Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What Charlton pubs are still open?

Comments

• Options
    clive said:
    I've just completed a tour of the pubs in the Charlton area, except The Royal Oak, which i visited last week.
    An interesting afternoon, i'm sure people will find a pub which suits their requirements, perhaps not their budget.
    All the pubs excepted cash & card payment.
    How did you pay, then?
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    clive said:
    I've just completed a tour of the pubs in the Charlton area, except The Royal Oak, which i visited last week.
    An interesting afternoon, i'm sure people will find a pub which suits their requirements, perhaps not their budget.
    All the pubs excepted cash & card payment.
    How did you pay, then?
    Edited
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    does anyone drink in The Vanbrugh? Saw they did up the garden for the euros, but have never actually been myself
    Been in there and well worth a visit.  The Plume of Feathers is better, a three minutes walk way.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    does anyone drink in The Vanbrugh? Saw they did up the garden for the euros, but have never actually been myself
    Been in there a good few times but not recently....are the birds still out the back...anyone? A good stop off on the way to the Plume.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Been in there and well worth a visit.  The Plume of Feathers is better, a three minutes walk way.
    Hardys on the lower road is well worth a visit.
  • Options
    Bit further out, but if you're walking from Greenwich way The Crown on Trafalgar Rd is worth a stop off - good selection of beers.
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    Checking their website the Angerstein is still open. They had a review from a customer 2 days ago.
    There was no date though, so I thought that may have been an old review.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    I believe there will be a new pub/restaurant opening up on The Woolwich Road, part of the Valley House flats.

I really miss the old Lib club, it was never the same when it reopened. The Rose of Denmark on the other hand is hideous. Is it still ran by that old witch? A proper old school moany cow!
    Blimey, you are a well out-of-touch. 'Palace Andy' has been running it for about three or four years. I say running it, he sits on his arse all day and won't even pull a pint when he has dozens of thirsty punters. If you are referring to Irish Kath, she was one of the best publicans Charlton has ever seen.
    Count your change with her and Dermot! If you know what I mean ..
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    I've been in there a few times, but not pre match.
    It's decent enough.
  • Options
    As promised @Covered End I’m on the Thursday pub crawl oi oi
    I'm expecting a full report.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clive said:
    All the pubs accepted cash & card payment.
    Did you follow SheffieldRed?
    What was The White Horse like?
  • Options
    I’d rather drink in the crown than the Vanbrugh. Last time I went in the Vanbrugh the beer was very expensive and shite. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    You beat me to it.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    I remember when pubs went all day opening on sundays, a few of used to meet up on the 1st Sunday of the month in the Vanbrugh, then work our way to the William in the high road for the strippers 😀
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    I believe there will be a new pub/restaurant opening up on The Woolwich Road, part of the Valley House flats.

I really miss the old Lib club, it was never the same when it reopened. The Rose of Denmark on the other hand is hideous. Is it still ran by that old witch? A proper old school moany cow!
    Blimey, you are a well out-of-touch. 'Palace Andy' has been running it for about three or four years. I say running it, he sits on his arse all day and won't even pull a pint when he has dozens of thirsty punters. If you are referring to Irish Kath, she was one of the best publicans Charlton has ever seen.
    I'm going back maybe ten years. I'm always willing to give things another go.
    Possibly Irish Kath, she had a right pop at my missus once just for laughing. Then refused her entry as she wasn't carrying her season ticket. Something else happened once too, put me right off.
    Doesn't sound like her to be honest. May have been a barmaid above her station.
  • Options
    re: the Vanbrugh...  I'm halfway between it and the RAH..  The Van is fine...covered garden...not a great selection of beer and quite pricey, but close to Maze Hill for those who can't/don't want to walk to the ground... Personally I rarely go in there as am a beer snob. RE: the Crown...I think it's got new owners (again)...anyway, they do have some good beer in there BUT am not sure that they're open until the evening...historically it used to have a bit of a reputation, so licence doesn't (or didn't) allow it to open during the day...am not sure if this applies to weekends though. If you're planning to go there, would check first...  Plume has a lovely pub feel to it, but not always great beer...

Cheers
  • Options
    re: the Vanbrugh...  I'm halfway between it and the RAH..  The Van is fine...covered garden...not a great selection of beer and quite pricey, but close to Maze Hill for those who can't/don't want to walk to the ground... Personally I rarely go in there as am a beer snob. RE: the Crown...I think it's got new owners (again)...anyway, they do have some good beer in there BUT am not sure that they're open until the evening...historically it used to have a bit of a reputation, so licence doesn't (or didn't) allow it to open during the day...am not sure if this applies to weekends though. If you're planning to go there, would check first...  Plume has a lovely pub feel to it, but not always great beer...

Cheers
    Bbno has a new place opening a little way down past Meantime. They're having a beer festival in Sept.
  • Options
    edited August 2021

Cheers
    RAH ? Royal Albert Hall ? :smile:
    Ah, River Ale House.
  • Options
    @PopIcon indeed, I have my tkt for the Friday eve session 👍🏻 Cheers
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2021
    The Vanbrugh Tavern used to be called The Duke of Edinburgh and it was where my dad was having a pint the day I was born in St. Alpheges’ Hospital on Vanbrugh Hill. 
  • Options

The beer hatch won’t be ready, so I think they’re taking the window out!
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    Croydon said:
    I remember when pubs went all day opening on sundays, a few of used to meet up on the 1st Sunday of the month in the Vanbrugh, then work our way to the William in the high road for the strippers 😀
    Disgusting.
  • Options
    Bartrams and The Fans' Bar

Also I hear you can get 20% off every drink if you are a season ticket holder.

I'll be in the Radical
    Every drink ? wow
    20% off every drink...now that's well Radical!🙂🍻👍
  • Options
    Visited the Green Goddess @ Charlton House! The Kernel apricot saison they have on tap is exceptional and their choice of cans is really varied, I grabbed three to have over the weekend. Plus there's what seems to be some sort of CND strumalong occurring outside, which is a Big Vibe if you ask me 
  • Options
    Any danger of the white swan coming back to life?