Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

“Probably the best song writer on Charlton Life…”

Comments

• rananegra said:
    Here's some of my stuff. https://martinhoward.bandcamp.com/releases

It's demo quality, recorded in my house by a mate. I've been working on more, but it is taking a long time.  
    Sounds great and true as it is. Made me stop and sit during busy morning routine so I must have been moved.
    Loved it

• Interesting that there was a big spike in visits to my website in the London area yesterday.
    I didn't realise the level of detail I could get from the analytics via Spotify, Bandcamp, Apple Music...Amazon Music is useless though!
    1 visitor in St George Bermuda, is that you?
  • Leuth said:
    Fine. Fine, here's a song I wrote and 'performed' (about the first lockdown). Warning: extreme bedroom quality, also a dash of weirdness

https://ilxor.bandcamp.com/track/its-actually-a-charm
    Beautifully unhinged 👍
  • Talking of  Charlton supporting songwriters what happened to Mika? 
  • If Mika was a Charlton fan he kept bloody quiet about it at school
  • Leuth said:
    Fine. Fine, here's a song I wrote and 'performed' (about the first lockdown). Warning: extreme bedroom quality, also a dash of weirdness

Blimey, you get in even more mentions of different birds than I do on my album and I've got 2 songs that are basically ornithological on it. One is the tale of meeting my Spanner supporting ornithologist mate in Lewisham Hospital a few days before he died. 
  • rananegra said:
    Leuth said:

Blimey, you get in even more mentions of different birds than I do on my album and I've got 2 songs that are basically ornithological on it. One is the tale of meeting my Spanner supporting ornithologist mate in Lewisham Hospital a few days before he died. 
    Listening to that one now. Lovely, heartbreaking stuff to be sure
  • Just noticed that streaming map could also be a heat map for Ben Watsons movement!
  • Sponsored links:

• Interesting that there was a big spike in visits to my website in the London area yesterday.
    I didn't realise the level of detail I could get from the analytics via Spotify, Bandcamp, Apple Music...Amazon Music is useless though!
    1 visitor in St George Bermuda, is that you?
    Yeah, you can see at a glance where the Charlton Lifers live!

• I listened to it all the way through, @Leuth.

I did, honest. :smile:

• edited June 2021
    Come on musicians, I'm sure you've all got some more material to share. I was blown away by the eclectic nature of the offerings, listened to all of them and still keep on coming back for a few...
    Besides, if you are all a bit like me - craving for a tiny moment in the sun for your - otherwise hard drive tenants,  here's your window...
     Lord knows, I have had enough rejections over the years of - what I like to call:"my career" and so, criticism..?  Bring it on !!! (I do actually learn from it after I finish sulking)

Ok so I'll start

Here's what happened when the academy wanted an assignment of combined digital with acoustic instruments, blended together for a piece of music recorded on Garage band with one day left to deadline.
    Used a bit of guitar to go with the samples but couldn't resist reaching the top shelf for wife's granddad's accordion.
    I never learned to play that thing partly cause I'm pretty certain a Rat died in there (probably on the inside of the Eb key, cause whatever you did, that Eb would always play...) and the fooking thing stank so badly my wife got rid of it a few days later...
    Anyway it was fun...
    It's called 'No Change' and like all my other stuff, this one is a lite hearted and very rushed so words entered from whichever language I was terrorising at the time.

So after that short intro, here it is (and once again, don't let me be the only idiot, post yours😉)

Listen to No Change  on #SoundCloud
  • @LennyLowrent very interesting track, really like the sound design on it, you certainly have an identity, and I like it 👍
    what were you studying at ‘the academy’?

Im currently trying to summon the motivation to create some new content as it’s referred to these days, will post it here when done…
  • Here's the band I played drums in with some friends from about 10 years ago. I'm gutted we were only able to record these 4 tracks but listening to them always bring back good memories

https://m.soundcloud.com/khali-mist
  • Also this is a brilliant thread - I've really enjoyed listening to what everyone has posted 
  • @LennyLowrent very interesting track, really like the sound design on it, you certainly have an identity, and I like it 👍
    what were you studying at ‘the academy’?

