Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

“Probably the best song writer on Charlton Life…”

Comments

• Options
    Greenie said:
    Here’s a link to The Measures debut album ‘Twice Cut Once’. All songs written by yours truely.
    We are a five piece band with fellow Addict Kev Portch on bass. Oh yes and the first song has a reference to our club as well. We have the fabulous local singer Jade Ruby Foreman featuring on one of the tracks as well.

🤘 🙌
  • Options
    Greenie said:
    Here’s a link to The Measures debut album ‘Twice Cut Once’. All songs written by yours truely.
    We are a five piece band with fellow Addict Kev Portch on bass. Oh yes and the first song has a reference to our club as well. We have the fabulous local singer Jade Ruby Foreman featuring on one of the tracks as well.

Listening now loving it 👋👋👍

Love the expression in the singing.
    I'm trying to guess the recording setup. I'm a bit torn cause it sounds live though to my not so accurate ears at times the drums sound a little separated from the rest..? 
    I'm curious

• Options
    Greenie said:

I'm trying to guess the recording setup. I'm a bit torn cause it sounds live though to my not so accurate ears at times the drums sound a little separated from the rest..? 
    I'm curious

Thank you.
    We recorded it live (drums, bass, rhythm guitar, some vox) so we could get the engine room cooking. I prefer to record like that, all the players get a good feel for the songs and add their nuances. Then we added harp, Sax, keys etc and a couple of guitar parts and BVs Everyone got one run through and then we went for the takes. No more than two takes otherwise IMO it gets stale.
    Re the drums, good ear mate….we had an issue with the main files on a couple of the songs, the miking up of the Tom’s was not the best so we had to play around a little in Cubase.
    That said we are very happy with the end result.
    cheers

• Options
    there could have been a phase issue with the drum mics, if the toms/snare were close mic’d and there were overheads on the kit too, it can cause some phase issue between the two as the same sound is reaching them both at different times.
    Can be a good thing sometimes not, depends if it sounds good it is good!
  • Options
    there could have been a phase issue with the drum mics, if the toms/snare were close mic’d and there were overheads on the kit too, it can cause some phase issue between the two as the same sound is reaching them both at different times.
    Totally off topic, but I’m intrigued - why ‘EugenesAxe’ ?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    @Lordflashheart If you have more than one instance of a sound and they aren’t sonically aligned perfectly then they are out of phase: a soundwave has a positive and negative side to its waveform, once it has cycled through both it has completed one cycle, how long it takes to do this is it’s frequency; we hear this as the pitch so the faster (higher) the frequency the higher the pitch of the sound.
    We can hear from 20hz(20 cycles a second) up to 20,000 (20000 cycles a second) though this top end drops off individually depending on age, hearing etc.
    Anyway if these multiple versions of the same sound, eg different mics picking up the same sound but in different parts of the room, the bits of their waveform that aren’t aligned with each other will cancel each other out, and produce a sound that is a sort of hybrid mixture of the two.
    This generally isn’t desirable in traditional recording as that’s usually about capturing an authentic copy of the sound.

Having said that sometimes it’s useful to deliberately put something out of phase to cancel out a particular element.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Technically speaking out of phase cancellation  is when they are at exactly opposite points of their cycle at the same time- 180• out of phase, though you can have degrees of out of phase: 45•, 90•
    Studio mics can have a phase switch to reverse the phase to counteract this, you would only switch this on one of the mics otherwise you’ve just but them back out of phase again just reversed the polarity!
  • Options
    God sorry completely misread that!
    my name… it’s a little tip o the hat to Pink Floyd 🙌
  • Options
    Greenie said:

What's Leahurst 252 about?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Greenie said:

Ha - in 1986 I left home, myself, Kev Portch and Phil (who mixed and mastered the album) all played in a band and moved into 252 Leahurst Rd in Hither Green. Eric was the name of our dope plant that we grew in the flat. So ‘three blokes and Eric at Leahurst 252’. 😎
  • Options
    Greenie said:
    Off_it said:
    Greenie said:

Ha - in 1986 I left home, myself, Kev Portch and Phil (who mixed and mastered the album) all played in a band and moved into 252 Leahurst Rd in Hither Green. Eric was the name of our dope plant that we grew in the flat. So ‘three blokes and Eric at Leahurst 252’. 😎
    I thought it might be that. My nan lived at 216.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Greenie said:
    Off_it said:
    Greenie said:

Greenie could've been her dealer....
  • Options
    Nice one Greenie, by the way. You've got a great bunch of musicians there.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Greenie said:

