Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Dobson - Hungarians say transfer on hold til the summer (p61)

Comments

• Options
    se9addick said:
    Gribbo said:
    stonemuse said:
    Gribbo said:
    Sounds to me like "Pre-contract" is just a new phrase banded about by people trying to sound itk.

Surely the word is CONTRACT and the main issue is whether or not Dobbo has signed a CONTRACT which means he'll be at another club after this season. Other issues could be how well worded the CONTRACT is, or if there are any get-out clauses for any party (Dobbo - Other club - Or even possibly Charlton). But can't see any point in arguing about it at the moment because, as someone else has already said, no one on here knows the wording of any CONTRACT or if it's even recognised by anyone anywhere.

As much as I like Dobbo tho, I've personally moved on from this and still feel there's quite a lot to look forward to next term and beyond, with or without him.
    Except he is under CONTRACT at Charlton and cannot sign another CONTRACT elsewhere, hence him signing a PRE CONTRACT.
    Yup, which is allowed because he only has less than six months remaining on his Charlton contract 
    So in the last six months of a contract, you can sign a bit of paper with another club (call it what you will - contract / pre-contract). Assume you can leave at that time and get your photo taken in the new clubs shirt?

Genuine question

Shit times if that is the case....
    Only if you’re signing a pre-contract with a club outside of England. 
    Thought he was meant to have flown out to Budapest with a 3 year CONTRACT in place at beginning of Feb, around the same time as posing with their shirt, but Jones put the kybosh on it?
  • Options
    What if Dobson's had a change of heart and now doesn't want to go to Hungary? just guessing but the Hungarian club wouldn't want to be saddled with a player who doesn't want to be there either and draining the wage bill for 3 years either so guessing maybe it could be cancelled if compensation is agreed. Or he could be sold back for a small fee once the contract starts?

Didn't this happen to us back in the 90's we signed was it Joey Beauchamp who signed for us one summer and then left almost immediately and never played for us?
    And Jeremy Goss left us for Hearts soon after signing on a free - I wonder if we got any compensation?

I think Beauchamp went to West Ham.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    se9addick said:
    Gribbo said:
    stonemuse said:
    Gribbo said:
    Sounds to me like "Pre-contract" is just a new phrase banded about by people trying to sound itk.

Surely the word is CONTRACT and the main issue is whether or not Dobbo has signed a CONTRACT which means he'll be at another club after this season. Other issues could be how well worded the CONTRACT is, or if there are any get-out clauses for any party (Dobbo - Other club - Or even possibly Charlton). But can't see any point in arguing about it at the moment because, as someone else has already said, no one on here knows the wording of any CONTRACT or if it's even recognised by anyone anywhere.

As much as I like Dobbo tho, I've personally moved on from this and still feel there's quite a lot to look forward to next term and beyond, with or without him.
    Except he is under CONTRACT at Charlton and cannot sign another CONTRACT elsewhere, hence him signing a PRE CONTRACT.
    Yup, which is allowed because he only has less than six months remaining on his Charlton contract 
    So in the last six months of a contract, you can sign a bit of paper with another club (call it what you will - contract / pre-contract). Assume you can leave at that time and get your photo taken in the new clubs shirt?

Genuine question

Thought he was meant to have flown out to Budapest with a 3 year CONTRACT in place at beginning of Feb, around the same time as posing with their shirt, but Jones put the kybosh on it?
    He signed a pre-contractual agreement. The three year term will bring on June 1st. 
  • Options
    edited March 6
    fenaddick said:
    fenaddick said:
    fenaddick said:
    There are hundreds if not thousands of transfers that happen via pre-contract agreements every summer. I have never seen one fail.
    Well that is interesting, but with all due respect I think you need to give us some insight into how you are getting to see them.

And then the detail, like, are most of them signed several months ahead like this one? 

