Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Loan Shortlist

2»

Comments

• Options
    Sage said:
    Considering we didn’t get Ellis Simms, and I banged on about him for ages last year, and he went on and done well at promoted Blackpool….

Another young striker I would like to see us bring in is Ademipo Odubeko.

A 6ft tall, quick, and prolific goal scorer for West Ham U18 and U23 last season.

Our relationship with West Ham due to Cullen, and our location, could be a big factor if we are interested. And we ought to be keeping an eye on his progress and availability.
    The Simms issue reinforces my opinion that we (i.e. Adkins) should not be too eager to sign too many players NOW . It might be better to see how we progress and then strengthen at Christmas. Simms joined Blackpool in January this year and was a perfect fit in the Tangerine jigsaw. Arguably he was the difference between another L1 season and promotion, 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Sage said:
    Considering we didn’t get Ellis Simms, and I banged on about him for ages last year, and he went on and done well at promoted Blackpool….

A 6ft tall, quick, and prolific goal scorer for West Ham U18 and U23 last season.

Our relationship with West Ham due to Cullen, and our location, could be a big factor if we are interested. And we ought to be keeping an eye on his progress and availability.
    The Simms issue reinforces my opinion that we (i.e. Adkins) should not be too eager to sign too many players NOW . It might be better to see how we progress and then strengthen at Christmas. Simms joined Blackpool in January this year and was a perfect fit in the Tangerine jigsaw. Arguably he was the difference between another L1 season and promotion, 
    Is that the Ellis Simms that was on LOAN?

PMSL LOL LMAO ROFL 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Sage said:

PMSL LOL LMAO ROFL 
    T W A T  :D .. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Sage said:

PMSL LOL LMAO ROFL 
    T W A T
    Just destroy any argument you think you had pal.  Absolutely clueless, you don't even know what your real argument is, other than you don't like loans.  But who, really does? 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    This has got confusing, what’s the problem with Simms, or loans, or Odubeko as an option?

We got in Gallagher at 18 years old for what was meant to be for the season after winning Chelsea’s academy player of the year.

Loans can be fantastic, my suggestion was just that, a suggestion as he has incredible potential at his age.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Sage said:

PMSL LOL LMAO ROFL 
    T W A T
    Just destroy any argument you think you had pal.  Absolutely clueless, you don't even know what your real argument is, other than you don't like loans.  But who, really does? 
    read what I said in my last post which was obviously wasted on an illiterate and argumentative chump like you .. in a perverse way we agree, I HATE borrowing other club's players, but reluctantly accept it as a fact of life ..
    BUT, I would far prefer that before bringing in other club's misfits, hopefuls  or never will bes, WE GIVE A FEW OF OUR OWN KIDS A CHANCE .. that is the nub of my argument .. GOT IT .. P A L ? 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Sage said:

PMSL LOL LMAO ROFL 
    T W A T
    read what I said in my last post which was obviously wasted on an illiterate and argumentative chump like you .. in a perverse way we agree, I HATE borrowing other club's players, but reluctantly accept it as a fact of life ..
    BUT, I would far prefer that before bringing in other club's misfits, hopefuls  or never will bes, WE GIVE A FEW OF OUR OWN KIDS A CHANCE .. that is the nub of my argument .. GOT IT .. P A L ? 
    For the last time, honestly, which kids do you want to see given a chance?

Which kids were deprived of a chance last season due to us signing loans.

There aren't any, due to 10 years of neglected. 

How much of a chance do you give 4 or 5 18 year olds?   3 games then panic before the window shuts?  January and be well behind?  To the end of the season then say oh well? 

Calling people names, especially illiterate, when your response is "lol" is not the big win you think it is "chump". 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Ah, I see where this has now got to…

Sometimes we have to face the reality that some of the young players from other clubs, normally clubs in the Premier League, have better young players than what we do and so are of the quality we require.

We have a fantastic academy, but we don’t produce young players who are of the quality of the first team as often as we may think or like. Sometimes bringing in other young players from other clubs are good because they are better than what we have coming through.
    Exactly and in some alternative universe Grant, Gomez, Konsa, Palmer, Phillips, Cousins, Fox, Poyet etc would be playing for our first team and Morgan, Doughty, Sarmiento would be just breaking through.

The last, I was going to say 10,but 100 years that hasn't been the case.  It's going to take a bloody long time to fix.  Hopefully the large number of 1st year pros just signed is just the start.

