Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Low budget // Steve Gallon not able to pick own targets

13»

Comments

• Options
    who can forget all those signings we made from PSG and Lyon. 

Tbh I don't know much about it, I know that curbs thought highly enough to take him to west ham with him. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Steve Gallon, is his tank half empty or half full? 
    Bit personal Sam?
    Known to his mates as "Old 8 pints"....
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Marlon Brandon - sounds like a contender
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Marlon Brandon - sounds like a contender
    Could of been. But his brother Hanlan never looked after him.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    One thing I have wondered is what our scouting set up looks like?  And how does it compare to L1/ championship clubs?

Now that overseas players are that much more difficult to acquire given Brexit do you need an overseas presence?  

Was the scouting set up slashed and burnt by RD/ESI- I assume so.

Surely no coincidence we did well under Powell whom was PFA player liaison man I think so extremely well connected and liked.  Bowyer was different but was well connected.

Are Adkins connections as strong?  Was he out of the game long enough some of that has gone?  What connections does Roddy have in the market we are shopping?

In recent years we managed to pick Pope, Lookman and Aribo out of non league - who do we have looking for these gems?  You could argue the first two went some way to keeping the club afloat and if Pope was to sell for £20m or so then with Popes sell on; Lookman and him will have bought more to this club than the academy kids like Gomez, Konsa, Grant etc.

I guess the point I am making is, Is this beyond Roddy/Gallen and simply a factor of years of decay and cost cutting of scouting teams?
    What about Asia / Africa / South America / Oceania? 

Yes quite.  I wonder if other L1/Championship clubs have international scouting set ups?  Do/did we? Is it worth it as how do footy players qualify for visas anyway.  Not just in Europe but further afield as.you say.
    I remember during the premier league days we had a kind of European scouting network. Curbs went on holiday to Perugia and secured the signing of Jay Bothroyd 
    Yes, a kind of network. It was called Jeff Vetere. 
    Wasn’t he involved with jiminez? Whatever happened there…
  • Options
    who can forget all those signings we made from PSG and Lyon. 

Tbh I don't know much about it, I know that curbs thought highly enough to take him to west ham with him. 
    Kelly Youga came from Lyon and Talal El Karkouri from PSG.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Not being competitive in League One is an all time low for this club. There's still time to correct it, here's hoping we do.
    There are 9 days left. They couldn't do it in 9 weeks when the shelves were stocked , even with freebies (no transfer fee) . Now we are in reject and dodgy Premiership kindergarten loan area.
    And why would any Premier club loan decent players to a club in the League 1 relegation zone with an owner who looks and sounds like David Brent and a manager who sounds like Forrest Gump.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    All I was asking was if it's possible to bring in players from further afield? Nothing to do with f***ing B****t

And the answer is no... because of Brexit.