Actually I can think of one involving Charlton. A very notorious one. Joe Gomez. 
    I follow a broad range of different clubs and leagues, that's how. They usually get announced a decent chunk in advance. Aaron Ramsey for example signed his in February before moving from Arsenal to Juventus. Speaking of the present a few Scottish teams have made the most of being a different country and have signed players with pre contracts from English teams, most notably Rangers are signing someone from Norwich.

Joe Gomez wasn't a pre-contract agreement, he was bought for a fee which is very different.
    Ok fair enough, I wasn’t aware of the extent of such pre-  agreed transfers, which I suppose must be backed by some documentation. I was aware of transfers where the player is loaned back to his existing club for the rest of the season. 

Sure Gomez went for a fee. The thing was, it wasn’t a great fee, and it was rather odd that there was no apparent rival to Liverpool for his signing. A Lifer later reported meeting his agent who boasted that he had agreed a deal with the brilliant Katrien Meire in advance. Nobody called it that at the time but I guess it was a pre-contract. ;)
    Sorry to pick you up Prague but it wasn’t a pre-contract and I think this might be why you’re struggling to grasp the concept of them. Liverpool and Charlton agreed a fee, no matter how murky that’s a standard transfer even when agreed in advance. 

A pre-contract is purely between player and club. We tend not to see them at Charltons level because we aren’t recruiting from outside of the Football League so we can’t utilise them. They’re very common in smaller European leagues (like Scotland, Hungary etc.) and for big name transfers, for example Mbappe will probably sign one for Real Madrid in the coming months. 
    No need to apologise, you make a number of helpful points which I hadnt grasped. I understand now why the Gomez deal was different, although I would still say it wasn’t standard. The agent apparently said that Liverpool had first refusal to table a deal and Charlton could not entertain other offers. I’m less sure whether the fee itself was pre-agreed ( it’s horrible how long ago that was) but Meire had stuffed us because there was no chance of other clubs forcing up the price.
    Wasn't the story that Gomez could have left at the end of his contract, but wanted us to get some compensation so signed a new contract with a relatively low release fee built into it that Liverpool found out about/the agent engineered? 
  • Options
    edited March 6
    995632 said:
    Gribbo said:
    stonemuse said:
    Gribbo said:

Genuine question

Don't understand why, despite numerous real life examples, some people are acting like a pre-contract agreement is some conspiracy theory/little green man type concept that doesn't exist. 
    I don't think that at all mate, just would've thought you'd sign a conventional contract that specifies the date of signing, and that you'll become a player for the new club on such-and-such date (a couple of months down the line), followed by the usual jargon that is in a conventional contract, as opposed to a separate contract entirely that says you're "Pre-contracted" to sign a conventional contract in 2 / 3 / 4 months time.

As that ain't the case, is it also not the case that there will more than likely be an opportunity for any involved party to pull the plug on it, in the time that the "pre-contract" expires, and the conventional contract needs to be signed, without having to pay a "7 figure fee"?
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    995632 said:
    Gribbo said:
    stonemuse said:
    Gribbo said:

Genuine question

Don't understand why, despite numerous real life examples, some people are acting like a pre-contract agreement is some conspiracy theory/little green man type concept that doesn't exist. 
    I don't think that at all mate, just would've thought you'd sign a conventional contract that specifies the date of signing, and that you'll become a player for the new club on such-and-such date (a couple of months down the line), followed by the usual jargon that is in a conventional contract, as opposed to a separate contract entirely that says you're "Pre-contracted" to sign a conventional contract in 2 / 3 / 4 months time.

As that ain't the case, is it also not the case that there will more than likely be an opportunity for any involved party to pull the plug on it, in the time that the "pre-contract" expires, and the conventional contract needs to be signed, without having to pay a "7 figure fee"?
    I think this is exactly what a footballers pre-contract actually is. The football world just uses a different term to show that it isn't starting immediately.
  • Options
    edited March 6
    fenaddick said:
    Gribbo said:
    995632 said:
    Gribbo said:
    stonemuse said:
    Gribbo said:

Genuine question

I think this is exactly what a footballers pre-contract actually is. The football world just uses a different term to show that it isn't starting immediately.
    Yeah, exactly my initial point.