• Options
    Greenie said:
    Greenie said:

I'm curious

Thank you.
    We recorded it live (drums, bass, rhythm guitar, some vox) so we could get the engine room cooking. I prefer to record like that, all the players get a good feel for the songs and add their nuances. Then we added harp, Sax, keys etc and a couple of guitar parts and BVs Everyone got one run through and then we went for the takes. No more than two takes otherwise IMO it gets stale.
    Re the drums, good ear mate….we had an issue with the main files on a couple of the songs, the miking up of the Tom’s was not the best so we had to play around a little in Cubase.
    cheers

Well, whatever you did to get there, in a way, made it unique and the end result is great 👋👋👋
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:
    Off_it said:
    Greenie said:
    Off_it said:
    Greenie said:

She might've been Greenie's dealer .....
  • Options
    Greenie said:
    Greenie said:

I'm curious

Thank you.
    cheers

Well, whatever you did to get there, in a way, made it unique and the end result is great 👋👋👋
    Ah... and also, you did really well with the band's name. Its apparently very hard to come up with a name that is not already taken.👍
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Saga Lout said:
    Off_it said:
    Greenie said:
    Off_it said:
    Greenie said:

She might've been Greenie's dealer .....
    She was 😀
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    “Be Careful with that Axe Eugene.”........Pink Floyd.
    First recorded 1968 as a single.
    Then featured on the 1969 album Ummagumma.
    There are also several live versions.
    Don’t know who Eugene is but for those of you who don’t know, an Axe is a slang term for a guitar........much used by musicians.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    “Be Careful with that Axe Eugene.”........Pink Floyd.
    First recorded 1968 as a single.
    Then featured on the 1969 album Ummagumma.
    There are also one or two live versions.
    Don’t know who Eugene is but for those of you who don’t know, an Axe is a slang term for a guitar.....much used by musicians.
    Indeed. The live at pompei version is superb 
  • Options
    Congratulations Saba, great song!
  • Options
    I like that your default role is ‘songwriter’, I’m the same, but there’s not much call for it when a fence needs fixing, or the toilets leaking!
  • Options
    I like that your default role is ‘songwriter’, I’m the same, but there’s not much call for it when a fence needs fixing, or the toilets leaking!
    Thanks for the union 👍👍
    I'm also great at discovering therapeutic speed hump. There's one near the Terry Tyzack swimming pool in Perth WA. Now that lockdown is over I'm gonna start driving tourists over it so, a bit of meaning 💪💪
  • Options
    Therapeutic for you or them 😉
  • Options
    Therapeutic for you or them 😉
    I'm on boom gate retreat at the moment
  • Options
    I'm A Grandad 🎺🎺🎺🎉🎉🎉
    So of course, had to contribute to the celebrations in the only way I know.
    Here's the info on it as appeared on Soundcloud.

Plenty of family specific references but hey I'm a 'SABA' (Hebrew for Grandad)...

The Boy's name is Vincent and the song called:

Vinnie's Bounce

Enjoy 🍷🍷

Duet with my wonderful daughter Maya to celebrate the birth of Vincent the son of Michael & my daughter Ruby. My grandson and Maya's Nephew.
    When Ruby was born she was named after the song 'Ruby Baby' (Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller). Ruby Baby (Fagen's version) lends its spirit and is (very) briefly quoted in this song

Listen to Vinnie's Bounce  #SoundCloud
    Great stuff, really enjoyed this 👍
  • Options
    Greenie said:
    I'm A Grandad 🎺🎺🎺🎉🎉🎉
    So of course, had to contribute to the celebrations in the only way I know.
    Here's the info on it as appeared on Soundcloud.

Plenty of family specific references but hey I'm a 'SABA' (Hebrew for Grandad)...

The Boy's name is Vincent and the song called:

Vinnie's Bounce

Enjoy 🍷🍷

Duet with my wonderful daughter Maya to celebrate the birth of Vincent the son of Michael & my daughter Ruby. My grandson and Maya's Nephew.
    When Ruby was born she was named after the song 'Ruby Baby' (Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller). Ruby Baby (Fagen's version) lends its spirit and is (very) briefly quoted in this song

Listen to Vinnie's Bounce  #SoundCloud
    Great stuff, really enjoyed this 👍
    Thanks mate, appreciate it 🙏
  • Options
    Here's one of mine. Recorded and filmed in my living room

https://youtu.be/lMKFSuDc4wE
    Far out

Love this thread