Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mason Burstow - progress at Chelsea (p47)

Comments

• Options
    That would have been a tough game to come on to and pick up the pace of in a short space of time, for anyone, let alone somebody making their league debut (?) in that atmosphere and against the team that’s top of the league. From what little I’ve seen of him (2 games now) he looks like he could be the real deal but we’ve all seen plenty of those over the years, some really have been, many haven’t. I like what Jacko and Jason have done with introducing him but it’s down to Mason to seize the opportunity and, somehow, given the ‘package’ of how he took that goal in the FA Cup match, he looks to me like somebody who will. 
  • Options
    Thought it was a decent cameo from him, didn’t look lost or out of place.
    Did really well. He was brought on to be a professional, winning headers, chasing defenders etc. Couldn’t tell he was a junior on that showing. Will get the opportunity to impress Jacko with Stockley suspension and cup matches coming up.
  • Options
    I know, shocking punctuation and grammar, let's pick apart an 18 year olds grasp of the queens' English, if he doesn't proofread his tweets he'll never score, language skills are vital in the modern game. 

All the modern greats like Ian Rush, Paul Merson, Peter Beardsley, Gazza, Tevez and Rooney did ok despite being ugly and thick.   

• Options
    ads said:
    I know, shocking punctuation and grammar, let's pick apart an 18 year olds grasp of the queens' English, if he doesn't proofread his tweets he'll never score, language skills are vital in the modern game. 

All the modern greats like Ian Rush, Paul Merson, Peter Beardsley, Gazza, Tevez and Rooney did ok despite being ugly and thick.   

Rooney did get caught chewing his crayons...  amongst other stuff!
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    ads said:

Think the irony has been lost on you, I wasn’t…

• Options
    AndyG said:
    Fancy him to score tonight !
    Last goalscorer, 2-0 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    I didn't realise how tall he is. He came on and instantly won a few headers, something Davison struggled to do. Looks very quick as well, so not just a finisher, he looks a real athlete.

Felt like he had his head down when he received the ball and tried to take everybody on, but it's his first league game in front of a packed Valley so I'm sure he was a bit overawed by the occasion. Hopefully he starts to feel a bit more comfortable because I know from seeing his goals for the U23's that he has incredible composure. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I didn't realise how tall he is. He came on and instantly won a few headers, something Davison struggled to do. Looks very quick as well, so not just a finisher, he looks a real athlete.

Felt like he had his head down when he received the ball and tried to take everybody on, but it's his first league game in front of a packed Valley so I'm sure he was a bit overawed by the occasion. Hopefully he starts to feel a bit more comfortable because I know from seeing his goals for the U23's that he has incredible composure. 
    He definitely tried to do too much there but I think he was just desperate to make as much of an impact as possible and make an impression, which tbf he did as his work rate off the ball was great too. I also noticed when Wash scored Burstow was busting a gut to get to the back post - I bet he was desperate to be laid up for an easy finish
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I noticed how good his positioning was for Washington's goal. Running in at the middle of the goal ready for a tap in or rebound.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Yes he deserves his chance, but let's face it it's because we're light up top, due to the Stockley ban and the Ronnie fiasco. Plus our transfer policy in the summer being geared around 1 up top, not 2
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    How long is he under contract for? Whatever it is, it needs to be extended  :)
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Be a good idea if someone told the OS he is a Striker... they have Mason listed as a Defender...and Deji as a Forward..Oooops!!  B)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Be a good idea if someone told the OS he is a Striker... they have Mason listed as a Defender...and Deji as a Forward..Oooops!!  B)
    A real fanatic would have also noticed back when their numbers on the o.s were reversed too. 

Basically someone's updated with the right name and face to the wrong position & number.
  • Options
    New tradition. 🧐 🤔 🤨 
  • Options
    I can see him in our starting XI on a more regular basis by the end of the season, he certainly looks like he's got it - saw his goal the other night, made it look very easy.

Let's face it, we all love a home grown player, but a home grown striker (who actually scores) would be off the charts
  • Options
    I can see him in our starting XI on a more regular basis by the end of the season, he certainly looks like he's got it - saw his goal the other night, made it look very easy.

Let's face it, we all love a home grown player, but a home grown striker (who actually scores) would be off the charts
    And off to the Prem within a year or so.

That said under TS we have a better chance of keeping players. Need to get back to the Championship and keep progressing as a club.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    New tradition. 🧐 🤔 🤨 
    Nothing wrong with this phrase in my opinion. Some might say it’s an oxymoron, but I disagree.
    The act of giving the framed shirt to academy graduates who make their league debut was, when done for the first time, explicitly stated to be something the club wanted to continue doing. Now they’ve had the opportunity to demonstrate their commitment to it, it’s appropriate to highlight the fact that this is an act that was intended to become traditional, and that the tradition is being honoured for the first time. This very act has caused it to go from being a ceremony intended for repeating, to becoming a new tradition.
    At some point, every long standing tradition became a new tradition for the first time. If the intent to continue was there on the second iteration, it’s appropriate to say that it became a new tradition at that point.
    It may not yet be a long standing tradition, and it may end up not being something the club sticks with, so the tradition may die, but all traditions have to start somewhere.
    😎
    Well argued sir, but the use of the word ‘tradition’ and ‘new’ together is a contradiction. It may well become a tradition over the years, and I hope it does as marks a real achievement, but at the moment it is a new initiative. 
    Give it a few decades and it may properly be called a tradition.
  • Options
    Fair enough @Redrobo
    I understand your point, but I disagree that it’s a contradiction: If something is a tradition, then surely it follows that at some point, it became a tradition. At that instant in time at least, it must, by definition, be a new tradition.

I think, essentially, we just disagree on how long it takes for something to become a tradition - but there’s no hard and fast number attached to the definition, so we’re both right. 😉

Language is just so fascinating.

• Options
    Scoham said:

And off to the Prem within a year or so.

That said under TS we have a better chance of keeping players. Need to get back to the Championship and keep progressing as a club.
    We have a better chance because contracts are being managed more proactively, but until we can get back to the Championship, we're never going to be able to hold on to anyone reasonable good