Cheers mate 👍
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    995632 said:
    Gribbo said:
    stonemuse said:
    Gribbo said:

Genuine question

No need to be signed, because it is already signed, because the pre-contract is binding and the regular contract comes into effect on July 1. The pre contract contains all of the element like the contract lenght.
  • Options

We are the biggest club in L1 and were never getting relegated once our previous manager was removed.  We will be going up to the Championship next season and likely be back in the Premier League where we belong within 3. 😀

Welcome back Thomas Sandgaard
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

So surely that says a "pre-contract" ain't worth a w**k and confirms that it's a dreamt up idea, if it's being signed while under CONTRACT for another club. And in which case, both parties (Dobbo and other club) should've waited and signed conventional CONTRACTS, like everyone else does, at the right time.

Personally still not sure how him jumping the gun and prancing around for photos in another clubs shirt, while still a Charlton player sits with me, and I was initially a big fan of his as soon as he came in.
    There are UEFA and FiFA rules that allow this situation to happen all the time. 

They’re just as normal as release clauses, like with Joe Gomez. 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    se9addick said:
    Gribbo said:
    stonemuse said:
    Gribbo said:

Genuine question

Jones put the kybosh on Dobbo moving there before their transfer deadline of 14th February for which a small fee would have been received. Dobbo has still signed a pre contract agreement from 1st July, having his photo taken holding up their shirt was probably ill advised. It seems that if the pre contract includes certain terms such as wages, length of contract etc then it’s legally binding and if Dobbo decides he wants to renege on it then us, another club, or indeed more likely Dobbo himself, will have to recompense the Hungarian club and even then it would be if they agreed to it.

Thats how I read the situation anyway. 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    se9addick said:
    Gribbo said:
    stonemuse said:
    Gribbo said:

Genuine question

Jones put the kybosh on Dobbo moving there before their transfer deadline of 14th February for which a small fee would have been received. Dobbo has still signed a pre contract agreement from 1st July, having his photo taken holding up their shirt was probably ill advised. It seems that if the pre contract includes certain terms such as wages, length of contract etc then it’s legally binding and if Dobbo decides he wants to renege on it then us, another club, or indeed more likely Dobbo himself, will have to recompense the Hungarian club and even then it would be if they agreed to it.

I assume he took that photo with the shirt because Scott had agreed to cash in and sell him in February, therefore it would have been a normal transfer, and the photo would be a normal part of the publicity.

If all along the transfer was going to happen in the summer, then he wouldn't have done the photoshoot.
  • Options
    I can see dobbo signing back on loan either at the start of the season or in January. 
  • Options
    I can see dobbo signing back on loan either at the start of the season or in January. 

I don't think we'll miss him or need him next season 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    se9addick said:
    Gribbo said:
    stonemuse said:
    Gribbo said:

Genuine question

Technically he already went to Budapest, and had only waiting for the paperwork, and a medical, that day only his family had to follow him, but Jones pulled back him form Hungary last minute.

Imagine how happy he was that time. Now, he plays for Charlton give his best, instead of Jones. 
  • Options
    I absolutely love Dobson, but truth be told, the desire doesn't appear to be there anymore for me. Either that or he's absolutely knackered.

I imagine he's off to Hungary no matter what, and Jones words are just to galvanise fans. He can't exactly say he's off definitely but we need him for now, could have a negative impact. 

Regardless, not really something to get to worked up about, out of our control now and as long as we stay up, I'll be thankful to him.

I trust Jones to adequately replace Dobson, I'll say that much.
    This where I am at.. I think it was more in January stop the transfer, as it will be hard to find someone to come in that is up to speed.. And allow Jones to bring his own players in summer.

It is disappointing it is ending this way, but we move on, and build
  • Options
    all gone Semedo 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I absolutely love Dobson, but truth be told, the desire doesn't appear to be there anymore for me. Either that or he's absolutely knackered.