It won't fix over night and you can't play players that don't exist.  No matter how much you want to. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sage said:
    This has got confusing, what’s the problem with Simms, or loans, or Odubeko as an option?

We got in Gallagher at 18 years old for what what meant to be the season after winning Chelsea’s academy player of the year.

Loans can be fantastic, my suggestion was just that, a suggestion as he has incredible potential at his age.
    I'll briefly restate what I have typed a few times already .. Gallagher is a good case in point ..  he was playing beautifully for us, star man, we were so dependant on him, team morale was good, just recall for example beating Leeds at the Valley with him in blinding form.
     At Christmas he goes, we have no say in the matter, he is not our player, our form and morale fall to pieces and we end up being relegated after one season .. not all down to the loss of one player of course, but i m o he was the hub of the team and just went where his parent club thought the grass was greener, nothing Bowyer could do (yes in a different world he may have been lost to injury but that would have been more bearable as far as I am concerned) 
    THIS is the whole problem with the loan system, we were dependant on the good will of another club who really had no good will towards us, and I'd far rather keep loans to a minimum and not rely on the whims of (e.g.) Chelsea F C.  The loss of Gallagher, was a body blow from which, I'd argue, we still have to recover.
  • Options
    Sage said:

Sometimes we have to face the reality that some of the young players from other clubs, normally clubs in the Premier League, have better young players than what we do and so are of the quality we require.

We have a fantastic academy, but we don’t produce young players who are of the quality of the first team as often as we may think or like. Sometimes bringing in other young players from other clubs are good because they are better than what we have coming through.
    One example unfortunately being the FA Youth Cup

Last time I remember us being close to doing well was when the likes of Tobi Sho-Silva etc. went to Old Trafford and narrowly lost in the Quarter-Finals, dont think we've gotten close again.

Whilst the Charlton Academy is very decent, there are other Academies out there that are sadly much better than ours, partly because they're unfortunately willing to pay these kids silly amounts of money before they're even close to their first team (take Jamal Blackman).

Even if we become a Cat.1 Academy as is the aim, there is nothing to say that we'll be overly competitive for a few years
  • Options
    Sage said:

Last time I remember us being close to doing well was when the likes of Tobi Sho-Silva etc. went to Old Trafford and narrowly lost in the Quarter-Finals, dont think we've gotten close again.

Whilst the Charlton Academy is very decent, there are other Academies out there that are sadly much better than ours, partly because they're unfortunately willing to pay these kids silly amounts of money before they're even close to their first team (take Jamal Blackman).

Even if we become a Cat.1 Academy as is the aim, there is nothing to say that we'll be overly competitive for a few years
    I went to that game at Old Trafford.  We were brilliant and it was so obvious that most of our players would at least make a living out of football, which they since have.

Poyet was heads and shoulders the best player on the pitch, Barnby for United was a distant second. What ever happened to those 2?
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Sage said:

I went to that game at Old Trafford.  We were brilliant and it was so obvious that most of our players would at least make a living out of football, which they since have.

Poyet was heads and shoulders the best player on the pitch, Barnby for United was a distant second. What ever happened to those 2?
    Think Barmby ended up playing in America , never really got anywhere over here. 

• Options
    Tyler Blackett is the biggest name to get anywhere from that Man Utd team

Is in the Championship with Nottm Forest
  • Options
    Sage said:

We got in Gallagher at 18 years old for what what meant to be the season after winning Chelsea’s academy player of the year.

I'll briefly restate what I have typed a few times already .. Gallagher is a good case in point ..  he was playing beautifully for us, star man, we were so dependant on him, team morale was good, just recall for example beating Leeds at the Valley with him in blinding form.
     At Christmas he goes, we have no say in the matter, he is not our player, our form and morale fall to pieces and we end up being relegated after one season .. not all down to the loss of one player of course, but i m o he was the hub of the team and just went where his parent club thought the grass was greener, nothing Bowyer could do (yes in a different world he may have been lost to injury but that would have been more bearable as far as I am concerned) 
    THIS is the whole problem with the loan system, we were dependant on the good will of another club who really had no good will towards us, and I'd far rather keep loans to a minimum and not rely on the whims of (e.g.) Chelsea F C.  The loss of Gallagher, was a body blow from which, I'd argue, we still have to recover.
    Yes, in the case of being reliant on him because he turned out to be so good. He was our star man away from Taylor.

