Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Milton Keynes v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 17 August 2021 | Match Preview, Prediction, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    3 games to get the preseason legginess out. Season starts tomorrow. 

1-2 to the addicks 
  • Options
    2-0 win - tails up
  • Options
    Mk Dons 2 - 1 Cafc

Washington our goal scorer.
  • Options
    2-0 win - tails up
    2-0 defeat:  tits up.
  • Options
    2-0 defeat and people start to realise that parking aside the bickering on the forum - we could be in some serious shit this season.
  • Options
    I suspect Sage could be right with his starting XI, esp if Inniss isn't up to another game so soon.

I do think that we might see a slight tactical tweak though and play a Bowyer-style diamond with DJ at the tip, in order to get him on the ball more. It would also enable Washington to get closer to Stockley, which should give us more attacking threat. It would mean sacrificing width, but until Kirk gets up to speed and more recruits arrive we're not much good at that right now in any case. Pretty obvious we need to be in horses-for-courses territory with the starting XI, and this system possibly suits the players we have better. Who knows, it might even be the making of DJ. If it is, you read it here first... 

MKD 1 Charlton 1 (Washington)
  • Options
    I think the team will be really up for this after the performance on Saturday. To many had a bad day at the office and if they have anything about them they will want to come back strong. Something also makes me think they may have seen another side of Adkins after Saturday's match.
    2 or 3 nil to us
  • Options
    2 nil to mk dons
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2021
    JamesSeed said:
    I was disappointed when Watson came on for Dobson v Oxford, even though Dobbo hadn’t had a great game. 
    But I’ve just remembered that Watson ended last season pretty well. Perhaps he can find some form again?
    We’ll see Kirk I’m sure, probably, but not definitely from the bench. That’ll be interesting, but hope we can keep our expectations under control.
    Hope we can get something from the game. One point from three games would be a bit of a mare. 
    My expectations are well and truly under control, I expect us to lose or draw. It depends on how many MK Dons can score and none or one is our likely return. We do have to cut out the mistakes as we can't come back from them as we are now.
  • Options
    Just a bit of tactical flexibility would be a start. Square pegs, round holes, not again please. 
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    I remember distinctly the first game of the Powell promotion season. The team gelled from the start and we rolled over Bournemouth 3-0.
    All 3 goals were scored by midfielders. I left thinking we were in very good shape for a promotion challenge. This was even before Kermogant.
    The start of this season with this squad feels nothing like that. We have a makeshift defence, an uncreative midfield, a dearth of goalscorers and totally inexperienced or semi fit players in  reserve.  If it changes between now and the end of August we may have a chance of promotion so lets keep our fingers crossed. But at present I would say we have no chance.
    Completely agree.  It doesn’t feel anything like a promotion looking outfit.  I guess it was hard to say that Powell’s team were going to romp the league in 2011/12 after a few games, but they certainly had more of feel good factor behind them.  For me, I think we need a better right back than Matthews to get out the league, we’re okay with the 2 centre backs, but we are massively exposed if one of them gets injured.  I think we had Cort, Taylor and Morrison in 11/12.  

I haven’t seen enough of Clare & Dobson to pass judgement, so I hope they will come good.  It just doesn’t have that promotion feel, and I’m not sure what will be available to us coming in, even if it’s 5 additional players, are they all going to massively increase the first XI? 
  • Options
    I think some people need to park 2011 where it belongs, firmly in the past.  It was a once in a life time season.  Scratch teams don't win leagues with over 100 points.  It will drive you insane if you compare everything to it.

We will almost certainly play 433/4231/451, or however you want to write it, tomorrow and Saturday and the following Saturday.  I wasn't convinced that playing it last season ment we would do it this season, maybe it was just getting the best from the resources available, but ever signing suggests that's how we will play.  I suspect that's how the u23s and possibly U18s will play as well? 

The choice of partner for Famewo will be very telling IMO.  If its Inniss I would think it suggest he isn't as broken as we think.  If the choice is Pearce or Elewery the choice will also tell us a lot.  It could be Gunter or Dobson, you never know.

The change I would make is swap Clare and Morgan.  The best midfield we had last season was Watson, JFC and Gilbey, the second best was when Morgan replaced JFC.  I would go back to that. Other than that I would play the same team, there isn't really much choice is there? 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    I just know what can change from Saturday, other than Kirk. But I do somehow fancy us for the win. 2-0 Charlton.
    What else can change then? Enlighten us!
  • Options
    For those not making the trip to roundabout central the game is available for £10 on Charlton TV. As are all our midweek games.
    Can we use CAFC Cash for this. I had a quick look at the booking site & couldnt see any link. Is it card payment only ?
  • Options
    A very convincing win for the Addicks…
  • Options
    Comfortable 4-0 away win
  • Options
    Comfortable 4-0 away win

Happy Valley's patent ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think we will keep a clean sheet but it will come down to whether can find something at the other end 0 - 0
  • Options
    I dont think we suit playing against 3 at the back, it would be nice to see us mix it up. Essentially they probably dont need to play 3 at the back when we play a loan striker, i cant see us changing it up too much so i think we lose here. On paper they have some players that will punish us Eisa/Parrott (I know he hasn't done it yet, but still feel he will score goals given the chance there) 

2-1 to the Franchise 
  • Options
    Eisa and Parrott is a class strike force at this level. Worrying. 
  • Options
    Pretty concerned about this one tbh, we looked so inept against Oxford that I just can’t see where the goals are coming from for us. 

Will watch on the stream, hopefully it’s not as bad as I fear. 
  • Options
    Plans A, B and C seem to involve hoofing the ball high to Stockley. Let's hope Kirk can add a Plan D and then we wait for more reinforcements before deadline day. 
  • Options
    I think we will kick on tonight. 
    Its a long season, so better to have our blip at the beginning so we can correct the errors (and blip is 1 point from 2 games!) 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Great preview, but I massively disagree that this is the sort of match to replace Dobson with Watson. I was at the "Covid test" match against MKD last season and Watson was chasing shadows until he was put out of his misery and finally subbed. We need a proper defensive shield, and Dobson seems the best option to provide this.

Last season's MKD were a Per/Barcelona passing team, but with a big No 9 to give them an alternative more direct option. Without Jerome, I imagine they'll be keeping it on the deck even more, but relying more on pace to counter attack. I don't know if Innis can cope with another game, but this to me isn't a Jason Pearce match - I'd prefer him to only play against "lower division lump" strikers.
  • Options
    Great preview, but I massively disagree that this is the sort of match to replace Dobson with Watson. I was at the "Covid test" match against MKD last season and Watson was chasing shadows until he was put out of his misery and finally subbed. He need a proper defensive shield, and Dobson seems the best option to provide this.

Last season's MKD were a Per/Barcelona passing team, but with a big No 9 to give them an alternative more direct option. Without Jerome, I imagine they'll be keeping it on the deck even more, but relying more on pace to counter attack. I don't know if Innis can cope with another game, but this to me isn't a Jason Pearce match - I'd prefer him to only play against "lower division lump" strikers.
    I agree.  Save Watson for the games after we've won the league.