I imagine he's off to Hungary no matter what, and Jones words are just to galvanise fans. He can't exactly say he's off definitely but we need him for now, could have a negative impact. 

Regardless, not really something to get to worked up about, out of our control now and as long as we stay up, I'll be thankful to him.

I trust Jones to adequately replace Dobson, I'll say that much.
    We had a same situation. We had a contract extension neagtions with one of our striker. But after a long injury history, and only after one promising half year, he wants a big money. But we refused it, and sent it to loan to different team, instead of pay for him at his last half year. And give his minutes to the youngsters. The life is big director, his first game was against us, he came from the bench scored two goals. The first was a penalty, and he asked for the ball before that, to take that penalty. Than he had celebrate with the crowd...

So in my memories he will be only like mercenary, not one of us.
  • Options
    He's got the shackles of a two game suspension off his back now.

He'll need to avoid picking up another six bookings between now and the end of the season to avoid a three match ban (which I presume can carry over into next season, should he stay), but that could have been weighing on his mind these last couple of matches.
    It'll be interesting if he clatters a Carlisle player within 30 seconds on Saturday, as he's not been able to do that for weeks  
    More like months since we played Carlisle.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    se9addick said:
    Gribbo said:
    stonemuse said:
    Gribbo said:

Genuine question

I assume he took that photo with the shirt because Scott had agreed to cash in and sell him in February, therefore it would have been a normal transfer, and the photo would be a normal part of the publicity.

If all along the transfer was going to happen in the summer, then he wouldn't have done the photoshoot.
    Fair point tbf.
  • Options
    He looked sloppy for Cheltenham's first goal but then looking at how he assisted our winner, was an excellent piece of play. I think it's the case of tiredness and also he's being pushed wider now rather than being able to own any midfield space in the middle.
  • Options
    Dobson was hanging back from the pitch celebrations at Cheltenham. 
    I think it most likely that he leaves at the end of the season.
  • Options
    edited March 7
    Hopefully Terry Taylor is just being put back into match contention with the utmost kid gloves, rather than because he cant get a look in - But I'd like to see him in place of Dobson a few times before the end of the season, as we may have a ready made replacement in the house

Thats if he's even in Jones' plans... Wont be shocked if he's loaned out next season.
  • Options
    Anything is possible, so the prospect of re-signing him despite his pre-contract having been signed is not beyond the realms of possibility - much would depend on a) settlement amount and b) political factors - can Dobbo:Scott relationship be reconciled, does it need to be or is it Scott moving to pastures new come the summer etc.?

On Dobbo’s recent form, I think he is adjusting from a World where he was largely walking on water no matter if he misplaced a pass or two in game to one in which his new gaffer will give him a rightly royal b*ll*cking from the touch line if his poor pass puts the team in trouble etc. I have been home and away for nearly all the games since the new year and you can see when ‘live’ the facial expressions and body language better when those interactions happens more so than when watching on Charlton TV. Unlike Terrell by way of example who would hold his hand up and apologise directly to the bench (effectively managing upwards), I saw Dobbo on more than one occasion pull a ‘wtf’ facial expression in the first games in which NJ was in charge. I don’t think this was done out of disrespect to the manager or anybody else, I just think this was an interaction he has not been accustomed to.

The reactions appear to have stopped but I think his game and probably mindset is a bit more cautious in the knowledge that more critical errors will be called out and he will get rightly b*ll*cked as much as the rest of them. 

I fancy Dobbo to reach Dobbo at his best over the next 4-6 games once he has adjusted and will likely be encouraged by what NJ has brought to his game. Hope he stays.
  • Options
    Pre-contracts are generally not binding under English law as they are usually marked 'Subject to Contract'
    In this case the contract not only valid by hungarian law, but valid by uefa law too.

This is not a verbal agreement. Id the 'Subject to Contract' contains all of the element of the final contract, also valid by the English 
    I’m sure a decent lawyer would see him clear if he wants to stay.
    Who knows. He might actually fancy the change.