However, the form and everything that happened since also shows just how far away some of our own young players were, at the time, from the standard and quality needed of the first team. We had to bring in someone like Gallagher because we simply didn’t have anyone good enough to step up.

So much happened in that season that as much as it hurt us, losing Gallagher was not the reason we went down.

He was in fact a reason and example of why loans can be so good, which we have got the majority of them right. Yes, we are always then held to what the parent club does and wants. But that’s similar to Cullen, or Bielik, or Dasilva, or Maatsen, or whoever else it might be, without certain loans in previous seasons, our successes that we have had, as few as they may be, may not have happened without them.

They’re often signed for two reasons. One is because they are a type of player we need and a loan is the way we can because of being unable to sign them permanently. The other is because they’re a young player, who is usually better than the young players we already have in our academy, and they need to get out and play men’s football just in the way our young players often go to non-league to play men’s, competitive football.
  • Options
    Tyler Blackett is the biggest name to get anywhere from that Man Utd team

Is in the Championship with Nottm Forest
    I was obviously sat with united fans and they were openly mocking him like he was some sort of charity case.  The one they were all creaming them selves about was the Dutch winger. I can't remember his name. The number ten went to Cardiff under OGS but I really can't say I have seen many of the names crop up.  There center half was massive though.  He looked liked Jason Leonard and he was only "18".
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Here's the lineups from that game, almost all our starting 11 are/were pro players (THD and Poyet have since retired).

That's really unusual to see and if you look at other years in recent history I doubt you'll find another of our sides as successful as that. No doubt we've had a few better individuals like Gomez, Lookman and Shelvey, but for almost a full team to be pro is very impressive.

https://www.charltonlive.co.uk/2012/03/02/fa-youth-cup-match-report-olly-groome/

Charlton: Phillips; Cousins, Fox, Ajayi, Lennon (Osborne 82); Poyet, Holmes-Dennis (Gerard 79), Muldoon, Harriott; Sho-Silva, Piggott (Azeez 77).

Subs (not used): Derry, Brown

Goals: Sho-Silva 45, 78

Booked: Fox 47 (foul on Barmby), Poyet 90 (+10) (foul on Daehli)

Man Utd: Sutherland; Grimshaw, Blackett, Ionnou, McCullough; Barmby (Gorre 90(+5), Rudge (Ekangamene 89), Hendrie (Wilson 55), Van Velzen; Byrne, Daehli.

Subs (not used): Jacob, Rowley, Gorre.

Goals: Barmby 42, Van Velzen 77, Wilson 90(+7)

Booked: Blackett 85 (foul on Gerard)
  • Options
    Not bad from us

Championship: Fox, Ajayi and Phillips
    League One: Cousins and Pigott
    League Two: Sho-Silva
    Conference: Lennon
    Conference South: Azeez

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Here's the lineups from that game, almost all our starting 11 are/were pro players (THD and Poyet have since retired).

That's really unusual to see and if you look at other years in recent history I doubt you'll find another of our sides as successful as that. No doubt we've had a few better individuals like Gomez, Lookman and Shelvey, but for almost a full team to be pro is very impressive.

https://www.charltonlive.co.uk/2012/03/02/fa-youth-cup-match-report-olly-groome/

Charlton: Phillips; Cousins, Fox, Ajayi, Lennon (Osborne 82); Poyet, Holmes-Dennis (Gerard 79), Muldoon, Harriott; Sho-Silva, Piggott (Azeez 77).

Subs (not used): Derry, Brown

Goals: Sho-Silva 45, 78

Booked: Fox 47 (foul on Barmby), Poyet 90 (+10) (foul on Daehli)

Man Utd: Sutherland; Grimshaw, Blackett, Ionnou, McCullough; Barmby (Gorre 90(+5), Rudge (Ekangamene 89), Hendrie (Wilson 55), Van Velzen; Byrne, Daehli.

Subs (not used): Jacob, Rowley, Gorre.

Goals: Barmby 42, Van Velzen 77, Wilson 90(+7)

Booked: Blackett 85 (foul on Gerard)
    I know its about 10 years ago but I am sure that's wrong.  I am convinced Holmes-Dennis didn't start it was Gérard and Muldoon on the sides of the diamond and he came on as a sub. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cirkin from Spurs would be a good left back option for us.
  • Options
    Sage said:

We lost Gallagher because we didn't pay the loan installments. That was a other one of ESI fuck ups. 
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    Might be a bit of a gamble and probably unlikely villa would want to loan him but Carney Chukwuemenka would be an interesting one to go for. Not 18 until October but he is very good and I'd be interested to see how he did in L1.
    Do you sell letters for names on shirts by any chance?
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    The other potential group that we could look for loans we will not know for a while.