Im currently trying to summon the motivation to create some new content as it’s referred to these days, will post it here when done…
    I was studying certificate 4 Jazz as a piano player. It is the most basic course the West Australian Academy of Performing Arts (WAAPA) offers, but still it was a jump in the deep end for me as I came very late to the piano and my only partial qualification was as a toolmaker...
    It was extremely rigid and structured (unlike the popular conception of Jazz). It was great in showing me how to study and how to practice. I met a lot of great musicians which can be daunting at first, but when speaking to them they tell you about the great musicians they feel daunted by so proportion restored 
  • @LennyLowrent ah brilliant did you graduate, what are you doing now? I’m sure you feel better off for doing it: your music has the feel of someone who is comfortable with their musical identity which I think is a great thing.
    Have you any plans going forward? Personally I feel I’m shouting into the abyss at the moment as the last 18months has put the creative industry in a weird dystopian place where zombie like people with nano-attention are only capable of prodding their phone screens when they see cleavage or a six-pack, oh for another renaissance…
  • @LennyLowrent ah brilliant did you graduate, what are you doing now? I’m sure you feel better off for doing it: your music has the feel of someone who is comfortable with their musical identity which I think is a great thing.
    Have you any plans going forward? Personally I feel I’m shouting into the abyss at the moment as the last 18months has put the creative industry in a weird dystopian place where zombie like people with nano-attention are only capable of prodding their phone screens when they see cleavage or a six-pack, oh for another renaissance…
    Gee that's me 87% of my waking life these days...
    I've just became a grandad so my plans over the next decade or so is to muster some optimism from somewhere (I'm on the right track with my choice of football team). Seriously, studying at any age any level anything you passionate about is great so, not many plans, I like many others only got one song in me and I keep writing it over and over...
  • Sponsored links:

• Off_it said:
    @Off_it Ha yep it’s all true, same with Spinal Tap. 
    So, I love your profile pic, to you the ultimate question: do you prefer the Dianno era stuff being sung by Bruce?
  • Setup for a live stream later….

• Great 👍 run us through it.
  • The concept of the stream is to tackle the last taboo of society: can budget gear sound good?
    im using all Behringer synths, I love them they sound great, but they’re doing now what the Japanese companies did in the early 80’s: copy other makers designs to produce great sounding instruments.
    unfortunately there’s still a lot of snobbery around music equipment so I just wanted to do a little piece to show it is just as good.
    I’m using Ableton to sequence the hardware and the midi tracks within Ableton can be improvised with and remixed on the fly, plus the hardware itself can be changed and brought in and out as desired.
  • Leuth said:
    If Mika was a Charlton fan he kept bloody quiet about it at school
    I saw him at a game against Colchester. He came with his brother back in the Pardew era. 

I had never heard of him but have some of his songs on my Gym playlist now. 

As a cheeky nod to his sexuality he once tweeted about coming out as an Addick.

I thought he was talented and wondered what he was doing now. 

• The concept of the stream is to tackle the last taboo of society: can budget gear sound good?
    im using all Behringer synths, I love them they sound great, but they’re doing now what the Japanese companies did in the early 80’s: copy other makers designs to produce great sounding instruments.
    unfortunately there’s still a lot of snobbery around music equipment so I just wanted to do a little piece to show it is just as good.
    I’m using Ableton to sequence the hardware and the midi tracks within Ableton can be improvised with and remixed on the fly, plus the hardware itself can be changed and brought in and out as desired.
    Make perfect sense to me. I use Behringer PA for live work and yes, one speakers has to warm up before it clicks in, but I agree...
    It always baffled me, what makes one sound 'better' than another... to me what matters most is the relation between the notes. The sound is important but only in relevance to what I'm trying to say so I don't really know what is a 'good sound'
    Make perfect sense to me. I use Behringer PA for live work and yes, one speakers has to warm up before it clicks in, but I agree...
    It always baffled me, what makes one sound 'better' than another... to me what matters most is the relation between the notes. The sound is important but only in relevance to what I'm trying to say so I don't really know what is a 'good sound'
    Behringer now own Musictribe which is an umbrella company that encompasses some of the biggest names in music, their new stuff is top notch but it’s all about the name.
    A sound is good when it is the right sound I think ✊
  • Saga Lout said:
    We used to have a songwriter on here a few years back... 😬😬😬
    Great comment, made me laugh. I've got an album coming out soon and @Greenie has released several.

You can find my stuff here: https://raybanduk.com/

To be fair, I've only got writing credits on a couple of the tracks, but I played on them all...
    Listened to the first track - a bit Black Sabbathy, not that there's anything wrong with that, but the mix could do with a bit of work, or so says AA jr who knows about this sort of thing.
  • Here's one of mine. Recorded and filmed in my living room

https://youtu.be/lMKFSuDc4wE
    You have a shower in your living room?
    Wales were a shower on the pitch tonight.
  • Saga Lout said:
    We used to have a songwriter on here a few years back... 😬😬😬
    Great comment, made me laugh. I've got an album coming out soon and @Greenie has released several.

You can find my stuff here: https://raybanduk.com/

To be fair, I've only got writing credits on a couple of the tracks, but I played on them all...
    Listened to the first track - a bit Black Sabbathy, not that there's anything wrong with that, but the mix could do with a bit of work, or so says AA jr who knows about this sort of thing.
    Thanks, I'm not sure Sabbath was what we were aiming for, but I guess that is the general direction we head in. Having said that, only one of our tracks is that heavy, some of our tracks are quite poppy. All of the tracks have now been remixed by a guy called John Etchells, who worked with Queen and George Harrison (amongst others) in the past. When I've got the vinyl in my hands I will put the whole album on our website for download.