Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Big Match revisited ITV4 today 6pm

Cafc v Hull 1976. The good old days when we could only dream of top flight football. 

Comments

• Options
    remember Killer's goal like it was yesterday, great wing play from Paddy Powell.
  • Options
    remember Killer's goal like it was yesterday, great wing play from Paddy Powell.
    Oh, you've spoilt the surprise now 😉. 
  • Options

And a superb pass from Phil Warman for Paddy
  • Options
    Is that the one when they had a tiger cub on the pitch prior to kick off?
  • Options
    So do I but I've seen it about 20 times since.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    The good old days when we could only dream of top flight football. 
    Like now you mean?
  • Options
    I know im wrong here but I always think this is the match when the ref awarded a goal when the ball bounced off the wall to the side of the goal. 
    Paddy always a gent. 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Solidgone said:
    I know im wrong here but I always think this is the match when the ref awarded a goal when the ball bounced off the wall to the side of the goal. 
    Paddy always a gent. 
    No that was Peter Hunt v Oldham back in 1972 
    Thanks. But somehow I relate it to the Hull match I can’t shake it off. Be prepared for me to repeat the same question in another year. Maybe I should add this to the you know when you’re getting old thread 🥸
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SE_7EVEN said:
    At the very last seconds of the coverage I can be seen jumping around in the semi circle....I think...as above, maybe should  on the getting old thread 🤔
    As in total celebration, or    come on I'll take the lot of ya!
  • Options
    SE_7EVEN said:
    At the very last seconds of the coverage I can be seen jumping around in the semi circle....I think...as above, maybe should  on the getting old thread 🤔
    So was I. 
    I had a fantastic head of long blonde hair back then as a 12 year old. 
    I don’t have to worry about washing that now. 
  • Options
    I was somewhere near the floodlight in the "sam bartram entrance " corner 

I was always amazed how the perilously erected " gantry " on the east terrace stayed up for the match not to mention the ubiquitous cables that would be deemed an health and safety risk now 

Great memories 
  • Options
    Just watched the goal again and the part played by powell and it reminded me that we just expected killer or flash would score, that powell would be tracking up and down the wing beating the defender and crossing the ball. We wouldn’t always win of course but we’d start the day thinking we would.
  • Options
    Agree, great memories. I was at the game at the front of the East terrace. Love the interview with Derek. Oh how times have changed.
  • Options
    Proper football in those days, 1-11 on the shirts, keepers wearing green shirts and the same shorts and socks as the rest of the team. Superb.
  • Options
    If Branson or Bezos or some other zillionaire ever developed time travel, I’d love to go back to one of the night games at The Valley in that era (apart from the 5-1 loss to Luton LOL). It’s funny how the covered end was deafening when you were inside it, but just gave off a distant rumble from the outside. 
  • Options
    Didn't Hales complete the hat trick with his shin pads in his hands?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes
  • Options
    On now, home to Leicester end of the 1980 season. 
  • Options
    ....and now they are at home to Charlton, already doomed to the third division

Sounds familiar!
  • Options
    ....and now they are at home to Charlton, already doomed to the third division

Sounds familiar!
    Don’t remember that kit.
  • Options
    My error, away. End of an awful season.
  • Options
    Enjoyed seeing that, even if it was from one of the worst seasons ever - Lawrie Madden in Roy Keane mode, Gary Lineker scuffing wide from 8 yards out, and Steve Gritt with hair. Looked like a miniscule turnout from us not surprisingly.

The goal of the season had Glenn Hoddle in first and second place, if you ever wonder where English football went wrong at that time, the fact that he was treated with the suspicion that Grealish currently enjoys says it all.

• Options
    That was comedy gold from Laurie Madden. I was at the Palace Liverpool game me Dad took me and me sister cos she fancied Kenny Daglish. Halfway up at the Holmsdale ended up wanting Palace to win as they had Flanagan and also the racist abuse aimed at Vince Hilare. After 10 years of watching Charlton it was the first top flite game I'd seen
  • Options
    McCartney said:
    That was comedy gold from Laurie Madden. I was at the Palace Liverpool game me Dad took me and me sister cos she fancied Kenny Daglish. Halfway up at the Holmsdale ended up wanting Palace to win as they had Flanagan and also the racist abuse aimed at Vince Hilare. After 10 years of watching Charlton it was the first top flite game I'd seen

There was me thinking that the only female that fancied Dalglish was his missus.