Who is going to be on the fringes in  Championship squads ?

Should we keep a couple of loan places open for an Andrew Shinnie or Jayden Stockley type signing? 
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    Might be a bit of a gamble and probably unlikely villa would want to loan him but Carney Chukwuemenka would be an interesting one to go for. Not 18 until October but he is very good and I'd be interested to see how he did in L1.
    Do you sell letters for names on shirts by any chance?

Yep I recommended Reza to Roland as well £££ B)
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I'm sure Gallen has contact within the big clubs that he nurtures with care. Millar won't have done us any harm and made his job harder. Levitt and Smith possibly less so. I suspect that overall we are in credit in terms of our reputation for developing players though.
  • Options
    Lincs your argument about short term success but then they move on is silly. What about Pope, Gomez, Konsa, Shelvey, Lookman, Doughty, Grant. All players who came through our youth teams and were sold on, so in that respect was no different except the club got money for them. If a loan player is going to improve us it's a no brainer. We should definitely be using our youth system, but when they are good enough not just because they came through our academy. 
    Those you mention have all moved on, mostly quite a while back, as you say for money which is long spent/wasted.

The subject of loaning players is a matter of opinion.  I am sick of having to depend on MY Club acting as a rehearsal/audition gig for the trialling of players from 'bigger' clubs and that is why I am so pleased we have signed Stockley. At least if he has success before Christmas, Preston can't move him on to another club for a bigger fee
    I agree to an extent, we definitely need to move towards having a solid core of 14-15 players who can stay here for the next 3-4 years. That's not easy to achieve in League 1 because obviously we want to go up and signing players who can play in the Championship right now isn't easy because those players will be wanted by Championship clubs. That's why it's so important to get up because realistically the only time you can have a proper rebuild is when you are in the Champ. Then we can have that core squad and hopefully just improve with 3-4 perms and a few loans every season. 

I think there's a place of loans though, you cannot argue with our success using it over the last few years. I see the argument that it shouldn't be used but it enables you to sign players of quality you couldn't otherwise afford. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Bump .

I thought this was a good thread . Has anyone got some new ideas as we move into the next phase of the window ?
  • Options
    ozaddick said:
    Sage said:

We lost Gallagher because we didn't pay the loan installments. That was a other one of ESI fuck ups. 
    Far be it from me to defend ESI and all their misdeeds, but ESI didn't actually become a "person of significant control" of Charlton Athletic until 23 Jan 2020  (https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/01788466/filing-history )   Although Southall was swanning around The Valley as soon as ESI announced their takeover on 29 Nov 2019, the club was still under Belgian ownership. So surely the bulk of Gallagher's loan time was down to Duchatelet to pay the installments?

I do remember that at the time there were other theories as to why Gallagher was moved to Swansea.  So I would be really interested to know your source, @ozaddick, because if Southall leased a fleet of Range Rovers & a Thames-side luxury flat instead of paying for the services of an outstanding young player, whose loss contributed towards our relegation, it will give me yet another reason to detest ESI & all who sailed in her.  And might also be useful info for @PragueAddick and his dossier-compilers.
  • Options
    N01R4M said:
    ozaddick said:
    Sage said:

Far be it from me to defend ESI and all their misdeeds, but ESI didn't actually become a "person of significant control" of Charlton Athletic until 23 Jan 2020  (https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/01788466/filing-history )   Although Southall was swanning around The Valley as soon as ESI announced their takeover on 29 Nov 2019, the club was still under Belgian ownership. So surely the bulk of Gallagher's loan time was down to Duchatelet to pay the installments?

I do remember that at the time there were other theories as to why Gallagher was moved to Swansea.  So I would be really interested to know your source, @ozaddick, because if Southall leased a fleet of Range Rovers & a Thames-side luxury flat instead of paying for the services of an outstanding young player, whose loss contributed towards our relegation, it will give me yet another reason to detest ESI & all who sailed in her.  And might also be useful info for @PragueAddick and his dossier-compilers.
    Hi mate. 

I can't recall where I'd read that, I'm sure it wasn't just on CL, but I do remember thinking how bad it sounded. Apologies but I can't give any extra details as I don't remember them.