Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlie Watts RIP

13»

Comments

• Options
    Legend.  R.I.P.
  • Options
    RIP, a sad loss

He's at the age when old age and disease start taking their toll, but it still feels strange that he's only the second Stone to pass away considering Brian died over 50 years ago.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    In his own words...When people talk about the '60s I never think that was me there. It was me and I was in it, but I was never enamoured with all that. It's supposed to be sex and drugs and rock and roll and I'm not really like that. I've never really seen the Rolling Stones as anything.
  • Options
    Bilko said:
    He was a great dummer and his passion was playing jazz, like some have mentioned… RIP.
    He was in this earlier in the year he my interviewed about jazz.   https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000pjds
  • Options
    Unbelievable to have been in the same band since 1963. 

RIP
    Absolutely, it's incredible that for a lot of us (and I don't just mean the spring chickens) he's been in that band all our lives. RIP.
  • Options
    Feared the worst when I read that he wasn't touring with the band

RIP Charlie
  • Options
    Rest in peace Charlie Watts.

Like Larry Mullen Jr, he wouldn't be the first drummer's name you would think of when talking "the world's best" but he showed enough flair and did the right things consistently and very well.

What he should be commended for is being able to endure Mick Jagger for 57 years!! In that regard he deserves every accolade going! 

Rest in peace. 

• Options
    A sad day, and to those of us who grew up in the 60's the loss of such an icon reminds us of our own mortality
  • Options
    Gutted that he's gone, like many on here I grew up with the Stones from the early 60's.

A great drummer and I agree with @bobmunro, no CW no Stones. 

RIP Charlie god bless you and thank you!
    My condolences to friends and family.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Such sad news. Grew up with the Stones and saw them twice. Once in Hyde Park in the sixties and later at Wembley.
    They will always be the greatest rock and roll band in the world for me.
    You'll "Not fade away" Charlie.
    R.I.P. 

• Options
    Such sad news. Grew up with the Stones and saw them twice. Once in Hyde Park in the sixties and later at Wembley.
    They will always be the greatest rock and roll band in the world for me.
    You'll "Not fade away" Charlie.
    R.I.P. 

Some years ago I was in Chicago and wandering along South Michigan Ave when I remember the Stones recording a number called 2120 South Michigan Avenue. (Worth a listen).
    So I hunted 2120 and discovered it was the recording studio for Chess records.
    It is now a museum  with lots of memorabilia of the Stones and many others who recorded there. 
  • Options
    Very sad loss, Charlie was very much the heartbeat of the Stones. He didn't need to be flashy but kept it all together. The London stadium gigs were incredible and yes, they could easily have played a totally different set without disappointing a soul. Not a bad legacy for anyone.
  • Options

Brilliant......RIP Charlie....someone we could all identify with just a normal bloke catapulted into stardom...a legend
  • Options
    Disappointed - to put it mildly - that beyond a routine obit on the website, the BBC doesnt see fit to mark his passing. BBC 4 is the channel which is made for it, so much archive material which they pack the schedule with. Looked on my TV guide, and there was nothing devoted to him, albeit BBC2 has a Stones concert recording, but this is presented as celebrating 50 years of the band, and thus scheduled before his passing. I would love to see footage of his jazz band ventures, and surely if anyone can get hold of it, the BBC can.

By contrast on Twitter you can find so much coverage from the US. CNN had a 9 minute interview with Max Weinberg of the E Street Band, which was great; Weinberg seems to me to occupy the same role in his band as Charlie did, it was good to hear him say they were friends. Whether Weinberg is technically up there with Charlie, I am not qualified to say.