Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gilbey & Schwartz

Anyone actually know why these 2 haven’t been in the last two squads is it both Covid related

Comments

• They have had long covid. 
  • Gilbey still getting back up to speed after Covid and Schwartz is a bit of a mystery.
  • Gilbey still getting back up to speed after Covid and Schwartz is a bit of a mystery.
    Schwartz is the same. Both getting up to speed after Covid.
  • Schwartz trained with the U23s.

Why?

Why not with the first team?
  • Is one ahead of the other?

Gilbey is still some weeks away from joining in... Schwartz trained yesterday with the U23s - as at a guess the matchday squad had lighter training, or not at all what with the game.

On that basis it sounds like we should see Schwartz before Gilbey

Why?

Not saying it’s the case here but a first team player training with the under 23’s is usually some sort of punishment. It’s very odd. He’s a first team squad player and should be with the first team squad unless …..

Why?

Depends if its a permanent thing at the moment, or whether it was a one off as the first team had a match to prepare for. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Is one ahead of the other?

Gilbey is still some weeks away from joining in... Schwartz trained yesterday with the U23s - as at a guess the matchday squad had lighter training, or not at all what with the game.

On that basis it sounds like we should see Schwartz before Gilbey
    Seemed like Gilbey got sick around the time of the taly game and Schwartz was earlier.
  • Gilbey was due to be in the matchday squad against Wednesday and pulled out late on and Ghandour was called up to the bench 
  • Chrispy51 said:
    Why won’t / can’t the club come out and say Ronnie had Covid? He is getting slated for not being fit and joining training late. Covid is a legitimate reason for this, I just don’t understand why the club won’t come out and say it
    The club don’t seem to say much about anything anymore.

Why?

Schwartz needs to get up to speed after his absence and is better off taking part in high intensity training with the u23s than he is taking part in a gentle match day jog and a bit of yoga  

Why?

Would the first team have trained on a match day?

Why?

Schwartz needs to get up to speed after his absence and is better off taking part in high intensity training with the u23s than he is taking part in a gentle match day jog and a bit of yoga  
    I would have thought the best preparation for getting match fit would be to play in an actual match. Nothing can replicate playing in a match than.......playing in a match. He should have started last night & played 45 mins (like the rest of the players did in the pre-season games) or been on the bench & come on for the last 20/30 mins. It's what has always happened with players coming back from injury.

It's as if the club actively dont want him to get game time.
  • Sponsored links:

Why?

I would have thought the best preparation for getting match fit would be to play in an actual match. Nothing can replicate playing in a match than.......playing in a match. He should have started last night & played 45 mins (like the rest of the players did in the pre-season games) or been on the bench & come on for the last 20/30 mins. It's what has always happened with players coming back from injury.

I think he's literally just returned to training, in pre season all the players get at least a week of really grueling training to get their bodies up to speed before playing friendly matches.
  • edited August 2021
    Schwartz trained with the U23s.

Why?

I think he's literally just returned to training, in pre season all the players get at least a week of really grueling training to get their bodies up to speed before playing friendly matches.
    Trouble is this is where I in part agree with Golfie... Didnt he return around the Reading pre-season game?

He's been back for about two and a half weeks, maybe a bit longer as havent looked into dates - Isnt that a similar time between players reporting back for pre-season and when we played Celtic, so 45mins would be ideal.

The only difference being the fact that 45mins at that stage isnt probably too bad as everyone is going to be at the same sort of pace - I'd question if 45mins at this stage with only just getting back to fitness is going to make you look miles behind the pace of a game...

Edit: Going by what Seth Plum has just said on another thread, the last paragraph sounds likely actually.

Why?

Would the first team have trained properly yesterday? On the day of a game I'd have very much doubted it.

Why?

Trouble is this is where I in part agree with Golfie... Didnt he return around the Reading pre-season game?

He's been back for about two and a half weeks, maybe a bit longer as havent looked into dates - Isnt that a similar time between players reporting back for pre-season and when we played Celtic, so 45mins would be ideal.

The only difference being the fact that 45mins at that stage isnt probably too bad as everyone is going to be at the same sort of pace - I'd question if 45mins at this stage with only just getting back to fitness is going to make you look miles behind the pace of a game...

Edit: Going by what Seth Plum has just said on another thread, the last paragraph sounds likely actually.
    I don't think he's been able to fully take part though
  • Regardless of whether he's been back for 2 weeks/2.5 weeks whatever, he's a professional footballer and must have a decent basic level of fitness. Ok he's had covid but if he's fit enough to train for 2 weeks, then he was surely fit enough to play for 15-20 minutes last night. Instead we're risking Stockley for 20 minutes.

I mentioned on the Schwartz thread that Man City played players in the community shield who had literally had 2-3 training sessions since returning from their summer holidays.

I haven't played 11 a side for about 15 years and i smoke and i reckon even i could do 15-20 minutes.
  • edited August 2021
    Ah, judging from @LouisMend's article, Schwarz trained with the U23's since they were doing a footballing session. Fair enough.

I've never had long covid but I did have really bad bronchitis when I was younger and it took me months to recover. I used to come back from school, fall asleep and not wake up til the next day. Absolutely exhausted. 
  • edited August 2021
    LouisMend said:
    Cheers Louis, does sound like there's some decent potential for them all (Bar JFC) to be back soon, at least within this window. 
  • edited August 2021
    Regardless of whether he's been back for 2 weeks/2.5 weeks whatever, he's a professional footballer and must have a decent basic level of fitness. Ok he's had covid but if he's fit enough to train for 2 weeks, then he was surely fit enough to play for 15-20 minutes last night. Instead we're risking Stockley for 20 minutes.

I mentioned on the Schwartz thread that Man City played players in the community shield who had literally had 2-3 training sessions since returning from their summer holidays.

I haven't played 11 a side for about 15 years and i smoke and i reckon even i could do 15-20 minutes.
    I've not had it but is long covid just like having a long holiday in the sunshine?
    According to some YES.

The British Journal of Sports Medicine recently released a really interesting article on how exercise can effect recovery of Covid-19.

It stated that Long Covid patients can still be suffering at least one debilitating symptom after as long as 8 weeks. This includes fatigue, dyspnoea, chest pain, muscle pains, amongst other multisystem symptoms that can last for many months.

A big problem with Long Covid is that many GP's or first contact practitioners advise long periods of rest. This leads to physical deconditioning and in turn increases the recovery time to return to exercise and in turn good physical condition.

I am assuming much of the work that Ronnie was going through on his initial return was "return to activity" which is the stage before "return to active exercise" the next stage is about bringing the exercise load up to the levels prior to contracting covid. 

Unfortunately I haven't seen anything specific to athletes, but it was clear that advancing too quickly is more dangerous than advancing slowly, but advancing too slowly can change a recovery time from around 8 weeks to as much as 12 weeks or more.