in the crown of the Costa Blanca’ as it’s known or the best place in the world as my dad calls it - the Indian a few shops back from the front on the main drag down to the port beach has always been there so could be that one ? 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

Terry and his wife had an upmarket Hotel and Restaurant in Alcoyano  near Alicante for many years - went there a couple of times and he met and greeted guests and was quite chatty -
    seemed amused that i supported Charlton.  Sold up about 3 years and was told that he intended to return home.

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Give you one guess who made that banner and took it into The Covered End. 🤔
    Addick1956?
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Javea, Costa Blanca 
    Strange name for a curry house....it's usually 'The Raj' or something similar.
    Nothing like a bit of local cuisine.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Javea, Costa Blanca 
    Agreed - been coming out here for 30 years - ‘the jewel in the crown of the Costa Blanca’ as it’s known or the best place in the world as my dad calls it - the Indian a few shops back from the front on the main drag down to the port beach has always been there so could be that one ? 
    Yep, that’s the one. 
    I’m going back a lot of years tho. 
    A mate used to charge me £25 for a fortnight at his holiday hone in Moraira. 
    Used to see those Dire Straits boys down that way quite often. 
  • Options
    He’s been there a bloody long time - My mum retired to Moraira in 1987 and I remember him walking past me on the front in Denia in c1993 
    Nice part of the world. Full of ex pats but its low rise and we had lots of lovely holidays with Mum when the kids were young. 
    Nice to hear that he is still alive ! 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

Terry and his wife had an upmarket Hotel and Restaurant in Alcoyano  near Alicante for many years - went there a couple of times and he met and greeted guests and was quite chatty -
    seemed amused that i supported Charlton.  Sold up about 3 years and was told that he intended to return home.

Correction:  
    Alcoy is the town, Alcoyano is the 3rd tier football team half am mile away ...

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    THE Nelson, the man who set up the team to play to Killers strengths.
    Lovely chap.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    No - he sat near us a couple of times and I got chatting to the regulars and they told me - got a photo with him I’ll put up once back home 
    When you see him next can you thank him for popping over to the programme shop in '83. It was a midweek, I was very grateful.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    THE Nelson, the man who set up the team to play to Killers strengths.
    Lovely chap.
    Oh, is that so?
  • Options
    Nelson manager for six years between 1974 and 1980. Hales had his most prolific season in 1975/76 scoring 28 goals. As a school boy I was listening in on a conversation between Andy and my Father in the close season discussing how Hales would be played.
    I remember Andy finishing by saying if it did not work he wouldn’t have a job, but that he would score a hatful.
    Must be nearly 90 now. Also remember how tall he was. Really big bloke.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Javea, Costa Blanca 
    Yep, that’s the one. 
    I’m going back a lot of years tho. 
    A mate used to charge me £25 for a fortnight at his holiday hone in Moraira. 
    Used to see those Dire Straits boys down that way quite often. 
    Royal Gurkha it’s called now - my first 10 years coming out here was to Moraira - last 20 Javea - home from home now - closest point on mainland Spain to Ibiza - seems to have its own micro climate - sun and blue skies and nothing else 
  • Options
    Always remember as a kid when we won promotion from the old 3rd division someone spray painted on a wall outside Sainsbury's in Woolwich 'Andy Nelson is God'
  • Options
    Graham Tutt doesn't speak highly of him in his book , called him a bully,  among other things.
  • Options
    His time at charlton was before my time / just ending as I was starting to go so can’t really comment
  • Options
    Graham Tutt doesn't speak highly of him in his book , called him a bully,  among other things.
    Nelson was a respected manager for six years and had been a centre half in his playing career. He was certainly no shrinking violet and life was not exactly easy going back then, but calling him a bully seems a bit strong.