Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Low budget // Steve Gallon not able to pick own targets

Comments

• Options
    Where has the roddy identifying players rumour come from? I’m guessing Twitter and based on the fact that his son joined the academy and played in a pointless cup game?
  • Options
    Where has the roddy identifying players rumour come from? I’m guessing Twitter and based on the fact that his son joined the academy and played in a pointless cup game?

He's part of/ has a recruitment team, has been said by Adkins in the past (mainly  focused on the data analysis side of identifying/ checking out players I think)
  • Options
    Think people are largely going off this

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Can you make signings like Stockley and Kirk with a low end League 1 budget?
    Yes if the other 9 are getting paid peanuts. 

And if you have less squad members than you should. 
    Doubt whether Watson, Gunter, Matthews, Inniss and the new keeper are on peanuts
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    "Roddy is technical director and oversees all footballing matters at the football club for the men, women and academy – as well as recruitment and the medical set-up."

"Players are identified by a combination of analysts, scouts and director of football Gallen."

From an SLP article/interview (https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-player-recruitment-process-explained-as-nigel-adkins-makes-transfer-admission/) which admittedly seems to contradict the tweet quoted by @MattF. I'm presuming that Gallen runs the scouting team but is still answering to Roddy which seems to be the issue.
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Think people are largely going off this

What happened to the traditional scouting system, with the chief scout reporting back to the manager? Or are these just scout with posh handles?
  • Options
    One thing I have wondered is what our scouting set up looks like?  And how does it compare to L1/ championship clubs?

Now that overseas players are that much more difficult to acquire given Brexit do you need an overseas presence?  

Was the scouting set up slashed and burnt by RD/ESI- I assume so.

Surely no coincidence we did well under Powell whom was PFA player liaison man I think so extremely well connected and liked.  Bowyer was different but was well connected.

Are Adkins connections as strong?  Was he out of the game long enough some of that has gone?  What connections does Roddy have in the market we are shopping?

In recent years we managed to pick Pope, Lookman and Aribo out of non league - who do we have looking for these gems?  You could argue the first two went some way to keeping the club afloat and if Pope was to sell for £20m or so then with Popes sell on; Lookman and him will have bought more to this club than the academy kids like Gomez, Konsa, Grant etc.

I guess the point I am making is, Is this beyond Roddy/Gallen and simply a factor of years of decay and cost cutting of scouting teams?
    What about Asia / Africa / South America / Oceania? 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    One thing I have wondered is what our scouting set up looks like?  And how does it compare to L1/ championship clubs?

Now that overseas players are that much more difficult to acquire given Brexit do you need an overseas presence?  

Surely no coincidence we did well under Powell whom was PFA player liaison man I think so extremely well connected and liked.  Bowyer was different but was well connected.

Are Adkins connections as strong?  Was he out of the game long enough some of that has gone?  What connections does Roddy have in the market we are shopping?

In recent years we managed to pick Pope, Lookman and Aribo out of non league - who do we have looking for these gems?  You could argue the first two went some way to keeping the club afloat and if Pope was to sell for £20m or so then with Popes sell on; Lookman and him will have bought more to this club than the academy kids like Gomez, Konsa, Grant etc.

I guess the point I am making is, Is this beyond Roddy/Gallen and simply a factor of years of decay and cost cutting of scouting teams?
    I would assume that they have always been fairly difficult to acquire due to similar restrictions that we are seeing wrt European players and Brexit?!?
  • Options
    Gribbo said:

Yes quite.  I wonder if other L1/Championship clubs have international scouting set ups?  Do/did we? Is it worth it as how do footy players qualify for visas anyway.  Not just in Europe but further afield as.you say.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:

Work permit restrictions mean it is very difficult to shop in those areas until we are a Championship side.
    Shame - there's some decent talent in Australia
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gribbo said:

Yes quite.  I wonder if other L1/Championship clubs have international scouting set ups?  Do/did we? Is it worth it as how do footy players qualify for visas anyway.  Not just in Europe but further afield as.you say.
    Didn't we have some sort of agreement with an Aussie accademy at one point, or was I dreaming that?
  • Options
    Any sign or hint of a rumour of a signing. Another day is slipping by, half done and just us speculating, arguing and wondering. Meanwhile an old boy, Marlon Brandon is on Wycombe's and Lincoln's radar. Strange.
    Try the rumours thread, always full of 'em. 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Gribbo said:

