Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Big Match revisited ITV4 today 6pm

2»

Comments

• Options
    Whoa - that was really odd - I knew what Brian Moore was going to say on tonight’s revisit before he even said it…they are selling Derek Hales - I was (and apparently still am) distraught! £280 Grand and Nelson says he has made bids for three players. Funny that - I don’t remember if any turned up or whether they trousered the cash…..
  • Options
    Arkwright said:
    Whoa - that was really odd - I knew what Brian Moore was going to say on tonight’s revisit before he even said it…they are selling Derek Hales - I was (and apparently still am) distraught! £280 Grand and Nelson says he has made bids for three players. Funny that - I don’t remember if any turned up or whether they trousered the cash…..
    Seem to remember we spent 65k on Dick Tydeman, 10k on Hugh McAuley and picked up a free from Gillingham - Bill Fogarty? This left 205k, but no doubt this was only paper profit, swallowed up by the high inflation of the late 1970’s.
  • Options
    Arkwright said:
    Seem to remember we spent 65k on Dick Tydeman, 10k on Hugh McAuley and picked up a free from Gillingham - Bill Fogarty? This left 205k, but no doubt this was only paper profit, swallowed up by the high inflation of the late 1970’s.
    Now I had a distinct memory (god knows whether it’s right) that Tydeman and McAuley played in the same team as Hales - maybe that was when he came back - but the really interesting thing is that I think that Brian Moore was a director at Gillingham at the time so that glint in his eye about Derek going could have been - that’s a lot of cash - we’ll have some of that!
  • Options
    Arkwright said:
    Arkwright said:
    Now I had a distinct memory (god knows whether it’s right) that Tydeman and McAuley played in the same team as Hales - maybe that was when he came back - but the really interesting thing is that I think that Brian Moore was a director at Gillingham at the time so that glint in his eye about Derek going could have been - that’s a lot of cash - we’ll have some of that!
    Hugh McAuley had gone by the time Hales came back, but Tydeman and Hales played together in 78-81.
  • Options
    Fulham v Charlton 1977 currently on.

Marsh & Best playing for Fulham.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Macronate said:
    Fulham v Charlton 1977 currently on.

Marsh & Best playing for Fulham.
    Thanks for that, caught the last few minutes - my first ever away game.
    Loving Keithy P attire 

• Options
    Just watched Episode 23 of Series 6 (screened 26 Feb), which features:

- a very tasty hat-trick from Jim Melrose for Leicester in a final game of a 1980/81 season relegation decider with Norwich. What a fantastic signing he was by Lenny for £50,000;

- Paul Miller and Don McAllister treading the boards for Spurs in a high scoring game at West Brom a week before the 1981 Cup Final against Man City;

- a typically laconic Ron Saunders interview on the team bus after Villa had just won the league, followed by an incredibly gracious tribute to him and his team from Bobby Robson straight after Ipswich had just blown their title chances by losing at Boro - what a gent.