Work permit restrictions mean it is very difficult to shop in those areas until we are a Championship side.
    Shame - there's some decent talent in Australia
    It’s worse. The work permit rules were written for the Premier League for the Premier League, and the rest of football nodded along 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:

I would assume that they have always been fairly difficult to acquire due to similar restrictions that we are seeing wrt European players and Brexit?!?
    Sort of my point. Players have come over from those places in the past, so should it not be the same for bringing in player from Europe now? I don't know, but would've though a player earning £2k to £4k a week would pass any visa requirements.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

Sort of my point. Players have come over from those places in the past, so should it not be the same for bringing in player from Europe now? I don't know, but would've though a player earning £2k to £4k a week would pass any visa requirements.
    You need to be an international playing in a top European league at a club that qualifies for the champions league or europa league on a regular basis to not have to get a work permit. 

Then it’s very restrictive to get one from outside that group of clubs 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

That door for league one clubs has closed I’m afraid. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

You need to be an international playing in a top European league at a club that qualifies for the champions league or europa league on a regular basis to not have to get a work permit. 

Apreciate they need a work permit but, taking away the fact they're footballers, would a person on £170k+ a year, working in any industry, qualify comfortably? Just asking
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Rothko said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

Apreciate they need a work permit but, taking away the fact they're footballers, would a person on £170k+ a year, working in any industry, qualify comfortably? Just asking
    Nope, the Governing Body exception are like hens teeth, need the FA and EFL to sign off on it before it goes to the Home Office for the permit. 

The Verane deal was held up by two weeks as it took FA and Home Office to agree on it  
  • Options
    If something's too good to be true...then it probably (Charlton athletic) is
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:
    Gribbo said:
    Rothko said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

Nope, the Governing Body exception are like hens teeth, need the FA and EFL to sign off on it before it goes to the Home Office for the permit. 

The Verane deal was held up by two weeks as it took FA and Home Office to agree on it  
    So are transfers from anywhere in the world subject to the same? 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Rothko said:
    Gribbo said:
    Rothko said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

So are transfers from anywhere in the world subject to the same? 
    Anywhere other than Tranmere apparently.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Rothko said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

Other industries have a different set up. The Government has accepted the FA as the entity that provides the "Governing Body Endorsement" (GBE)::

The GBE will operate a points-based system, where points are scored for senior and talented young players based on:
    • Senior and youth international appearances
    • Quality of the selling club, based on the league they are in, league position and progression in continental competition
    • Club appearances, based on domestic league and continental competition minutes

Players accumulating the requisite amount of points will earn a GBE automatically, while players just below the threshold may be considered for a GBE by an Exceptions Panel.

You'll see that earnings have nothing to do with it.

As has been explained on this site previously, even a player of the quality of Norwich's Teemu Pukki would not have got a permit to play here under the post-brexit system.

• Options
    cafcfan said:
    Gribbo said:
    Rothko said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

Other industries have a different set up. The Government has accepted the FA as the entity that provides the "Governing Body Endorsement" (GBE)::

The GBE will operate a points-based system, where points are scored for senior and talented young players based on:
    • Senior and youth international appearances
    • Quality of the selling club, based on the league they are in, league position and progression in continental competition
    • Club appearances, based on domestic league and continental competition minutes

Players accumulating the requisite amount of points will earn a GBE automatically, while players just below the threshold may be considered for a GBE by an Exceptions Panel.

You'll see that earnings have nothing to do with it.

As has been explained on this site previously, even a player of the quality of Norwich's Teemu Pukki would not have got a permit to play here under the post-brexit system.

So that's always been the case for player coming in from the rest of the world and now applies to European players
  • Options
    All I was asking was if it's possible to bring in players from further afield? Nothing to do with f***ing B****t
  • Options
    We can sign as many Indian footballers as we like
  • Options
    Gribbo said:

I remember during the premier league days we had a kind of European scouting network. Curbs went on holiday to Perugia and secured the signing of Jay Bothroyd 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:

I remember during the premier league days we had a kind of European scouting network. Curbs went on holiday to Perugia and secured the signing of Jay Bothroyd 
    Yes, a kind of network. It was called Jeff Vetere. 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:

Yes, a kind of network. It was called Jeff Vetere. 
    Who often only went as far as Paris or Lyon